Fuel Sending Unit and Your Generator

alans

I have a 1992 Toy that did not have a generator installed at the factory. The factory did not provide the pre-plumbing for a future installation.

If you have a factory installed generator, I would like to know how they connected the fuel supply. Did they use a fuel sending unit with a third fuel pickup tube installed? If not, did they install an additional pickup tube somewhere on the top of the tank, or did they tap directly into the side of the fuel tank?

If your fuel sending unit has a third tube installed for the generator, I would like to know where I can obtain that type of unit.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

post-5404-0-23542900-1321834735_thumb.jp

post-5404-0-69296000-1321834768_thumb.jp

Usually it's an add on kit because the trucks were sold as a rolling frame with no body and could have been used as any thing (Uhaul or MH etc) and had no generator.

The trucks were sold as a rolling chases and then they had either MH's or a box put on them (U haul) so all the generator add on's had it's own kit that that went into the tank at some where around the quarter tank level. The 2 fittings on your tank are discharge and return the fuel pump delivers more fuel then the engine uses and it is returned to the tank and is just dumped in at the top. You could add a fitting to the sender unit but it would be easier to buy the generator kit.

What is this generator kit you speak of?

Is there an auxiliary gas tank fitting that comes with it?

Who supplies it?

Thanks

The trucks were sold as a rolling chases and then they had either MH's or a box put on them (U haul) so all the generator add on's had it's own kit that that went into the tank at some where around the quarter tank level. The 2 fittings on your tank are discharge and return the fuel pump delivers more fuel then the engine uses and it is returned to the tank and is just dumped in at the top. You could add a fitting to the sender unit but it would be easier to buy the generator kit.

Good question I think I would check an Onan supplier (they are owned by Cummings) they most likely would have just the fitting.

• 1 month later...

I have the 2.8 onan added at a later date. The owner teed off the fuel line from the tank pump. This seems stupid to me.

I found a garage with a great mechanic and metal fabricator. The solution? He cut a piece of the large fuel hose off between the filler neck and the tank. Spliced in a section of exhaust pipe with a 5/16 fuel line extending into the tank. The line sits above the pump screen so there's no danger of the generator sucking the tank dry. Total cost under $100.00. The best part is the tank didn't have to be removed, and no extra holes were added.

• 1 month later...

What is this generator kit you speak of?

Is there an auxiliary gas tank fitting that comes with it?

Who supplies it?

Thanks

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/1993/93wt321rb.pdf is a link to the winnie parts manual - note they use a Tee -- see the chassis page. That is how mine is setup. I though they had 2 tubes to draw fuel from the tank - one is shorter - for the genset -- designed to prevent the genset from completely draining the tank - looks like that is not the case unless the tee is to a return line which indeed does have a shorted tube. Since the return line would not have fuel pressure from the fuel injection bypass fuel it must draw from the tank.

Generally the fuel return line has no tube in the tank it's in the top of the tank/gauge/pump assembly and dumps directly to the top of the tank. The pump delivers far more fuel then the engine uses it's just a dump but if there is any restriction the pressure will rise in the return line possibly effecting over all fuel pressure. A rise in fuel pressure will cause a richer fuel mix uncontrollable by the ECU. I'm not sure how it's worked out gen installer or coach maker but some one stuck a tube in the tank and I'm sure everyone had their own ideal on how to do it.