Please help a noob

peacemaker885

Hi Guys - This is my first post, and all I can say is that this is a great forum. I learned a lot! I just wanted to seek your advice - I'm going to look at a 1991 model this weekend. The guy is the second owner and he says that it runs great and everything is good. Mileage is 120K. I have so many questions but the main thing that concerns me is the mileage. I mean should the mileage matter more than the overall physical state of the camper (like leaks, appliances, etc). I have almost zero knowledge in engine repair, what should I be looking at when I drive it? Thanks so much in advanced.

If it has a Toyota 22R 4 cylinder engine then you can expect a better than average lifespan on it. That is if it recieved decent care. I have 4 different 22R engines, 3 in pickup trucks and one in the Sunrader, the pickups are all well into their 200,000 + mile range. The highest mileage one was pulled down at 230,000 and just got a valve job and timing chain & chain guides, water pump, the entire bottom end was fine, original rings and all, in fact the top end was fine, but hey, the head was off so why not do the valves and chain. Of course even the best engine can be ruined by lack of coolant, oil, overreving, sucking dirt, ect. Start the thing up and listen for a steady idle, pull the dip stick and look for clean oil without any water scum, same for the tranny (if an automatic). Look under the hood and under the engine for leaks. Pop the radiator cap (make sure engine is cool) start engine and look for bubbles or oil scum. Drive it and check out the transmission, listen for noises, check the break function, look at the break fluid reservor for clean fluid.

Appliences can get expensive also so take the time to make sure each of them works. Fixing body rot is no fun either. If you really don't want to work on it you will be money ahead to buy one that does not need any work for a few thousand more.

The general consensus is that the V6 is worse. If you can get hold of the service records showing regular maintenance, especially indicating that the timing belt has been changed every 60k miles and perhaps the valve clearances adjusted, so much the better. There was also a cylinder head gasket recall for the V6. You can check at a Toyota dealer (with the VIN) to see if it was included and done.

On the other hand, the automatic transmission used with the V6 is better than the one behind the 22RE. Can't win them all!

If your only concern is the mileage, 120 is nothing for this engine. If it was serviced regularly you should be fine. There was a factory recall on some of the V6 engines, you can contact the dealer with the VIN# and they should be able to tell you if it was needed and if so done or not. I would say look for leaks #1. If your not sure about how it runs, you can get it inspected at your dealer.

Hope it helps.

Andrew.

I concur....definitely get a compression test, my 1991 V6 had a burnt valve at 107K.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the input. I checked the Toy over the weekend and it was in pretty bad shape. Interior was pretty dirty, unkept. Outside it was worse. Lots of dents, front grill missing, and a some hits on the camper shell (dunno the exactt term) Whats worse is that its not registered, not for 2 years. So dunno if this will pass smog. Pretty disappointed. Back on the hunt....

Sounds like it was worth walking away from. But at least you've learned some of the things to look for on your next inspection.

Where are you located in case anyone knows of something available. Any particular model/layout that catches your eye?

Thanks Derek. I'm down here in sunny Los Angeles :-) There was a supper duper nice one last week. It had the dining table at the back so it folds down to make a really nice sized bed. These babies are gone like in minutes. Oh well. I really prefer the newer ones, V6 1990 and above.

Edited by peacemaker885

I concur....definitely get a compression test, my 1991 V6 had a burnt valve at 107K.

chris, what did you do about it? i haven't confirmed yet that i do have a burnt valve on the odyssey, but, i suspect i do. i am wondering if i would be able to pull the heads and do it myself. i am a reasonably competent mechanic and actually did a complete rebuild (twice) on my toyota supra about 100 years ago. Learned there hard way that blocking off main bearing oil passages is a pretty bad idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got our 1989 Dolphin :-) Thanks so much to all of you guys. I have a few questions though:

1. I plan to do a full inspection of the roof. It should be able to support my weight right? I'm 150 lbs.

2. More on roof repair, do I remove the older/earlier seals they did, or just add to it? Is it OK to use sandpaper to smoothen them before applying over?

3. More on seals - is it better to use Etenabond vs traditional liquid sealers? Also, since its kinda old, the color is off white. Is there a seal that can match the color?

3. Is there a place where I can source lens or light covers for the small exterior lights? These are the 5 lights that can be found above the window, outside of the bunk bed (dunno what its called?

Thanks again guys. We are very happy and excited.

3. Is there a place where I can source lens or light covers for the small exterior lights? These are the 5 lights that can be found above the window, outside of the bunk bed (dunno what its called?<BR><BR>These outside lights on the top of the rig , in front amber, in rear red, are called clearance lights, read more here

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3447&view=findpost&p=18149&hl=%2Bclearance+%2Blights&fromsearch=

you can get replacement lenses from auto parts store, probably the Bargman model if original

PeaceMaker;

You should be able to walk around up there, providing there is no major damage.

Stay close to the side until your sure.

ALSO - Don't use the ladder until your sure its secure. I used a 6ft step ladder to climb up and down while doing aall the work.

Check these two links:

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3459

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3481

The sealer I used is self leveling, its about the thickness of STP, and flows a little. I used a 1inch brush with the brussles cut down to may 3/4 inch. I then brushed the sealent around all the screws, seams, etc.

I used putty (the kind that comes on a roll) under all the new parts.

chris, what did you do about it? i haven't confirmed yet that i do have a burnt valve on the odyssey, but, i suspect i do. i am wondering if i would be able to pull the heads and do it myself. i am a reasonably competent mechanic and actually did a complete rebuild (twice) on my toyota supra about 100 years ago. Learned there hard way that blocking off main bearing oil passages is a pretty bad idea!

I had a remanufactured Jasper engine put in, 3yr/100K warrantee.....cost $5650!!! But I can't do any mechanical work myself, so have to pay ....

1. I plan to do a full inspection of the roof. It should be able to support my weight right? I'm 150 lbs.

Congratulations :)

I'm 175 lbs and can walk all around our 89 Dolphins roof. I have no leaks or rot and it feels solid when i'm up there. To keep it this way, I'm strongly considering the spray-on bedliner coating another member has done.

Andrew.

Lee & Joan - Thanks so much for your help. We spoke on the phone dunno if you remember. That conversation really helped a lot.

John Mc - Thanks for the advice. Do you have a specific brand of the sealer?

Andrew - The spray on bedliner sounds very interesting. I really want to make this baby last. Is this similar to the bedliners they use on trucks?

Thanks so much again.

I have a 84 Dolphin and have always been afraid to walk on the roof. The roof looks fine, but I thought it would be a good idea to remove and reseal vents, seams and windows, some day. I weigh less than 150#, but not sure of my roof's strength.

If you want to walk on the roof and are not sure if you should, you can use a piece of plywood, 2 pieces are better. Stay on one small piece while you move the other piece to your next location. The plywood will spread you pounds per square inch (of your foot) to the bigger area of the plywood thus giving less weight in one small spot. I have walked around on fiberglass greenhouse roofs this way.

Do you have a specific brand of the sealer?

Dicor White 502-LSW

or

C10 FlowSeal

These come in caulking tubes, Just the roof seams, vents you'll need 5 or 6 tubes.

Nice looking Toy! Rear Dinette & 22RE engine? You must be thrilled! :)

Thanks Bunneys!

84TOYRV - its an 89 Dolphin with, like you said rear dinette. I think Derek got it correctly. The brochure i have shows 550 - but its a slightly different layout.

Went to have it smog tested this morning and I was just worried since its a pretty old MH no mater what. We are the 5th owners, but the folder that we have holds all of the receipts of service that were done to it since the first owner. Seems like each one loved this MH. My fears were allayed when the results came out. It passed with flying colors. A testament I guess not only to Toyota, but to each owner that came before us. We don't have any plans of breaking this chain :-)