Solar Panels anyone?

vtchris

Just wondering if anyone has rigged up their Toy for solar? And if so, how? Any pictures? What about weight?

I'm hoping to add a solar system this summer. The weight is always a factor on the overweighted toys but I am not too worried about it. I am an electrition and am most of the way through a 45 hr photo voltaic class. My biggest concern is the size of the unit and where to locate it. I am going to flat mount it because I never stay at one location long enough to reap the benifits of a tilted system. Too much screwing around for a 10-20% increase in power. Be aware of shadows from the vents and AC. On some units as little as 10% shading can stop power production. Post your system before you buy it. I would like to take alook at it.

I got lucky, and my 89 Oddessy had 2 grand worth of double solar panels installed two years ago. They are 18 inches by about 24 inches each. Runs all the lights and stereo, the formers say.. I want to add four more, now that the main install is already done. I have never yet taken a "real" trip though as I have only had it one week.

I would actually like to put in a solar -waterpipe heating grid on top too, so I am looking into that.

Neat. And lucky you! Keep me posted on how it works. Plus I would be curious how much it weighs, if you ever get the RV weighed. How many batteries does it have and where are they located?

I got lucky, and my 89 Oddessy had 2 grand worth of double solar panels installed two years ago. They are 18 inches by about 24 inches each. Runs all the lights and stereo, the formers say.. I want to add four more, now that the main install is already done. I have never yet taken a "real" trip though as I have only had it one week.

I would actually like to put in a solar -waterpipe heating grid on top too, so I am looking into that.

i have been looking at some solar panels and came across a flexible one on amazon, called powerfilm, it's a 60 watt that will stow easily and can be laid out either on the truck or in the sun while the truck stays in the shade. around 8 bills, solar is $.

I know nothing about solar. That said, I did a quick look on FleaBay and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/120w-2x60w-flexible-solar-panel-12-24v-charge-car-/140532516646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8640726

They seem to be much more compact than the Powerfilm. I think space is a consideration on the roof of a MH. It's amazing how many things are up there to limit the installation of panels. Thin, flexible stick-on panels seem the way to go, to me at least. Measure twice, buy once!

I have a 65w single panel on my toy. For extended camping in the summer it works great, never run out of power. I run the A/C and microwave with a genset. In the winter after a 3 day camp the house battery is down to 30% due to the heater running.

I think 60w or so is a minimum for boondocking.

I just bought a 1984 Sunrader and plan on adding a solar panel. I've presently got a rare and small fiberglass trailer, a Play Pac, that I added a 40 watt panel to, along with charge controller and 400 watt inverter. This has worked really well for me. We run a couple compact fluorescent lights, a laptop and charge camera batteries, a small stereo, coffee grinder, etc. So far it's been plenty. I bought from the system from the same outfit that I'll get a larger panel for the new rig. 100 watt panel at Solar Blvd. My smaller panel is the same brand, Solar Cynergy and the price is hard to beat, $218.50 for a 100 watt, 12V panel, plus shipping. This is a rigid, frame mounted unit.

Just so you know, I have no connection with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

The battery I'm using is a true, deep cycle 100 amp hour battery, designed for solar systems. It's a sealed unit and was more expensive than a typical RV battery, but much better suited to the job. We lived with small solar in the boondocks for many years, so are pretty familiar with the stuff.

One more thing, most panels don't like heat, so make sure you leave room for air to circulate underneath, unless it specifically says that it operates well at high temps. Otherwise, just like shadows falling on it, the output will really suffer.

Steve

• 2 years later...

Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy

Model Name: PV-SC100J12

Number of Cells: 36 cells in a series (4 x 9)

Max Power: 100W

Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.0V

Short Circuit Current (Isc): 6.30A

Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.0V

Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.80A

Weight: 25 pounds

Dimensions (inches): 40.00 x 26.50 x 1.00

Includes Junction Box and MC4 Connectors

This is a unisolar panel. Sticks on. Wire goes down the exhaust tube on the other side to the closet where the controller is then another hole through thr closet goes to the battery bay.

120 watts. Ill put two on the roof for 200 watts then a standard 100 watt in front between those two.

The problem with unisolars is they are all long and thin but if you made an electrical project of hooking up peices around vents you could cover the whole roof

I use two costco size 27 115 amphr batteries but plan to upgrade add 2 golf cart calcium batteries in the mix.

post-6259-0-18697500-1391414202_thumb.jp

post-6259-0-82314600-1391414708_thumb.jp

post-6259-0-24163900-1391417011_thumb.jp