I thought I had figured a way to get the dipstick in by pinching it 2 " above the top of the tube and pushing with a slight jerking action and repeating this till it was almost all the way in then wiggling it till it was seated. Yesterday at the gas station this stopped working and I ended up breaking it off where it is riveted to the top cap. I managed to get it out and put the top part in so it won't leak. I would like to come up with a way to check the trans level witheout all the drama and difficulty of this setup. I have had many cars and trucks in my time and I've never had any problems with any dipsticks before now. Is it just that I've had a bad one all along or is there something wrong with our motor??? I noticed that there is a short 90 degree bend at the tip of the dipstick it looks like it was made that way, or not ???? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. <br /> vanman

my dolphin 4oo auto is a 22re 4 . the stick is not real grat took me while to find it. only had since novmber so dont rember will check tommorw . MY dauter had a 2004 malibo six it had no stick and no provision for one. BOOK quote TAKE TO DEALER TO CHECK if leaks spend 1000 doolors to fix my qote. MORE GREAT IDEAS FROM GM MORONS

Yes the dip stick is very small very cramped and damn hard to get to. It also is very had to get a funnel in but that is the way it is but don't feel too bad every thing that transmission was in is equally hard to deal with. Jeep used them Volvo and Toyota among others.

I thought I had figured a way to get the dipstick in by pinching it 2 " above the top of the tube and pushing with a slight jerking action and repeating this till it was almost all the way in then wiggling it till it was seated. Yesterday at the gas station this stopped working and I ended up breaking it off where it is riveted to the top cap. I managed to get it out and put the top part in so it won't leak. I would like to come up with a way to check the trans level witheout all the drama and difficulty of this setup. I have had many cars and trucks in my time and I've never had any problems with any dipsticks before now. Is it just that I've had a bad one all along or is there something wrong with our motor??? I noticed that there is a short 90 degree bend at the tip of the dipstick it looks like it was made that way, or not ???? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

vanman

The trick is to remove the oil dipstick first, then hold the clip that locks the tranny dip so it is out of the way (or be caregul not to snag on it) AND when you remove the dip note the rotation of the dipstick when it clears the tube during removal - if you put it back in starting at that same rotation it can be fed in IF one chokes up (or rather down) on the dipstick so that you have a good grip without bending.

As for the bend, my guess is someone has man handled it - mine has no bends nor did the one in my 1992 itasca spirit.

DanAatTheCape

The trick is to remove the oil dipstick first, then hold the clip that locks the tranny dip so it is out of the way (or be caregul not to snag on it) AND when you remove the dip note the rotation of the dipstick when it clears the tube during removal - if you put it back in starting at that same rotation it can be fed in IF one chokes up (or rather down) on the dipstick so that you have a good grip without bending.

As for the bend, my guess is someone has man handled it - mine has no bends nor did the one in my 1992 itasca spirit.

Ahh maybe that's it, it had several accordion bends at the top when we got it. I think I'll try to order a new one from Toyota, at least I'll know its in the shape and length it's supposed to be. If not I can fix the old one if I have to. Thanks 4 that,

vanman

I have the same problem as you with both of my trucks. I hate the transmission dipstick with a passion. On my box truck it was reading full when warm, even though the transmission was down SEVERAL quarts of fluid. Turned out to be a mangled stick that I replaced with the one from my MH (since I drive the box truck and not the MH). Even still, I have to fight with it every time I want to check the fluids.