Help a girl out!

Thebheads

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 86 Travel master for 2K with 105k on it. I think I got an alright deal. Everything seems to work but I am so unfamiliar with these things. I wanted to be able to take my kids camping and make out rides up north more fun. Anyway I have a few questions if you all could help me out.

Does the truck motors alternator feed the interior lights, plugs and a/c?

Does anyone know where to find a rebuild kit for the kohler 2.5? I cant find them anywhere. Does it have it's own battery?

Can I put a adapter on the big washing machine plug so I can use a regular plug?

Is using propane for the frig at all economical?

Any recommendations for insurance co?

Thanks so much!

The truck motor's alternator charges its own battery under the hood and also charges the "house" battery in the camper part. That battery in turn runs the interior lights, water pump, furnace and whatever else you have that runs off 12 volts. The plugs only work when your generator is running or when you're plugged in to "shore power", i.e. your house or a campground power outlet.

You should be able to find a Kohler rebuild kit on line, maybe even locally. Have the model numbers handy when you ask around for the kit.

Shore power plug adaptors are usually available at any RV supply store. They are fairly common.

The refrigerator runs fine on propane and will run a very long time that way and is quite economical.

About insurance I don't know but shop around or go to the other main Toyota Motorhome site. You'll get lots of info there.

Good luck!

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 86 Travel master for 2K with 105k on it. I think I got an alright deal. Everything seems to work but I am so unfamiliar with these things. I wanted to be able to take my kids camping and make out rides up north more fun. Anyway I have a few questions if you all could help me out.

No, you'll need shore power (electric hookup) for that. However, the house battery will feed the interior lights. Generally appliances that requires 110V AC will require either electric hookup or a generator.

Does anyone know where to find a rebuild kit for the kohler 2.5? I cant find them anywhere. Does it have it's own battery?

I do not know the answer to that question.

Can I put a adapter on the big washing machine plug so I can use a regular plug?

Yes, I use an adapter like that for my rig.

Very economical, from my experience, it just cools down slower than in electric mode.

I live in British Columbia, and our only insurance company is a crown corporation, definitely someone else will be able to answer your question better.

Happy Camping!

Thanks so much!

Yes / No - You have two power systems in the coach, 12 Volt dc and 110 Volt ac.

12 VOLTS - lights, furnace, water pump, stove hood blower, TV antenna amplifier (if you have one)

You have three sources of 12 volts, The coach battery, your truck (via the isolator) and the converter (runs when your plugged into shore power)

When the truck is running, your truck alternator provides power to the coach's 12Volt dc system, and will also charge the coach battery.

110 VOLTS - outlets, Power converter, Coach Air Conditioner (if you have one)

You have two sources of 110 volt ac, Your shore power plug, and a generator (if you have one).

Your outlets are 110 volt ac, just like in your house.

Note that your 110 Volt system also supplies power to a "Power Converter". This converter is a power supply that supplies 12 Volt dc and also charges you coach battery.

I have Allstate for my cars and house - It cost an extra $400 a year for my ToyHouse, BUT - I can turn the insurance on and off and will be refunded accordingly.

Yes, keep in mind that the large plug is capable of 35 amps, the smaller regular wall plug is limited to about 15 amps. If your running your Coach Air Conditioner, you should use the larger plug, You should have an adapter anyway, as a lot of parks may not have the larger plug. Buy at any RV supply house.

Yes - HOWEVER - use caution when re-fueling your MH or if your servicing propane. The flame for the Frig is always on and will provide an excellent ignition source :o for fumes. Probably would be a good idea to turn off the Frig, then relight it after you finishing re-fueling.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yes - HOWEVER - use caution when re-fueling your MH or if your servicing propane. The flame for the Frig is always on and will provide an excellent ignition source :o for fumes. Probably would be a good idea to turn off the Frig, then relight it after you finishing re-fueling.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You guys are GREAT! Thank you so much! I never expected such great help! So, do I need to light this pilot light in the frig? If I plug in, does that charge my batteries as well?I tried Allstate Waiter, they told me 400 and some as well. I almost died. The guy I bought it from said he paid $32 quarterly at progressive...BS!

Edited by Thebheads

So, do I need to light this pilot light in the frig?

Yes, you need to light the Frig. You can do it from the Frig front panel, and you should be able to see the blue flame in the small plastic window.

Although the flame is small and it kind of acts like a pilot light, Its not really a pilot light, its a small burner that runs all the time.

If I plug in, does that charge my batteries as well?

Yes, but only the Coach battery, it does NOT charge the truck battery.

HOWEVER - If you have the original converter, I caution about leaving it plugged in for extensive time periods (months at a time) as the older original converters tend to overcharge the battery and will boil it (boils out the electrolyte in the battery). If you going to leave it plugged in all winter (for whatever reason) disconnect the battery.

they told me 400 and some as well

This is for full coverage, with all the bells and whistles, comprehensive, collision, liability, trip interruption, contents, etc, etc etc.

Probably don't need all that, but I'll look around next year.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

This is for full coverage, with all the bells and whistles, comprehensive, collision, liability, trip interruption, contents, etc, etc etc.

Probably don't need all that, but I'll look around next year.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks again John

Just to let everyone know, I just picked up ins. with rvainsurance.com for 260.00 a year. Full coverage, and comparable to Allstates quote as far as the level of protection. The quote from Allstate was 422.00 a year and I have three other vehicles with them!

My Sunrader is insured with Mercury Ins full coverage for 100 dollars a year. Low mileage use on RV's means less money. Insure it with your regular insurance company if they will cover Rv's for multiple vehicle discounts

Kohler hasn't made Rv gnerators for a long time. They no longer support them with parts or service. Find a small engine repair shop near you that will work on generators like a lawn mower shop or tool repair shop. Since you probably don't know what the problem is, it maybe fixable without all new parts. Once you do get it fixed you probably still won't use it. Sounds like your sitting on an outboard motor. I also have a Kohler 2.5 and mine works fine but I never use it cause it's so loud.

Linda S

I've never had the 'pleasure' of hearing a Kohler. I wonder if anyone has ever measured the noise level with a dB(A) meter? I did a bit of searching with Google and didn't stumble across anything. But one thing's for sure, I didn't find anyone who said they were quiet!!

You get buy a Shore power plug adaptors at most Walmart stores, they have a RV section

back in the automotive area.

Regarding insurance, for non-full coverage I pay $150 a year (12 months) from Progressive

and that is the only policy I have with them.

Dennis...

You guys are GREAT! Thank you so much! I never expected such great help! So, do I need to light this pilot light in the frig? If I plug in, does that charge my batteries as well?I tried Allstate Waiter, they told me 400 and some as well. I almost died. The guy I bought it from said he paid $32 quarterly at progressive...BS!

That quote is accurate for Progressive with just the liability coverage. I pay $100 a year with Progressive and I just have CA state minimum plus uninsured motorist coverage. Because I only paid $3,000 for my Dolphin the rates for full coverage are just too high. I could pay for a 2nd Dolphin in a couple years!

And thank you waiter and all the other posters on here with answering the questions your help not only helps those who ask but people like me who haven't asked the exact same questions yet.

Just got back from my first trip! It was awesome. Quick question though. How do you get the outlets to work without being plugged into shore power? I cant seen to work anything except for the fresh water pump, unless i"m plugged in!?!?!? Thank you all for all your help!

Thebheads - scroll up and read the entire thread, I believe your question is answered around post #4

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

One way to get 110Vac is to install an inverter. These little boxes take 12 Vdc and convert it to 110Vac. You can buy an inexpensive one to start with an upgrade later if you need it. Something like 400 watts would be good for running laptop / cell phone chargers, and some small appliances. a 400 watt inverter costs about $30 at Walmart or some of the local Truck stops.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Don't plug your MH power cord into the inverter to make your outlets work sounds like it should work but it won't plug what you need to use right into the inverter. If you just need to use the computer you can get by with a small inverter (150 watts) that will plug into the lighter socket you most likely have a lighter socket in the coach.

Don't plug your MH power cord into the inverter to make your outlets work sounds like it should work but it won't plug what you need to use right into the inverter. If you just need to use the computer you can get by with a small inverter (150 watts) that will plug into the lighter socket you most likely have a lighter socket in the coach.

I see.... I confused converter and inverter. I have a little one already. I just assumed that there would be one built in I guess. Thanks guys!

The "Converter" makes 12Vdc from 110Vac (Shore Power). It charges your coach battery and can supply your 12Vdc coach needs. These are standard equipment and all RVs have them.

An "Inverter" makes 110Vac from 12Vdc.

Normally, the only way your 110Vac outlets have power on them is if your plugged into "Shore Power" or if you have a 110 Vac generator (Onan)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto