Reconditioning an old gal with 50K original miles

campergal

After a long two year search we found our toy a 1988 toyota dolphin with rear dinette with 50,000 original miles and one owner....but before envy sets in, we found out that it had been sitting completely still for over five years. Being new toy owners we are wondering from the experienced owners what we need to do immediately to save this potential gem. We did find that no only did the seller tell us that it had an air conditioner, which it doesn't, she also told us the unit was "leak free". Well after pulling the contact paper down from the overhead cab there is plywood rot coming in about two feet from the edge and down to the curve in the cab. The outside is truly straight with decals intact and shiny clean windows. The engine compartment is filled with pine needles and leaves and is filthy. We plan to take our honeymoon in it (we're an older couple) and want a safe and enjoyable trip. Please be generous with an advice. My finance' is quite handy and can do carpetry. Thank you in advance for your time.....See you on the road!!

replace ignition wiring, check for rodent damage to hoses wires etc, change all fluids, get new batteries, get new tires, and inspect for and repair all leaks. The rest will shake out in your trip. get the motor moving...

It will probably need new shocks also and possibly air bags.

Sounds like a 400 model, I have a 900 model. Look in the files section and you'll find a Dolphin brochure that describes the different models.

Rot is probably the #1 killer of these MHs. open all the cabinets,, look around the windows and the frig, Look at the ceiling for water stains, the original plastic framed vents will most likely be leaking and need replaced.

We bought our 88 a year and a half ago for 5k, spent another 4 k doing everything to upgrade it (including new tires) and we now have a brand new 25 year old Toyhouse. We bought it mainly to do an extensive trip up to Prudhoe Bay Alaska, but have used it on several trips here in the lower 48.

Ods are real good that you won't run into something that hasn't been discussed, already, but We're always looking for new ideas, so please post about problems, solutions, and of course, adventures.

I've posted everything I've done to it up here on the forum. I have a list of the thread links if your interested, send me an e-mail.

Heres a couple examples you might be interested in

Cabover rot repair

Roof vent replacement

Mechanically, you'll probably need two new batteries (use a "deep cycle" for the coach, and regular start battery for the truck), all new hoses, belts, filters, replace the thermostat. clean the PVC valve. New plugs, rotor, cap, wires. Change the oil and filters in the tranny and engine, Cuss the person who designed the fuel filter location, but change it also.

Propane systems

stove, furnace, frig. regulator and tank hose leaks are common with age - consider upgrading the LP system for new style connections and regulator. Heres a link to what I did

LP Upgrade / Replacements

OK, that should keep you busy for a while. Again, good luck.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Waiter this does bring to mind one thing I macgyver'd on my rig that needs done. Right after I bought my sunrader i was driving home from a small test trip after I had the 1 ton axle put on and i noticed the fuel gage start dropping visibly. I looked over and a lady was paralleling me pointing and saying something so I pulled over at a gas station and discovered the gas lines comming from the tank underneath had a rot hole in them and were spraying fuel right at the metal fitting jutting out of the side top of the tank. I got my trusty knife out and cut the rot part off the end of the hose (didnt have much spare hose left) noticed that the hose was rotted all the way down and near fail. I got out some electrical tape and taped her good and put it back on with extra hose clamps. only now remembered it... is there a kit for the hose replacement, or is it a cut a slice and take to nappa and get length affair?

Yes, Mine has a bad filler line. I need to get under there when it warms up and get it replaced. This seems to also be a common problem.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

THE rear dinette is not a 400 as i have a 1987 400 that has a rear bathroom and two couches and two tables. i think it might be a 500 they madea rear dinette 500 WARNING BRAKES THAT SET YEARS UNTOUCHED WILL ALMOST AWAYS START LEAKING I have seen this before I WOULD REPLACE THE BRAKES COMPLETE. INC mas ter cylinder

i just checked this site NATIONAL RV ARCHIVES that is indeed a model 500 rear dinette.

Tnks Toyota 5.

I never can remember which one is which. I know mine is a 900 and thats the limit of my memory.

There are many files in the file section that are available. Mine didn't come with any books or documentation, but I've been able to find almost all the operating manuals and have put them in a binder.

ALSO - I have the Factory Service Manual for an 88 and an 85. These are large files (83meg and 58 meg respectively) if you want to download them, at

http://iflyez.com/DOWNLOAD/85_TOYOTA_TRUCK%20_Service_Manual.pdf

http://iflyez.com/DOWNLOAD/88_TOYOTA_TRUCK_Service_Manual.pdf

Remember, these are big files so it could take several minutes to download (OR, It could take Derek about 7 weeks to download on his dialup)

John Mc

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

Wow!!!!! Thank you, Derek, Walter, Waiter and Totem!!!!. You've given us some hope. We've got our "to do" list now. As we were taking it to get a tune up and fluid change the brakes seized and would not let it move. Unfortunately we had not acquired our RV road service card yet so spent a fortune to get it to a mechanic. We'll post our experiences here. Thank you for your time!!!!

After a long two year search we found our toy a 1988 toyota dolphin with rear dinette with 50,000 original miles and one owner....but before envy sets in, we found out that it had been sitting completely still for over five years. Being new toy owners we are wondering from the experienced owners what we need to do immediately to save this potential gem. We did find that no only did the seller tell us that it had an air conditioner, which it doesn't, she also told us the unit was "leak free". Well after pulling the contact paper down from the overhead cab there is plywood rot coming in about two feet from the edge and down to the curve in the cab. The outside is truly straight with decals intact and shiny clean windows. The engine compartment is filled with pine needles and leaves and is filthy. We plan to take our honeymoon in it (we're an older couple) and want a safe and enjoyable trip. Please be generous with an advice. My finance' is quite handy and can do carpetry. Thank you in advance for your time.....See you on the road!!