We recently got a good deal (we think) on an '84 Escaper that is in great shape except the motor. Apparently it needs a valve job. This is the original 2.2 4cyl with 4 speed standard, 30,000 miles. Since at some point we may take it West (we live in WI but are from Idaho where there are real mountains), we are considering changing engines. Options are: do the valve job; put in another, newer 4cyl; or going to a 6cyl. Also, it appears the rear axle was never replaced, per the recall. We have a dollar figure in mind, but are interested in knowing the expense and advantage in such a change, especially for the cost of going with the 6cyl, its ability in the mountains, and average mpg. We probably will hire the work from a known place here (unless a retired mechanic friend offers -- we won't ask). Related issues include whether to change the transmission (I read this one may not work with some 6cyls) and where a rear axle could be obtained. Looking forward to hearing suggestions from all the experience out there.

The 22RE is a terrific little engine, and it is a big part of why these rigs are still on the road after 25 years. I have the 3VZE in my Sunrader, and it is still underpowered. The 22RE, well cared for, will go forever and tick along just fine on the flats. Just get used to going uphill slowly in 2nd. It's all about the journey, right?

We recently got a good deal (we think) on an '84 Escaper that is in great shape except the motor. Apparently it needs a valve job. This is the original 2.2 4cyl with 4 speed standard, 30,000 miles. Since at some point we may take it West (we live in WI but are from Idaho where there are real mountains), we are considering changing engines. Options are: do the valve job; put in another, newer 4cyl; or going to a 6cyl. Also, it appears the rear axle was never replaced, per the recall. We have a dollar figure in mind, but are interested in knowing the expense and advantage in such a change, especially for the cost of going with the 6cyl, its ability in the mountains, and average mpg. We probably will hire the work from a known place here (unless a retired mechanic friend offers -- we won't ask). Related issues include whether to change the transmission (I read this one may not work with some 6cyls) and where a rear axle could be obtained. Looking forward to hearing suggestions from all the experience out there.

Just get used to going uphill slowly in 2nd

Or 1st :ThumbUp:

The 4 cyl and a 4 speed trans are my numbefr one choice, good economy, good reliability..

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

YOU ARE SO RIGHT AN OLD SAY ING IN MY FAMILY USE THAT OAR ON THE FLOOR TO ROW UP THE HILL HAVE PICTURES OF MY UNCLES 1958 36 HP VW BUG HITCHED UP TO HIS 14 FOOT BOAT HE SELDOM TOOK HIS HAND OFF THE SHIFT LEVER

Swapping to a 6 will be a wiring nightmare it's fuel injected and needs lot of wiring your 84 does not have plus finding all the parts for the clutch assembly.

are you sure it needs a valve job? i can't imagine it burning a valve that quickly unless it was seriously abused and or something else is very wrong. i would rebuild that head and take a close look at the carb. running very lean might cause such a problem.

Are you shure you dont mean a valve adjust ment i have done new moters and adjust agin at 30000 these do not have hydrilc lifters as they seat into the head they change the book calls for them to be set hot kind of a miserable but you get use to it and the hotter the better also you could have not enough clerance will in time burn the valve and seats i would check clerance before doing anything else they have screws on the rocker arms ps as they seat in the clerance incress can run rough

Apparently it needs a valve job. This is the original 2.2 4cyl with 4 speed standard, 30,000 miles. Since at some point we may take it West (we live in WI but are from Idaho where there are real mountains), we are considering changing engines. Options are: do the valve job; put in another, newer 4cyl; or going to a 6cyl.

That is a 2.4L 4 cyl. The 22 is model #, not displacement. The 20R is a 2.2L, but was upgraded to the 2.4 in '81.

I agree with the valve adjustment - usually goes a long way, but my recommendation - and I work on a lot of these, specializing in RWD Celicas- is adjust them HOT, and one cyl at a time - #1 TDC, timing mark aligned, adjust intake and exhaust, turn engine 180 degrees, adj #3, then another 180 degrees and the timing mark will line up again for #4... Oh, and adjust to a "modified" .007 intake and .010 exhaust.

If you are looking to replace the engine, use an '85 and later engine, as they have a slight bit more power due to a complete redesign by Toyota, and ensure that it is rebuilt with a steel timing chain guide!

• 4 months later...

Hi RonSherry, Where do you live in WI? I live just outside of Baraboo (most people give Wisconsin Dells for reference but I have driven through there twice a day for 23 years and don't like the place.)