tips on buying a generator?

C-Russ

Want to get a generator for some boondocking. Any tips, tricks or things to look for when buying one? I am looking for an aftermarket one I can set along side MH with an extension cord so its quieter.

(As I am told its kind of a big deal to try to put an Onan in there).

1991 Winnebago Toyota Warrior 21'

If you have no need for A/C you can get by with a 1,000 to 1,500 watt generator no problem make coffee, toast your toast and charge your battery. Quiet generators are expensive you pay for the quiet, Honda is probably the most expensive but there are some that are all most reasonable. An inverter generator is the way to go the cheap ones run 3,600 rpm and run that speed all the time. I would guess an Onan installed would top the $2,500 mark.

I think Honda and Yamaha are both priced about the same and both quiet. 1 notch down seems to be the Kipor. But I don't have personal experience with any of then. I picked up a Made in Chindia 1400w being liquidated at Home Depot for $100. Cheap and nasty! (That might apply to the generator or it's owner?)

I've looked around for one, one of the requirements I had was noise, actually, lack of noise :-) . I wanted something that was quiet, I believe there is a "National Park Service" certification for noise and I seem to recall it was anything less that 50db. These things are pricey - $700 - $1000, fortunately, you can also use them at the house for emergency power (I have two "noisy" generators I use several times a year at the house when we loose power)

If your not concerned about noise, I've seen some cheap units at the big box stores. (Derek bought one)

I don't have an Air Conditioner, so I don't need a lot of capacity. My use would be the occasional Microwave, coffee pot, maybe a power hand tool.

I installed a 1500 watt inverter, and a remote starter for my truck. When I run a high power load on the inverter, (i.e. microwave) I start the truck with the remote starter. It runs for 15 minutes, then shuts back off. I call this the "Poor mans Onan" :-)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I am with Derek in generators you get what you pay for i have a little 1200 watt 2 cycle china unit bought at shucks auto 2 years ago for 130 dollors we go back country it doues what i need guy asked me once is that a honda said no you can buy 2 or 3 of those for what one honda cost but the honda s are nice but if you cant aford it or dont need it you can get one for a lot less

http://cgi.ebay.com/SF3600-Inverter-Generator-Electric-Start-n-Remote-/320684790647?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item4aaa4d9377#ht_5232wt_1032 I've been looking at these with the remote start. its a little big but you could wheel it out into the bush then remote start it and keep its 59 db away from your quiet camp scene. I believe this would run your roof top ac. I have a Yamaha http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-2400-watt-Inverter-Generator-EF-2400iS-/320574181593?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item4aa3b5d0d9#ht_928wt_932 for work and its quiet and starts first pull every time but is also huge. Most of the Honda s can have remote start kits added to them. What all are you running in your rig? What kind of durations? If its small and short enough you my be able to get away with a battery bank and an inverter.

I installed a 2000 watt inverter and two 220ah golf cart batterys and can run my microwave just fine for about an hour, but I don't at most it is run for 6 to 12 minutes at a time to heat up a cold meal and cup of hot drink (coffee, tea or hot chocloet) so I got a 800 w generator from harbor freight for 89 dollars and a small 10amp battery charger from walmart, the generator is really light,quite, easy to start runs 5 hours on a gallon of fuel (50:1 gas mix) and charges the batteries really nice. I also us it to run my vacum cleaner, and small power tools like the skill saw, drill, dremal, 41/2 inch grinder/cutoff tool and things like that.

I ended up finding a Honda EU3000IS. It is sooo super quiet! Now I just wish it would fit in the outside storage! Guess I will be chaining it to the bumper rack. I think I am going to hide it in a home made box so people dont know its a generator.

Did I mention how quiet it is?

Edited by C-Russ