We haven't been able to find one. We're looking at replacing the back wheels with a Rear Dual Wheel Adapter kit. Anyone done this? It's expensive and this vehicle has a lot of miles on it, but, it IS the Sunrader, quite rare (4x4), and, honestly, the family pet. We dearly love it.

if your in north bend washington have you talk to les schab i also have astock 1988 4wd pu stock tiresL t235 15 six hole rims mabe somthing in white spoke the 4wd are built a lot heavyor than the 14 inch 2wd i recently had 1000 400 pounds of scrap steel on my 4wd

if your in north bend washington have you talk to les schab i also have astock 1988 4wd pu stock tiresL t235 15 six hole rims mabe somthing in white spoke the 4wd are built a lot heavyor than the 14 inch 2wd i recently had 1000 400 pounds of scrap steel on my 4wd

The vehicle is at the Les Schwab and he can't find a wheel replacement. We are leaning toward moving to 16 singles. Anyone have a recommendation for a tire if we do that? One wide enough to ensure stability? We are planning to replace all 4 (front, too) with 16 inch at this stage.

I still really really want to just replace the one faux dually thingy but that is looking unlikely now. If anyone knows of one...?

Edited by sunrader2000

The vehicle is at the Les Schwab and he can't find a wheel replacement. We are leaning toward moving to 16 singles. Anyone have a recommendation for a tire if we do that? One wide enough to ensure stability? We are planning to replace all 4 (front, too) with 16 inch at this stage.

I still really really want to just replace the one faux dually thingy but that is looking unlikely now. If anyone knows of one...?

Can anyone tell me if this looks like the right wheel? The faux dually? I'm sending the pic to the tire guy, but I really have no idea and since I'm not near the vehicle, I thought I'd ask you guys.

post-1442-0-03084000-1308960757_thumb.jp

Edited by sunrader2000

From my limited experience those look like 'true' dually wheels. The black one is from 1986(?) with the 6 hand holes. the silver one (with 3 hand holes) is later ('87-'94). Not what you're looking for, IMHO.

Thank you, Mr. Up North. :) If I go with the 16 inch single, do you have a tire recommendation?

Edited by sunrader2000

Never heard of them and I'm not an off-roader. But they're BIG!! About 15% larger rolling radius than the typical Toyota 185R14 tire. And people already say that O/D is unusable! Better start looking into swapping final drive ratios as well. More $$.

Hm. My vehicle has 15 inch now on a 4 wheel drive and, elsewhere, someone recommended 16 inch if moving from the faux dually to the single.

Edited by sunrader2000

What size tire is on your Raider now??? Do you have any idea what the rear axle weight is on your rig??

What size tire is on your Raider now??? Do you have any idea what the rear axle weight is on your rig??

15 inches all 6 wheels.

No, I don't know the rear axle weight. It's the 1984 4wd Toyota Sunrader. The holes around the studs are sheered into oblongs because the lug nuts came loose. No, I don't know how it happened. Two nuts were gone and at least one the studs sheered off by the time I felt it, heard the noise, and stopped. It was towed to a Les Schwab and we are looking for either a replacement wheel for the faux dually or another solution. Rear dual wheel adapters was suggested but pricey. I am leaning toward going with single 16 inch wheels all around.

The holes around the studs are sheered into oblongs because the lug nuts came loose. No, I don't know how it happened. Two nuts were gone and at least one the studs sheered off by the time I felt it, heard the noise, and stopped.

Why not take the wheel to a local machine shop, have them weld up the oblongs, and re-drill? It's an easy fix. Kim

Why not take the wheel to a local machine shop, have them weld up the oblongs, and re-drill? It's an easy fix. Kim

According to Les Schwab it is not easy. Rebuilding or re-machining was the manager's first plan, but his trusted wheel builder won't do it, saying he's never done a wheel like this before and wouldn't trust it. Do you know anyone with experience in the Seattle area who might feel differently?

According to Les Schwab it is not easy. Rebuilding or re-machining was the manager's first plan, but his trusted wheel builder won't do it, saying he's never done a wheel like this before and wouldn't trust it. Do you know anyone with experience in the Seattle area who might feel differently?

At least I suggest having a good machine shop give its opinion. I would trust them as much as or really even more than an automobile machine shop or a wheel builder. They generally know metals and welding -- but I can appreciate your nervousness. There are a bunch around Seattle. Kim

A Sunrader 4x4 owner weighed his.

1985 Sunrader 4x4 (not 1-Ton, but Front Range Off Road Full floating rear axles

and single tires)

Front axle weight= 1900 lbs

Rear axle weight= 3460 lbs

all wheels on scale=5360 lbs

"... not loaded to go camping, just the stuff we always leave in them. Water and waste tanks empty and gas tanks full. Just one person on board at 180Lbs."

He had previously reported a total weight of near 6000lbs, loaded for camping and with a passenger.

At least I suggest having a good machine shop give its opinion. I would trust them as much as or really even more than an automobile machine shop or a wheel builder. They generally know metals and welding -- but I can appreciate your nervousness. There are a bunch around Seattle. Kim

This is really hard because I'm not even there and no one really knows this vehicle. I trust the Les Schwab guy to be honest as far as he knows. He's really been quite good, but... I'm just going in circles now. From building a wheel, to rear dual adapter, to single 16 inch all around, back to wheel building or machining. ARGH!

This is really hard because I'm not even there and no one really knows this vehicle. I trust the Les Schwab guy to be honest as far as he knows. He's really been quite good, but... I'm just going in circles now. From building a wheel, to rear dual adapter, to single 16 inch all around, back to wheel building or machining.

I hear your frustration. Another idea then. You might google the wheel part number to see if any junk yards have it. Or call a junk yard up and have them search their databases. Or search through pictures here and on the other Toy rv sites, find one that has the right wheel and contact them to borrow it for a while. I have an 88 and don't know if it will fit. If it will, I will pop it off and ship it to you so long as I get it returned in a few weeks. I am in the bay area by San Francisco.

I hear your frustration. Another idea then. You might google the wheel part number to see if any junk yards have it. Or call a junk yard up and have them search their databases. Or search through pictures here and on the other Toy rv sites, find one that has the right wheel and contact them to borrow it for a while. I have an 88 and don't know if it will fit. If it will, I will pop it off and ship it to you so long as I get it returned in a few weeks. I am in the bay area by San Francisco.

Wow, Sunny, that is so sweet of you. I may have to take you up on that if I don't find something soon. Can I offer you something... a kidney or a lung maybe? :)

OK its got 15" rims, but what size is the tire??

This will effect your choice in 16" tires. You want to get the rolling dia as close as possible to your current tire. This will make the speedo happy.

PS there is also a common size LT225/75/16 E range. Its a bunch smaller in dia the the 245 the tire shop is talking about

Taking a pic would have been a great idea but I didn't think of it during the breakdown. I'm 5-6 hours away now.

I'm not sure what tires are on it, but I do know that before we started talking about 16 inch wheels, we were getting LT235/75R - 15/6 so that's probably comparable to what's on it now.

I'll mention all these concerns to the mechanic.

Here's an idea to get you on the road again and give a bit of time to ponder a permanent solution. Get 2 standard single rims for a 4x4 pickup and install a set of these:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+AT%2FS&partnum=375QR5WRATS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Load Range D (2335 lbs.)

I'm all for this. Can you recommend one?

ijust checked my 1988 4wd pu i have wild country Lt 235 75 r 15 inch that is stock tires my moter home is 14 inch the 2w drive trucks are 14 inch i am sorry i dont know much about the dulley rims on the 4wd are the inside rims different than the outside rims i shure hope you get it fixed