tarped yoda

RVdaytrader

blahhhhh!!...more snow today!.....pics show why I like a tarp vs no tarp...pic 1 is before and pic 2 is 15 minutes later!...snow slides off effortlessly! I would never let snow on the roof all winter. Water will get into the smallest crack in cauked spots, freeze and expand which makes crack bigger...next freeze-thaw cycle makes crack bigger, etc, etc...before u know it crack is all the way thru and water gets inside. Tarp is a 16x24 which covers the roof and halfway down the sides to cover windows...I have 3 roof vents with maxair covers and a/c unit and put a upside down laundry basket in the 2 spaces between vents to support the tarp from front to back.

post-4473-0-89486400-1298327016_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-60521800-1298327203_thumb.jp

16x24 ... at first I had a 12x20, but that size did not cover the windows all the way...I didnt want water freezing behind the window moldings either, so I sprung for the bigger size.

Nice ! What size tarp do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

blahhhhh!!...more snow today!.....pics show why I like a tarp vs no tarp...pic 1 is before and pic 2 is 15 minutes later!...snow slides off effortlessly! I would never let snow on the roof all winter. Water will get into the smallest crack in cauked spots, freeze and expand which makes crack bigger...next freeze-thaw cycle makes crack bigger, etc, etc...before u know it crack is all the way thru and water gets inside. Tarp is a 16x24 which covers the roof and halfway down the sides to cover windows...I have 3 roof vents with maxair covers and a/c unit and put a upside down laundry basket in the 2 spaces between vents to support the tarp from front to back.

COME ON ALREADY!!...ENOUGH of this white *rap!!!!...we got about 6 inches of heavy sleety snow last night. Even with the tarp it took 30 minutes to get the %$ off!!!

Stupid groundhog....

By seeing no shadow as he emerged from his ceremonial burrow in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, on Groundhog Day 2011, Phil, according to tradition, is said to have predicted an early spring.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110201-groundhog-day-2011-punxsutawney-phil-weeks-winter-us-weather-anniversary/

I find winter camping to be very peaceful and beautiful. At least the tarp prevents the snow from actually freezing to the roof. I have no roof vents on my chinook but I can see how the snow and ice could loosen up the seals and open up the cracks. I prefer to store my motor-home inside during the winter but thats not always an option. up here many people build a few small trusses to put on the roof of their camper before the tarp so it'll shed the snow ( I ll take a picture of one if I see one around and post it )

chinook%20winter.jpg?psid=1

Us and Friends enjoying tons of winter snow :)

Lance

Has anyone tried a class C motorhome cover? I've seen them online for about $300. Anyone know anything about how easy/cumbersome they might be?

I got one from ebay, under $300 my first year using it, so-far it's holding up well. We have had lots of windstorms and it has not budged. i did add a few more tarp-clips to hold it down.

It is much longer, I can almost join the two lower sides together under the frame... But it does cover the tires too!

It is rated as water proof, but I still run a tarp under the entire truck, Just in-case...Also it's not going to last more than 3, possible 5 years, it is in my opinion a little thin... but you get what you pay for... (At least i did) but i'm glad I did get it. I will however keep my eye open for a better made cover for cheep! (craigslist)

Andrew.

100_0684.jpg

100_0683.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thank you. Much cheaper than buying an rv cover and pretty much the same thing.