Ebay parts - cheap or good? I've heard it both ways.

In my experience using Autozone and Oreilly auto, I've bought a lot of parts. I'd say nearly 90% of the time, the parts worked out well. However on some things years back on my 1986 Caprice, I replaced a water pump just to have it fail in 9 months. Also on the same car I bought an alternator that "charged weakly" on idle till it went out 6 months later.

I've heard many people talk Toyota only parts, but of course that means $$$.

So I'm just going to share my experience with Ebay parts. On my other vehicle a Toyota Sienna, I purchased a Timing belt kit with water pump. The parts were absolutely wonderful & were OEM. Dirt cheap compared to a local retail shop. I've also purchased several blower motors and various sensors from Ebay that turned out fantastic and cheap.

I do hear many people call Ebay stuff roughly "junk" and I'm curious the experiences they may have had or heard about.

It's tough when I look at an alternator for my 1987 Dolphin and a brand NEW one on Ebay is $99 with free shipping & no core charge. I look up and (yes count it) the vendor has 30000+ positive feedbacks at a 99.7% ratio. New Water pumps from vendors with 150,000 positive feedbacks going for less than $25. Like I said Autozone & Oreilly only get it right about 90% of the time and I've bought some skunky stuff from both of these stores (dirt & crud in rebuilt stuff too). I'm sure Autozone & Oreilly don't have the same good feedback as some of these Ebay vendors (from my own experience).

I'm just curious if the "junk" on Ebay is really kind of just rumors or assumptions, (I've heard people also say that anything but Toyota dealership parts are junk) or if there are seriously bad real life experiences with very good "feedback" vendors on Ebay.

Anyway just strictly curious.

I've had both, good and junk. I guess the part only has to last until the buyer leaves feedback... I don't know if it has changed, but it use to be you could only leave feedback once, so even if you wanted buy another part to leave bad feedback as a warning it would not let you...

Andrew.

edit: Yes, you can leave another feedback, just it will not go towards the total feedback number.

Your biggest problem with ebay is what if it's bad? shipping both ways and a fight some times to get them to replace it especially electrical parts you might want to read the fine print on that. There is a huge crop of inferior parts from China floating around on places like ebay. No doubt big stores (NAPA etc.) have parts from China also but they are local and they back them up.

• 4 weeks later...

Like Maineah i go with napa or carquest we have Autozone and Oreilly here but i never go there i have in the past autozone muffler hangers looked like coat hanger wire compared to car quest hangers very heavy built also around here car quest and napa are much more profesanely run