18 foot shorty - 14 gallon gas tank?

A.j.

Going to take a look at an 18 foot shorty tomorrow... it's an '85 Sunland. Seller says its got a 14 gallon tank... does that sound right? I thought that 17 gallon was the smallest.

If it really is a 14 gallon, I'm guessing I'll get 150 miles to a tank (he says he gets 14-16 mpg, but I'm going to be conservative here). Makes me a little less excited about the deal, but I'm wondering if he's wrong? Maybe it's really 17 gallons and he's just filling up with 14 gallons every time the fuel empty light goes off (and there's really 4 gallons in reserve)?

Aj

The 'norm' in motorhome is 17.2 gallons. But I think there might have been a smaller tank available in the standard pickup. The easiest way to do a quick check is to measure the tank. The 17.2 gal tank is 37" long. I think the smaller tank is 3"-4" shorter.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/produits/specifications/TO8B

Interesting... has anyone replaced their shorty Toy tanks with the "larger" (everything is relative!) 17.2 gallon tanks?

Just found this link for a "new" 1985 Toyota pickup truck fuel tank... pretty affordable:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/fuel_tank/toyota/pickup.html

Which is making me curious - is it a fairly common and/or straightforward to swap out fuel tanks in Toy RVs (should one malfunction/rust out/etc)? Easy enough to do (relatively speaking of course)?

My 17 gallon tank hits empty at 13 gallons. Pretty much everyone who has commented on the gas tank says the same thing. Unless someone switched it out to a smaller gas tank at sometime it's probably 17. Of course you could always measure it. Depending on where it's located rust is always a possibility but I haven't heard of many people who needed to switch out their gas tanks. Simple if carburtated, more involved if fuel injected cause the fuel pump on those is inside the tank

LS

Interesting... has anyone replaced their shorty Toy tanks with the "larger" (everything is relative!) 17.2 gallon tanks?

Just found this link for a "new" 1985 Toyota pickup truck fuel tank... pretty affordable:

http://www.autoparts...ota/pickup.html

Which is making me curious - is it a fairly common and/or straightforward to swap out fuel tanks in Toy RVs (should one malfunction/rust out/etc)? Easy enough to do (relatively speaking of course)?

DEREK i am checking my 1988 truck factory oweners guide it says the short wheelbase 17.2 us gallons the long wheelbase is 19.3.according to a site on national rv national rv arquive dolphion and seabreze came with the 17.2 all models .BUT the 1978 short box trucks i had one and my 1978 minimax moterhome had a 14 gallon tank. the early long bed had a larger tank.

I have read that some Dolphins had 13 gallon tanks (that is, I've read some older posts on the Yahoo group from owners). Maybe they are mistaken though... well, I'll find out tomorrow! Where is the gas tank located? I'll look underneath and measure if I can find it :).

No Sunrader ever came from the factory with a 14 gallon tank. Only possibility is that it's a newer tank and the owners were to cheap to put in OEM tank

LS

I will be looking at an 89 Sunrader tomorrow that I was told has a 14 gallon tank.... I will measure it upon inspection and follow up here with my findings.

The 89 Sunrader V6 Shorty I just looked at had a fuel tank that measured 34" in length. And the owner did say it was 14 gallon, and that they would carry a full 5 gallon gas can with them for their trips..... have not personally verified the actual fuel capacity as they sold it to me with a nearly full tank of gas, and I had a mere 15 minute ride home.... so the only thing I can say for sure right now, is that the measurement on this one is 3 inches shorter in length than Derek says the 17 gallon tank measures out at.

I'd just about bet money that you have a 17 gallon.

If its like mine, it reads empty with about 3 gallons left. I always carry a small 2 1/2 gallons of gas.

post-4544-0-91657100-1334452210_thumb.jp

IMPORTANT - Buy a good funnel. The one I have is about 1 foot long, nothing fancy, cost about $2 at auto parts store or Harbor Freight. Heres why.

The problem is the new and approved Government EPA gas cans. THEY SUCK.:ranting2:

You can't get that Government Approved Gas can nozzle into the tank far enough to activate their new and approved anti spill valve. And if your lucky enough to actually get some gas out of the can and into the tank, you can't seem to tilt the gas can far enough to get more than about 1/2 of the contents of the gas can into your tank.

WAITERS METHOD for using the Government Approved EPA gas cans.:ThumbUp:

1) Put the foot long funnel into your tanks filler neck.

2) Remove that wonderful EPA approved filler neck from the gas can. Fight the urge to throw that piece of $hit as far as you can.

3) Tilt the can and dump the gas directly into the funnel. If your very careful, you'll get all of the gas out of the can and into the RV without spilling one single drop.

4) Reinstall the gas cap on the RV , and reinstall the piece of crap EPA filler neck on the gas can.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

another set of instructions.

any sat or sun get into your favorite form of transportation. go in any direction. keep eyes open for "YARD SALE" sign. now look around and buy an old gas can. still might not work, but might :o).

Those must be California gas cans. We can still buy the old plastic gas containers with a removable spout that fits into the gas filler. The problem is that they do build up a lot of pressure on a hot day.

Man you bought it and you didn't call me. Better post some pics on my site

Linda S

The 89 Sunrader V6 Shorty I just looked at had a fuel tank that measured 34" in length. And the owner did say it was 14 gallon, and that they would carry a full 5 gallon gas can with them for their trips..... have not personally verified the actual fuel capacity as they sold it to me with a nearly full tank of gas, and I had a mere 15 minute ride home.... so the only thing I can say for sure right now, is that the measurement on this one is 3 inches shorter in length than Derek says the 17 gallon tank measures out at.

a few years ago w e made a trip from all controled washington state to the wide open cowboy state of WY OMING and what did we bring home a handfull of those wonderful illegal gas can spouts. to put on my collection of fine good old outlawed real gas cans. AND IF YOU READ THE FINE PRINT ON SOME OF THOSE GOV>ORG JUNK GAS CANS IT SAYS NOT FOR USE TO REFILL MOTER VEHICLES. you tell me that one.

Bob C;

I've looked around everywhere for a good ole style gas can. I can't find them anywhere. (I live in Ohio)

I've been told that these are mandated by the EPA.

Get me spun up on this and I'm starting a web site aimed at Government gas cans.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto