My Sunrader reeks of gasoline! What do I do?

Sunrader 81

Hello all,

I just bought a 1981 Toyota Sunrader, and it's more of a fixer upper than I bargained for. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm trying to do as much as I can myself, but I don't know that much. When I bought it, it had under a quarter of a tank of gas. I slept in in happily for several nights, then went to fill it up with gasoline at the gas station. BIG MISTAKE. Ever since, it reeks so badly of gasoline in the little RV that I am afraid to sleep in it, I can't even sit in it for more than 15 minutes. I'm starting to get a headache just sitting here typing this. I called the guy who sold it to me and he said he just always kept the gas low in it, and it wasn't a problem. The smell is primarily coming from (it seems to me) one of the two tubes that runs from where you put the gasoline in the the car to the gas tank. One tube is large and one is very small (and exhaust tube maybe?) The larger tube does have a darker stain on it where gasoline could have leaked. This tube runs right under the stove/oven (brilliant planning) near the door. One section of the tube is readily accessible by taking off a panel near the oven, but the part that connects with the tank is not accessible (by me at least). I've taken it to the auto parts store and the RV store and they say that a leak in that little tube would not cause the smell. One guy said it was the carburator, and one guy said that it was probably the connection to the tank. I'm getting desperate! Any ideas? What should I do? Should I just change out all the tubes I can reach and see what happens? Can I still run my stove with these awful gas smell? Can I siphon the gas out of the tank until I can figure it all out? Should I hang out in here at all? Sorry, getting lightheaded. Gotta go find somewhere else to go.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sunrader 81

Hello,

Usually if it is a filler hose you will initialy get a gasoline smell right after fill up but usually goes

away in a few minutes to a few hours at most. It almost sounds like you might have a hole in the gas tank.

You probably want to make sure there is not a hole in the gas tank before you start taking hoses off, be sure

to check around the top of the tank and it might even be possible there is a leak on the top of your tank.

Crawl around under the RV with a flash light and try to see if you can see any stains on the gas tank. If you

do find a leak, for about $5 you can purchase a tank patch kit by JB Weld, clay like material to seal the hole.

It is pretty common for the filler hose to break down after 20+ years or is leaking right at the tank were the

hose attaches to the tank. The filler hose is not cheap, it is about $15 a foot and you probably need three

feet of it, and you need to use hose rated for gasoline. Also, be sure that the hose clamps are tight, you

may have a leak there. If you end up replacing the holes be sure to get new hose clamps and I think there

is a gasket between the filler hose and the gas tank.

The smaller hose is a vent hose, normally if it is clogged it takes longer to fill up the gas tank, but I would

guess if the vent hose is clogged maybe gas is getting pushed out of the tank through a loose hole seal.

Also, if the temperature is getting warmer and you have a full tank, gasoline will expand and if you have a

hole or loose cable, then that will account for the lasting gasoline smell.

In the meantime, I would not cook in the RV and be sure to keep the roof vents open and a window or two, you

do not want gasoline flumes to accumulate in the coach.

Hope this helps,

Dennis...

I think Dennis said it all (Well, except - DON'T SMOKE. :-)

It doesn't take a big leak to get strong odor, especially in a small confined area.

If the previous owner said it smells when the tank is to full, odds are, its leaking around the tank, filler neck hose, vent hose, either a hole, rotted hose, bad level sensor seal, etc.

Get your flashlight, and old pair of jeans and throw a piece of card board on the ground to slide around on. This should be real obvious if you climb under and look around.

SOunds like you already have it narrowed down.

While looking around, see if the hose is rubbing against something and rubbed a hole in the hose/tube.

If able, take the old hose off and take it with you to the parts store. I would change both hoses, the big one and the little one.

You should be able to siphon fuel out of the tank and into a 5 gallon can.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

This seems to be a common problem with these. I have an 85 Sunrader which we purchased 3 years ago. We live in Eastern Canada and flew to Detroit to purchase it and drive it home 1000 miles on the May long weekend. Imagine my shock when I went to fill it up for the first time when I suddenly heard a splashing noise, and saw a river of gasoline running from the bottom of our newly-purchased motorhome to the street. We nursed it home never putting more than 10 gallons in it at a time and discovered that the vent hose for the filler cap was rotted -about a $2.00 repair. The tank is in great shape as I imagine most of them are, as they do not see much winter weather. I still get a whiff of gas if I fill it right up, so I am guessing a rubber seal on the filler tube is probably a bit dried out after 25 years. I hope it is something minor like that for you. Good luck. You are in for a lot of fun-We love our Sunrader!!

James

There should be a panel in the front of the wheel well beneath the gas filler hole. take it out and you should have full axcess to the filler tube.

It's riveted in. My Toyota Sunrader has had it removed in the past and they put it back in with screws. On my Nissan Sunrader it's just missing

You can see everything you need to

Linda Scott

Gas filler tubes that pass through the interior of a camper shell are stupid! :) Designer on crack as usual and rushed for time in terms of getting out a product.

The float assembly might be leaking too. Definitely get this fixed asap man even if it means dropping the tank. Your body will thank you.

Thanks everybody!

I really appreciate all of your sage advice. I have to admit, I'm starting to think I am in over my head with this purchase and these problems, so it's great to know that I'm not alone, and that there are folks out there that love their sunrader! I got down under it and looked all around and couldn't see any dark stains or leaks on the outside of the gas tank. I replaced the part of the filler vent tube that I could reach that looked broke down (2 bucks) and checked the filler tube (it seemed fine). I can BARELY reach where the filler tube and filler vent tube attatches to the gas tank, I touched all around it and my hand smelled like gasoline after, but I didn't notice any damp spots. There is no way I could reach this connection to change anything, though. My sunrader doesn't seem to have that riveted panel on the outside under the fuel intake tubes; bummer! The weather has cooled down considerably since two days ago, so while the smell is still there, it is much fainter. I've been sleeping in the rv with the window right by my head open so I get plenty of fresh air and I use the stove only after opening all the windows and doors and airing everything out. I guess I just need to drive it around a ton to get some of the gas used up. I contacted a mechanic and he said that the next step would be to drop the tank and check the connections there. That it would be a 2-3 hour job on an EMPTY tank of gas. So I need to use the gas up! Thanks again for all your help! This is the first question of many that I'm going to post here, you better believe it!

Warmly,

Sunrader 81

5Toyota my 1978 not a sunrader had the same problm i had to take out cook stove the filler hose behind awood cover behind the stove all fixed now avery bad stio problem bought hose at car quest recomend you replace all of it

The very first time I went to fill my '92 Dolphin up I noticed gas spilling out of the vent hose close to the tank :thumbdown: . So, I replaced the entire hose.

I will mention that it was a pain in the arse to do because of the limited amount of room but, it was doable.

Go to the Fuel Tanks and Etc discussion on this site, scroll all the way down to the bottom and read both discussions by Sitztoy. This is what you are probably up against.

Allen