1988 Odyssey Generator

Riverpark Eric

I'm the proud new owner of a 1988 20' Odyssey. We bought it with everything we wanted-minus the generator--and figured we'd get one installed. I'm now hearing that there's no generator to fit my box (located on driver side rear). We need the gen to run the a/c, as we'll have our dog on most trips, and would rather not put one on the back trailer tray.

Any advice on units that fit?

If I bought a MH that won't accommodate the dog, my lovely wife will kill me. headbonk.gif

Thanks,

Eric in Sacramento

The biggest issue is the fact that RV generators are designed to be in tight spaces they have a fuel feed from the truck tank external exhaust pipes and air cooling. A small unit with enough power that would fit still would have to be removed from the compartment to fill with gas and to run it's just too dangerous to run in the compartment.

Measure the box and the door. Check out an Onan 2800, its 24"L x 16.4"W x 12.3"H

Can't believe Odyssey would build a gen box that nothing would fit in.

WME

Measure the box and the door. Check out an Onan 2800, its 24"L x 16.4"W x 12.3"H

Can't believe Odyssey would build a gen box that nothing would fit in.

WME

Thanks WME. That does look like it will fit the box. It's not plumbed or set up with a gasline, and yikes, $2800 is pricey.

I'm thinking of doing a MaxxFan to keep the dog cool when we're not around. Sound like a good alternative?

Thanks for all your help.

Have you checked craigslist for someone parting out an old RV?

I have a Onan 3.0 in the box on mine.

Maybe you can get lucky like that and it would be designed to work on an RV. I am no Genset mechanic, but got mine to work real good. Not sure how long it sat but got a lot of help from here Http://smokestak.com they have a huge forum on Gensets, and tons of knowledgeable people.

Thom

Thanks for the advice.

What I've done is bought a Fan-Tastic fan with a MaxxAir shroud. I'm just about done with part one (the sealant around the original vent was impressive!), then on to the MaxxAir tomorrow. Interesting, the Fan-Tastic explicitly states that a MaxxAir shroud should not be used, as it will inhibit airflow. Any advice on whether I should heed this warning?

I'm having an issue connecting it to the a/c, but I suppose I should start another thread about that....totally different subject.