Permanent table or am I weak?

krilov

You could try tapping on it with a piece of wood while pulling up or take a longer piece of 2x4 and duct tape it to the pole down near the bottom letting a foot stick past the pole to give you some leverage, or put the wood on the seat bottom. A pad sander with no sandpaper makes a good vibrator to shake it loose while pulling up also. That is assuming there is no set screw holding it in. Mine does not have anything holding it in. The WD-40 is good idea too.

Have a great day

GP

Tried a bunch of times to pull the table bar thing up in my "dinette" area, but no go. Is it permanent? If so, why?

You can see the tricky table and my floorplan in this photomed_gallery_4277_236_158258.jpg

Since that table hasn't been removed on a regular basis to transform a dinette into a bed, there's a fair chance it's never been removed since the 'home left the factory. There's a chance there's been some galvanic corrosion (dis-similar metals) between the post and base. I'd try something much better than WD-40 (I'm not a big fan). My favorite is PB Blaster. I've heard good things about Kroil, though I've never found any to try. But, again, if there's no setscrew or other mechanical fastener.

I can't see it too well in the photo but if it is on a post they are tapered and get pretty tight if a lot of weight is put on it like some ones back side. If all else fails try your truck jack and an appropriate length 2X4 put a little bit of strain on one end and pull up on the other.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to resort to bajadulce's solution, and even after I removed the tube and floor socket, put the tube in a vice and hammered on the socket, it still would not come off. I had to cut the socket in half with a dremel tool to get it off. And it had only been a year or so since I had removed the tube from the socket with no trouble. Go figure!

Bill

Derek, whatever you heard about kroil was an understatement. The stuff really is amazing. PB is pretty good, but, it ain't kroil. And WD-40? Well, I hear it take crayon marks off pretty well.

I think the trick to getting the table up is to twist it.

If you have one of those strap wrench thingies, you should be able to get a pretty good bite on it. Twisting and lifting at the same time might work.

I did a quick search for kroil just to see what it was and found this...

Some info from another forum that I found:

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break

out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective

test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque

required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds

The Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF)-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix

of 50 - 50 automatic

transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this

one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now

use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about

as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Here is the link I found:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/where-find-kroil-876253/

I hope i can find a place to buy Kroil here in BC so i can try it. :)

I discovered PB Blaster while living in NY. I think it's only in the last few years that Canadian Tire has started carrying it (I could be wrong). Since I started using PB Blaster, I've either become VERY lucky or it really works very well. No scientific testing to know which one.

I never came across Kroil for sale, so never tried it. The person who told me about how effective it is also assured me that it hurts like oooo when you get it in your eyes!!

Thanks for tracking down that link. I'll have to give the 'home brew' a try when I run out of PB Blaster. I've a pretty good stock brought back from the US where it is, of course, about half the price of CT!

Midway is a gun, hunting suppler, so you might be able to find it in Canada at an outfitter supply place. No guns in Canada?

I see that it got 60+ out of 60+ positive reviews at the Midway site.