Help! Shower ptrap came loose from drain on 94 Warrior

Lias

Hi there, I was all ready for my upcoming trip this Sunday to San Diego when I saw that the black p-trap pipe that connects to the metal shower pan drain filter in my 94 Warrior came loose.

Fortunately it doesn't look like it's ever been used so no water damage underneath. But the little bitty area under the pan is very tight and it's hard to reattach the pipe to the drain. The black pipe ptrap has got this metal fastener to connect to the drain filter but when I tighten it it's not very secure and it leaks.

I thought I could just unscrew the drain fixture from the pan but it just keeps going around in circles and I can't tell how it is attached to the pan. I took a look at the 321RB parts list Toyota Wini mini 94 321rb and figured one of these items is the drain (strainer?) that I can't seem to remove:

M02630-03-U28 EA SHOWER PAN W/NUT, STRAINER & WASHER

066436-01-000 EA NUT-SLIP, TAILPIECE - 1.5"

066440-01-000 EA STRAINER-SHOWER, W/RUBBER WASHER

069735-01-000 EA WASHER-STRAINER TO TAILPIECE PLASTIC, 1.5"

How do I take it off and put the whole thing together again? I really don't want to remove the shower pan, mainly because I don't have enough time or experience with this type of repair. Plumbing is like my achilles heel, it takes me forever to tighten pipes correctly so they don't leak. Is there anywhere online that has pictures or a video?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Bump, does anyone know if the drain/strainer can be removed from the pan without taking the whole pan out? I've looked at other photos of pans (in a dolphin) but I can't tell if this is okay and I don't want to break the shower and end up in worse shape. And I'd like to do this myself if possible. I'll post a picture to give you an idea of what I am looking at.

:(

I have a '92 Itasca 321RB.

I pulled my shower pan last spring to reinforce the pan floor. It appears bracing was left out at the factory and the pan floor had a lot of movement.

You will have to remove the entire one piece pan in order to re-tighten the gasket on the shower drain. It can not be tightened from above.

If it is just the p-trap leaking, you will have to fiddle around and re-align the p-trap on the metal tail piece of the shower drain or maybe slip it higher on the tail piece and re-tighten it. A pair of large Channel Lock pliers can be manoeuvred around enough to grip the fitting if your fingers aren't strong enough for the job. The p-trap fitting has wings on it to facilitate tightening. Standard household plumbing.

It's a bear working one handed in these confined quarters. I had to carefully re-align my p-trap so I could drop the pan and metal drain pipe assembly directly down into the p-trap. It took a few tries.

Hi there, I was all ready for my upcoming trip this Sunday to San Diego when I saw that the black p-trap pipe that connects to the metal shower pan drain filter in my 94 Warrior came loose.

Fortunately it doesn't look like it's ever been used so no water damage underneath. But the little bitty area under the pan is very tight and it's hard to reattach the pipe to the drain. The black pipe ptrap has got this metal fastener to connect to the drain filter but when I tighten it it's not very secure and it leaks.

I thought I could just unscrew the drain fixture from the pan but it just keeps going around in circles and I can't tell how it is attached to the pan. I took a look at the 321RB parts list Toyota Wini mini 94 321rb and figured one of these items is the drain (strainer?) that I can't seem to remove:

M02630-03-U28 EA SHOWER PAN W/NUT, STRAINER & WASHER

066436-01-000 EA NUT-SLIP, TAILPIECE - 1.5"

066440-01-000 EA STRAINER-SHOWER, W/RUBBER WASHER

069735-01-000 EA WASHER-STRAINER TO TAILPIECE PLASTIC, 1.5"

How do I take it off and put the whole thing together again? I really don't want to remove the shower pan, mainly because I don't have enough time or experience with this type of repair. Plumbing is like my achilles heel, it takes me forever to tighten pipes correctly so they don't leak. Is there anywhere online that has pictures or a video?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

ditto what he said plus you can get a basin wrench at el cheapo,or whoes. it has 4 long tongs on it. Align drain on p-trap and screw with wrench. you might need new paper gasket or use plumbers putty. i was lucky i had access to trap from behind drivers seat. GL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take a picture of what I am looking at. i really don't want to undo the whole bottom shower pan to tighten the ptrap to the drain and I'm not sure if that is what the two previous posters are referring to. Thanks for responding, i'll post photos in a bit.

Pictures of what I'm looking at (I used lots of putty to help pinpoint where the thing was leaking - at the metal portion that screws onto the bottom of the shower drain):

BelowShowerPan.jpg

BelowShowerDrain.jpg

ShowerDrain.jpg

Edited by lsabug

if you remove that screw and the plate is there a cross like part under that ther are so called straner wrenches that hook in bath tub drains and the like. you use that to hold the top piece still while another person tightens the part underneath . i have done a lot of plumbing. you can buy those special tools not very exp.

if that is leaking at that metal screen pice you remove the whole top too reseal the metal too shower base as that is plastic not shure the corroct matireal. for sealing it.there maybe rubber gasket under the floor. under thiten with channel locks pliers. my phone no is on the add for the minimax on the adds call i will walk you throughit. i would think could be done with out pulling shower up do in houses one person top too holdit. one under too tighten it .

I'm going to take a picture of what I am looking at. i really don't want to undo the whole bottom shower pan to tighten the ptrap to the drain and I'm not sure if that is what the two previous posters are referring to. Thanks for responding, i'll post photos in a bit.

Pictures of what I'm looking at (I used lots of putty to help pinpoint where the thing was leaking - at the metal portion that screws onto the bottom of the shower drain):

Please, I don't mean any offence, but I think at this point it would be a good idea for you to go down to a hardware store and have a salesman show you how a shower pan drain, gasket, nut and p-trap are assembled. It's kinda tough to explain this stuff if you don't understand how it all goes together.

It looks to me like your shower pan drain is leaking. 5toyota is on to a solution with two people and plumbers tools to re-tighten the drain. If that doesn't work, it's time to pull the pan.

I'm not sure, but from looking at the photo, this should work!

If you can unscrew the "P" trap, you should be able to remove it (the P trap). The plastic piece on the left and in the middle, and just loosen the white piece on the right. ( Or the piece on the left and the white piece on the right)

post-4544-0-66791500-1323356399_thumb.jp

Looking at the photo , unscrew, rotate, toward the left for the piece on the left and center, The white piece, rotate up.

Once you have the P trap out, you should be able to unscrew the large nut on the underside of the drain (just above the P trap) and pull the drain out from the top.

I'm not sure whats there because the putty is covering the joint.

Once you get it out, you can either re-glue or re-gasket, whatever needs to be done.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thank you for the name of the tool. I've worked on my bathroom sink but there was loads of room compared to this. I will check at ACE or HomeDepot for this tool. And thanks for offering to let me call you if this becomes problematic, I do appreciate it.

if you remove that screw and the plate is there a cross like part under that ther are so called straner wrenches that hook in bath tub drains and the like. you use that to hold the top piece still while another person tightens the part underneath . i have done a lot of plumbing. you can buy those special tools not very exp.

if that is leaking at that metal screen pice you remove the whole top too reseal the metal too shower base as that is plastic not shure the corroct matireal. for sealing it.there maybe rubber gasket under the floor. under thiten with channel locks pliers. my phone no is on the add for the minimax on the adds call i will walk you throughit. i would think could be done with out pulling shower up do in houses one person top too holdit. one under too tighten it .

No offense taken, I also have the Sunset books on DIY plumbing with helpful diagrams and such. I just wasn't sure if there was some specific plumbing issue I need to be aware of. I hope I won't have to pull the pan. I will be trying out everyone's recommendations before it comes to that.

Please, I don't mean any offence, but I think at this point it would be a good idea for you to go down to a hardware store and have a salesman show you how a shower pan drain, gasket, nut and p-trap are assembled. It's kinda tough to explain this stuff if you don't understand how it all goes together.

It looks to me like your shower pan drain is leaking. 5toyota is on to a solution with two people and plumbers tools to re-tighten the drain. If that doesn't work, it's time to pull the pan.

Thanks for the specifics, I appreciate the time you all have taken to respond to my issue!

I'm not sure, but from looking at the photo, this should work!

If you can unscrew the "P" trap, you should be able to remove it (the P trap). The plastic piece on the left and in the middle, and just loosen the white piece on the right. ( Or the piece on the left and the white piece on the right)

post-4544-0-66791500-1323356399_thumb.jp

Looking at the photo , unscrew, rotate, toward the left for the piece on the left and center, The white piece, rotate up.

Once you have the P trap out, you should be able to unscrew the large nut on the underside of the drain (just above the P trap) and pull the drain out from the top.

I'm not sure whats there because the putty is covering the joint.

Once you get it out, you can either re-glue or re-gasket, whatever needs to be done.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto