Do you use your luggage rack?

idaho

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your luggage rack?

• yes
    • no
    • no and I wish it was never installed

I was just wondering if anyone actually used their luggage "rack" that wraps around the rear of the roof. I'm contemplating removing mine and Eternabonding the holes. Thanks all.

Ill watch this thread. Funny thing i am in the process of putting a new roof on our MiniCruiser and just said to the wife today ,I dont know if i will put that roof railing back on and i am still undecided. Don

I never thought I would use it, but it did come in handy twice for big stuff like a plastic wagon and the kid's bike trailer... Both very light and would of been in the way inside. Only real problem is you can not strap them down too hard....

Given the method of attachment, I wouldn't trust much of anything with much frontal area up there. I only seem to remember a very few people mentioning putting a spare tire up there. Other than that, items like kayaks and canoes seem to be carried with a dedicated rack added after.

If you're rebuilding the roof, you might consider adding some reinforcements in the structure to which to add (perhaps at a later date) a more substantial rack. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer holes in the roof (and walls) the better!

Edit: Or add attachment points for solar panels!

Sort of! I didn't want to put holes in the roof and looked for an easy way to mount a couple 100 watt solar panels. A neighbor had just torn down a plastic pipe framed greenhouse and thought the clip-on "T pipe" connectors might work. In addition, the PVC pipe had electrical conduit inserted into the straight pieces to make them more rigid. With a bit of cutting and 4 pipe elbows this attached really well. I don't see why this wouldn't work for others.

roofrack.jpg

The pipe T's could be easily cut the same as these (see photos) and I think conduit could be inserted the same way, making the cross members strong enough.

roofrackdetail.jpg

I'm debating as to whether to hold these tight with pipe hose clamps or drill and put stainless bolts through.

roofrackpipe.jpg

This is a cross section of the metal lined pipe, very sturdy and it won't rust. No doubt stainless would be nicer, but...

Steve

Mine came with 4 solar panels mounted on the rack, seems like a good use.

Welcome A Board Eve n Stephen, I see we have a photographer to help document Toy stuff. I would stay with the clamps, simple rust proof & good solid joint, plus less to rust than drilling and bolting. Plus you could move it later easier.

As far as I'm concerned, the fewer holes in the roof (and walls) the better!
Good advice. I might be guilty of taking that to the extreme tho :)

@ Steve's PVC solar rack:

Nice use of everyday used materials.

Agree w/ Lee that clamps would be best for stated reasons. The rust/flexibility being the most beneficial.

Might consider adding a "T" with a "leg" in the middle of those runs for some support (legs could even be glassed to roof and/or base for convenient removal). Seems like a long span for PVC.

EDIT:

didn't see the metal lining inserts first read through. nevermind :)

The roof racks are not on there very securely.

I have my second spare tire tied down up there. Haven't had to use either spare yet (keep fingers crossed)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I was just wondering if anyone actually used their luggage "rack" that wraps around the rear of the roof. I'm contemplating removing mine and Eternabonding the holes. Thanks all.

You sure its not a TV antenna? They look like cargo racks but are really TV antennas. Not really meant to strap cargo to. Look closely and you should find an insulator section between the two halves. That's where the antenna lead connects to.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never used a roof rack and wish they were not there. They are a potential leak point and also an added maintenance item to reseal every few years. If I were ever to re-gel coat a fiberglass camper or reroof another style camper I'd remove them, seal the holes (or reroof over them) so they could never leak again. If I were to build my dream Sunrader I'd also eliminate both front windows and one of the side bunk windows to reduce leak points. Just fiberglass the wholes up and gel coat the whole shell to make it look new. I'd leave the ladder though.....too dangerous to get on the roof without it!

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda an old thread, but not to me, anyway iv'e been tearing out all the interior paneling including the roof, then i could get to the inside of the fiberglass in the entire camper, of course the nasty foam the factory used on the roof came out too....YUK, it took many beers and running outside for fresh air but the dirty deed is done, it will all be replaced with styrofoam sheets, much better and that awful chemie smell is gone with it, anyway once i could see the roofrack mounting points it was clear why the mount feels flimsy, the screws that hold it on, only the inside screw actually hits the plywood "stud" that is glued to the roof, the outside screws are into fiberglass only, so i beefed it up with extra plywood strips and now all srews go into some meat! while its stripped to bare fiberglass i was seriously considering some thule mounts so the roof racks for a canoe or kayak could be added anytime very easily. i hate making holes in my sunrader roof and don't know if i will.....another thing i am going to do is add extra support with 3/4" plywood running down the walls to the floor directly below where the steel roof supports mount to the walls, my thoughts are more body support for banging down gravel roads.....and the 4+4 project is still wheeling around my brain....it would be good to have extra support if i ever make that happen. xalien.gif