Laminate wood flooring in a Toyota RV ????

Hi,

I just bought my first Toyota RV....1987 19'....

I want to replace the carpeting with wood laminate,

but my brother who has had a much bigger gas hog RV for years...

says its a bad idea...he says "Too much flex in the floor...it won't

stay down and will crackle and pop like crazy".... I HATE carpeting..

have allergies and want it OUT.....am I doomed to have carpet in

my new tiny house on wheels ???? also...what is the square footage

approx. that I will be buying flooring for ????

Thanks for the help,

Sandi....who drives Smurfette

• 2 weeks later...

I put a floating wood floor in my Sunrader, and while it has its imperfections to be sure, it is AOK after more than a year. I know MANY others have had success as well.

• 5 weeks later...

should be able to find photos of my project in this section of the forums. I spent all of last winter as a ski bum in the parking lot at a local ski area. This was one of the first things that i did upon finishing out the season. I swear by the convenience of mine. I have not experienced any of the issues you seem to be worried about. Also, you couldn't get anymore cheap than i did mine for. It is not even genuine Pergo and i couldn't be happier :) Hope this helps.

I used Vinyl flooring in mine, flexible and very easy to clean. I also put down a 1/2" plywood sub floor to make things smooth.

Thanks for the replies......I am going to have a laminate floor put in my Dolphin.....

I have also read several articles on Google about doing it and feel like its a good idea.

Carpet is SOOOOO outdated and unclean.....

thanks !!!!

Im layin some pine laminate this week in my sunrader Sandi- I will post up some pics here on what I am doing for ya. I am making it a "floating" floor

Im layin some pine laminate this week in my sunrader Sandi- I will post up some pics here on what I am doing for ya. I am making it a "floating" floor

Oh thank you Bryan!!! I would love to see pics. I love seeing photos of other mini RV's interior....

I really look forward to it !!!!

Sandi

it seems the soft spots I thought were bad needed a little attention, I will lay a sheet of 1 inch plywood down on the entire floor to reinforce it and add a little structure to my couch build and new cabinets/closet. I am taking pics of what I am doing- will post a couple up here for you Sandi.

All my hardwood laminate was free!! check craigslist for someone with an overstock or leftover from a job site and you can get it cheap, or free in some cases. I wanted pine and I happened to find pine so I lucked out.

it seems the soft spots I thought were bad needed a little attention, I will lay a sheet of 1 inch plywood down on the entire floor to reinforce it and add a little structure to my couch build and new cabinets/closet. I am taking pics of what I am doing- will post a couple up here for you Sandi.

All my hardwood laminate was free!! check craigslist for someone with an overstock or leftover from a job site and you can get it cheap, or free in some cases. I wanted pine and I happened to find pine so I lucked out.

SMILE !!

We also put down a floating floor, and it was designed to go right

over existing carpet so we did not have to take out the old carpet.

We got it from Lowes, it is 1/4 inch thick. We did have to leave

about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap next to any wood (like floor cabinets)

since we did get a little flex and it would touch the wood and

sqeak, but once we trimmed it back a little all is good for the

last three years.

Dennis B.