When plugged in.... Charging both batteries?

84TOYRV

Not completely sure. When I'm plugged in to AC, am I charging both my house battery and my truck battery?

Also, is leaving your Toy plugged in, for a few days, hard on your batteries? Does it work like a battery tender and not over charge?

Thanx for your help. Love my Toy! :D

Tudy

NO, plugged in only charges the house battery. UNLESS you have a high dollar converter/charger.

A few days is OK, but not long term, UNLESS you have a high dollar converter/charger.

Most of the original converter charge around 3 amps, but don't "battery tend" at all. Long term use will boil a battery dry.

So you must check water often.

As WME says, Shore power will not charge your truck battery.

If you have the old original converter, these will tend to overcharge and boil the battery if plugged in for extensive periods.

If you plan on leaving yours plugged into shore power for extensive time (weeks - months) Consider upgrading your converter to one of the multiple stage converters.

Check out this thread:

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3517

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yeah the stock chargers are poor battery chargers if that is all you have buy a cheap timer plug the MH in to it and let it run for and hour a day until you can get a real charger/ converter.

Another reason to upgrade your 6800 series converter is that they do not supply clan dc current to the 12 volt circuits in your coach. They also produce a substantial amount of AC current on the same circuits. The disconnect the battery when you plug in and the power comes solely from the converter. That extra AC can and will damage 12 volt electronic devices that you may also have installed or are using. The modern smart converter chargers produce clean DC current for the 12 volt circuits.