Had 100% good luck with this forum. Thanks to everyone.

I'm going to be swapping out my old 5 lug welded duels for an 8 lug GM truck axle. The only information I can find online says the ratio is 4:11. (factory?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Fred

AFAIK, the most common ratio fitted to motorhomes on the Toyota C&Cs was 4.10:1. Some other ratios were available. Winnebago ordered C&Cs with 4.30:1 in '93 (a least, I own one). I recall reading that early (70s) had 3.90:1. Most owners seem to complain that (especially the 22RE) they can't 'pull' the 4.10:1 (especially in O/D). There are good reports from those who have swapped in a 4.56:1 or 4.88:1 'pumpkin'. Better acceleration, same fuel economy (or better) I don't remember any complaints.

I'll just add that since I own both the 93 Winnie with the 4.30:1 and a 91 SeaBreeze with the 4.10:1 I can comment a little. Both v6s, both about the same size & weight. Numerically, the difference between 4.1 & 4.3 ratio is only ~5%. Can't say I really notice any difference (a least with a V6) in how they drive. Not a big enough difference to do the change unless I had some really good reason. So if I was going to do a change it would probably be to the 4.88:1.

I believe "you're batting 1000" is a baseball term (and hopefully means it's good). I know nothing about baseball, beyond "three strikes & you're out".

Yes I believe Derek is right. Early ones with the fake duallies are supposed to be 3.9's. Wouldn't hurt to bump it up a little. Reduce engine lugging.

LS

I'll just add that since I own both the 93 Winnie with the 4.30:1 and a 91 SeaBreeze with the 4.10:1 I can comment a little. Both v6s, both about the same size & weight. Numerically, the difference between 4.1 & 4.3 ratio is only ~5%. Can't say I really notice any difference (a least with a V6) in how they drive. Not a big enough difference to do the change unless I had some really good reason. So if I was going to do a change it would probably be to the 4.88:1.

I believe "you're batting 1000" is a baseball term (and hopefully means it's good). I know nothing about baseball, beyond "three strikes & you're out".

I've got to admit, I missed the 'fine print' in your title saying you've got a '78 Galavan. 16' long & very light (relatively). I'm not sure why you want to swap axles at all. Just change the ratio. Certainly no need for load carrying capacity. Toss the strange rear rim and go with 4 same sized tires all around. It'll sure make it easier to carry a spare!