filling horizontal propane tank

SusanW

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and learning a lot....thanks for all the great info that you share.

I recently bought a 1984 Dolphin in great shape. I'm delighted with her and am working hard to learn about all the systems - I've never owned an RV before.

My question today is about filling the propane tank. I've searched this board on that topic, and have read that even horizontal tanks should be taken out and filled in a vertical position. I took mine out to look at it (no easy feat - you'd think they could have made that compartment ONE INCH wider!); on the tank is a label that reads, "Use, transport and fill this tank in the proper horizontal position".

So, I'm confused now about the safest way to fill this....do I just pull it out far enough to unscrew the regulator and have it filled in that position? And who inspects these tanks? The guy at Flying J that I first asked to fill it had no idea what to do with it. Do I need to go to an RV place?

thanks again,

Susan

Fill it vertically, use it horizontally.

Check places that do home LP service, often they can fill and inspect. The inspection is a quick visual and leak check, not a big deal, and often done for free or minimal.

RV places should also be able to fill or at least tell you where to go.

This tank is exempt from the retrofit OverfillProtection valve.

You might consider updating the system to an ACME quick disconnect. Take a look at this:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3448

John Mc

88 Dolphine 4 Auto

I will get back to you with a picture on this, but the former owners of my new 89 toy, said that they just hated to dis-mantle or unscrew the propane to re-fill tit, so they had a special fitting made out of brass for $$$

( I am not with the toy now, or I would just go take a pic of this thingy-ma-jig) They told me that "its worth its weight in Gold" It allows you to place it on the tank without pulling it out, and fill it.

Yes, some might hassle you- they told me -THE LAW and all, but 99% don't. and its very well crafted, and just looking at that tank, no, I don't plan on pulling it out EVER!

I will drive station to station if I have to- Anything except dragging that tank out!

on the tank is a label that reads, "Use, transport and fill this tank in the proper horizontal position".

The horizontal tanks as far as I know are not intended to be removed. At least mine is not supposed to be removed. You might want to consult with a local rv shop and have them look at it and make sure all the valving is up to date. Mine is filled without removing via the fill port near the valve. They only really hold about 85% of there capacity so don't be alarmed when an 8 or 6 gal tank fills up at a lower capacity.

Since the tank has a sticker on it stating "Use, transport and fill this tank in the proper horizontal position", I'd take extra steps to make sure that it's done properly. If it says to fill horizontally, I'd assume it wasn't a typo! Propane is a dangerous thing to do wrong!

Yes, Double check your tank, it may be different than mine - If your tank specifically says to fill in horizontal position, than that's the way to do it. Mine specifically says to fill while vertical ( I suspect this is because of the internal plumbing of the vent tube.)

Mine is a 22 lb Horizontal tank, it holds about 4 gallons max. Its fairly easy to get in and out, just pop the hold down strap and pull the tank out.

If I set mine next to a standard BBQ tank, They look identical, until you look at it up close and carefully, it has a fill vent and a quantity gauge. most BBQ don't have these.

I updated my horizontal tank fitting to an ACME quick disconnect - This way I can also use a standard BBQ tank (BBQ tanks are available everywhere)

I can carry a BBQ tank as a spare, I made a filler hose so if I want, I can transfer LP from the BBQ tank into my Horizontal tank. I also have the option of just set the BBQ tank beside the MH, disconnecting the LP hose from the Horizontal tank, and connecting it to the BBQ tank. :ThumbUp:

The difference between a Horizontal and vertical tank, the internal plumbing and location of the pickup (and vent) tubes inside the tank.

WARNING - DO NOT use a BBQ tanks horizontally. BBQ tanks MUST be vertical.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-12242600-1302868163_thumb.jp

Okay.....so I went to Bish's RV in Nampa, ID, and they sent me to Mason Creek RV Park just down the road to get my tank filled. The guy there knew exactly what he was doing and gave me some good pointers - like don't use a pipe wrench to unscrew the regulator; and don't go to the farm and garden store to have an RV tank filled - he's had a lot of folks come to him saying that other places didn't know quite how to deal with these setups and claimed they could not be filled.

He just pulled the business end of the tank out far enough to get at the valve, unscrewed it and filled it. Easy.

So, I'm happy to have one more little mystery cleared up....maybe I'll be brave enough to fire up the water heater next!

Thanks again for being so generous with your time and helpful information.

Susan

• 12 years later...
20 minutes ago, Frank T Ratkiewicz said:

im looking to replace the valve on my motor home horizonal propane tank can you he me  im Frank my phone no 570 582 3143 if you neen to contact me thank you

Try “propane warehouse “. Many propane parts and accessories. Prices are very reasonable.

you will need to take it to a propane distributor . removing the old valve is not easy, and needs special tools