I have 195 75R 14 tires sears trial handler guardsman on my 1990 odyssey. I noticed one of the front tires has a crack in the side wall. Can I replace just the fronts with the Hankook RA08 185 tires. No big deal between the 185 and 195. Right?

Thanks

The tread width will be 10mm narrower....

I just went from a 195/75 R14 to the RA08's (185 R14) and visually they do look smaller.

I can't see there being any big issue if you are going to replace BOTH of the front tires, but if you sidewalls are cracking up front, how are the rears holding up?

Odyssey's are some of the heaviest Toyota motohomes made. The Guardsman tire you have on your rig are not strong enough in the first place and if even one of them is cracking I'm guessing they're kinda old. You seriously need to check the date code and weight rating on all of your tires. You can put different size tires on but they should match on the same axle so you have to buy at least 2.

LS

I have 195 75R 14 tires sears trial handler guardsman on my 1990 odyssey. I noticed one of the front tires has a crack in the side wall. Can I replace just the fronts with the Hankook RA08 185 tires. No big deal between the 185 and 195. Right?

Thanks

Why is 185 correct vs. 195? would not the slightly taller tire be better? Not much difference here if they are both 8 ply. There rears look OK no visable cracks and are 2 ply side wall. I figured the front would be a much worse place for a blow out than one tire on the rear dually. Speaking of duallys on the rear does my spare fit on the rear as well? Meaning all wheels are interchangeable? I have not taken off a wheel on the rear dually set up yet. Trick to get the inside wheel off on the rear dually? How would you change on the road if your inside dually went flat? Also is there a replacement kit for the two air hoses that come out for the rear dually air fill set up? Might be a good idea to have a replacement set on hand when I go to change the rears. I doubt the tire place would have something like this in stock?

185R14 would have been originally installed. If you look at the specs for the Yokohamas, you'll see that the 175/75R14 isn't actually any 'taller' and actually has the same tread width but a lower load capacity (I've no idea why).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356&partnum=8R43568&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Finally, remember that the 185, 195, etc is only the nominal width of the tire.

• 1 month later...

Why is 185 correct vs. 195? would not the slightly taller tire be better? Not much difference here if they are both 8 ply. There rears look OK no visable cracks and are 2 ply side wall. I figured the front would be a much worse place for a blow out than one tire on the rear dually. Speaking of duallys on the rear does my spare fit on the rear as well? Meaning all wheels are interchangeable? I have not taken off a wheel on the rear dually set up yet. Trick to get the inside wheel off on the rear dually? How would you change on the road if your inside dually went flat? Also is there a replacement kit for the two air hoses that come out for the rear dually air fill set up? Might be a good idea to have a replacement set on hand when I go to change the rears. I doubt the tire place would have something like this in stock?

Loss of control if a tire blows is certainly serious, but there is another issue also. Blown tires damage RVs by flapping or throwing rubber.This past week I saw the body repairs that had to be done to a fifth-wheel that blew a rear tandem on the Interstate at 70 mph. Same day I saw the repairs to a big class A motorhome that blew a rear tire at 55mph. There are also photos somewhere on this board that show damage from blowing a rear tire at highway speed. The repairs can easily cost much more that a full set of new tires. I'm shopping hard now to replace all of my tires. Bob Beery

many years ago i had a blowout on the right rear of my 1977 toyota station wagen tearing the gas filler hose off the gas tank dumping 15 gallons of gas on the road 50 miles from missola montana all it would have took was one spark and the 5 of us would have been blown to bits i was going 65 on highway 90