Hi All,

Any of you out there have a 78 Toyota Chinook? And, if so, have you had problems finding the right oil filter for it?

I was trying to change the oil today on my camper, and, of course, the oil filter was stuck. Eventually, I got it off, and the oil filter that they gave me at the store didn't match up (it was half the size of the one I took off the camper). So I brought both of them back down to the store, and I read off the code on the original oil filter to the guy, he brought me out one that looked to be the correct size (a Frame). And, I put that on. Well, you can guess what happened next.....

Valdez oil spill down the driveway. Luckily there weren't any pelicans or dolphins around.

Anyways, I decided it might be a good idea to check in the owners manual. (Probably should have done that from the get-go. No kidding!)

So, I did, and it said to use "Nippondenso 15601-44010".

Of course, they didn't have that at the store. They said they could special order it, and it would take 5 days. They showed me a picture of it on their computer and it was a large filter, just like the one I'd gotten off the camper originally.

But, they said that their computers were matching up to an ACdelco PF13 5579164 oil filter. But this oil filter was half the size of the original oil filter.

Anyways, has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you usually have to special order your oil filters?

I checked the Fram site and they said that a PH3614 should be the correct one. Just remember that you are looking for an oil filter for a Toyota pickup with 20r engine. Tthe engine does not care if it has a giant cracker box on it or a pickup bed. It is still the same engine and filter. There is a possibilty that the filter that you took off was not the correct one. I would go wiith the filter that the book calls for and nnot worry about it.

I called the local Walmart and they can't do oil changes because their lifts are not rated for 6000# load. I question that but will not argue. That means that they can't change the oil in a Chevy Suburban or Lincoln Navigator.

I will be changing my oil/filter every 3000 miles. I will probably carry spare oil & filter with me on longer trips and change the oil when needed,. I will recycle the oil when I get to a Walmart.

back in the 1970s the factury toyota oil filter was full size. somtime in the mid 80s the local dealer told me that toyota downsized their filters for the 20r. and indeed they were much smaller diamater but still worked fine if you lost oil it mabe the wrong filter. 1977 toyota wagen 78 truck 78 moterhome all 20r

does that have adaptr or anything on it my 1978 20r minmax has an aftermarket eng oil cooler fitted to a replacement filter adapter plate and takes a big ford oil filter.

Just changed the oil in my 78 Galavan. If you have the 20R engine the correct filter is a fram 3614. Good Luck.

Hi All,

Any of you out there have a 78 Toyota Chinook? And, if so, have you had problems finding the right oil filter for it?

I was trying to change the oil today on my camper, and, of course, the oil filter was stuck. Eventually, I got it off, and the oil filter that they gave me at the store didn't match up (it was half the size of the one I took off the camper). So I brought both of them back down to the store, and I read off the code on the original oil filter to the guy, he brought me out one that looked to be the correct size (a Frame). And, I put that on. Well, you can guess what happened next.....

Valdez oil spill down the driveway. Luckily there weren't any pelicans or dolphins around.

Anyways, I decided it might be a good idea to check in the owners manual. (Probably should have done that from the get-go. No kidding!)

So, I did, and it said to use "Nippondenso 15601-44010".

Of course, they didn't have that at the store. They said they could special order it, and it would take 5 days. They showed me a picture of it on their computer and it was a large filter, just like the one I'd gotten off the camper originally.

But, they said that their computers were matching up to an ACdelco PF13 5579164 oil filter. But this oil filter was half the size of the original oil filter.

Anyways, has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you usually have to special order your oil filters?