hi new to this board. i have a 1979 toyota dolphin that wont go into any gear. feels like gear shifter isnt connected. i got underneath on the passenger side and i can see a shaft. looks like it might be a 2 piece that moves rearward but the back part doesnt move. does any one have any one have any clue where to start. thank you larry

i dont know that you have a hdrlic problem did you check the small master cyclinder for the clutch under the hood next to the brake cyclinder if you have a leak and that is empty you will not be able to shift it if it is empty check under dash for brake fluid leake from master if leak replace master cyl the clutch throwout arm on the trans is opperated by a slave cylinder ether of these leak the clutch will not work is that a 4 speed i did have a station wagen 1977 5 speed the end of the maine shift rod broke off and fell down in the bottom of the trans had to remove back of trans and put in new shift rod i do not know if the 4 speeds had that problem and yes the lever felt lose flopy hope i help you

If the shifter just moves around and is very sloppy it's lost the plastic bushing at the end of the shifter. Pull the boot off and there are 3 bolts that hold the shifter in pull the stick and there will be a ball shaped piece on the end the bushing snaps on they are a bit of a pain to get back in don't force it when it's right it slips in.

thanks for the help. yes its a 4 speed. and the gear shifter just moves like its not connected to any thing.i looked and thats when i noticed the shaft was connected to gear shifter but was moving rearward but not touching 2nd part of shaft. iwill check the things you suggested.thanks again.