Affordable NorCal heater / furnace tech?

BillF

I just joined this site, hoping for some guidance.

Skimming the forum, I realize that this is the place to go, once I decide to try to personally solve all my vehicle's quirks. But frankly, I'm not going to find the time to experiment with removing circuit boards, etc. And I don't want to get financially taken by a repair shop that doesn't know what to do, other than replace entire devices.

I've owned my Odessey since '97. I've cleaned cobwebs out of the gas lines, and generally managed to keep the beast running. But both my hot water heater and furnace are getting less reliable, and that takes the fun out of traveling.

So I'm looking for that guy or gal within a few hour's drive of San Francisco who's affordable, and competent, and can get these two devices back up to par.

Suggestions?

Bill in Mill Valley

Hi Bill. What took you so long??

I can't recommend anyone, but have you seen both the furnace and heater starting to act up at pretty much the same time? How about the fridge and stove? If they're also less than great, I'd suspect the propane pressure regulator. I'd start by trying to find someone who could test the pressure/flow before diving in to the appliances.

I agree with Derek, regulators are cheap and easy to replace just don't use teflon tape on the fittings use pipe dope. Even if it does not fix your problem it's most likely 20+years old and if it fixes it it's a lot cheaper then paying some one to fix it for you.

No, the gas to the stove seems fine. (The refrigerator is another story. It half-died a decade ago (seems the freezer works, but not the main compartment) and I just switched to a cooler. Furnace and water heater were working a year ago, but not consistently. Went down to the vehicle a month or so ago, and poked around the water heater via the exterior hatch blindly trying to remove any cobwebs, and managed to get it to kick in. Then last week, tried again, but failed. Then tried the furnace, and noticed that although the fan rattled away, there was no flame.

My love affair with the Great White Beast is strained by these ongoing ailments (it leaks, too!), and I'm willing to pay to get consistent heat and hot water on my rare excursions out. Any good resources within driving distance?

post-4710-018381200 1296261138_thumb.jpg

No, the gas to the stove seems fine. (The refrigerator is another story. It half-died a decade ago (seems the freezer works, but not the main compartment) and I just switched to a cooler. Furnace and water heater were working a year ago, but not consistently. Went down to the vehicle a month or so ago, and poked around the water heater via the exterior hatch blindly trying to remove any cobwebs, and managed to get it to kick in. Then last week, tried again, but failed. Then tried the furnace, and noticed that although the fan rattled away, there was no flame.

My love affair with the Great White Beast is strained by these ongoing ailments (it leaks, too!), and I'm willing to pay to get consistent heat and hot water on my rare excursions out. Any good resources within driving distance?

post-4710-018381200 1296261138_thumb.jpg

RV Doctor George up in Sacramento does good work. Not cheap, but I've found them to be standup guys. Worth a shot.

-andrew

Thanks Andrew,

That's exactly what I'm looking for - a standup guy that's comfortable with these older vehicles.

They put in a new water heater for me and resealed the windows on my 90 Sunrader when i was a complete newbie. They also replumbed the airbags with a new controller in the cab. Again, it wasn't cheap but there also wasn't any baloney or post-estimate 'surprises.'

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

OK - I'm back. And the beast is better! Drove out to Sacto last Friday, and camped in Dr George's driveway. Saturday morning got the water heater and furnace worked-on, and strip of trim fixed. Yep - labor is $110 an hour, but I expect that George and Matt are as smart as any service provider west of the Mississippi regarding these vehicles. And he might just round down the minutes. So I'm a happy camper.

Bill.

NOTE: He's got more parts from old RVs than I've ever seen. So if you need a replacement dodad, give him a call!

OK - I'm back. And the beast is better! Drove out to Sacto last Friday, and camped in Dr George's driveway. Saturday morning got the water heater and furnace worked-on, and strip of trim fixed. Yep - labor is $110 an hour, but I expect that George and Matt are as smart as any service provider west of the Mississippi regarding these vehicles. And he might just round down the minutes. So I'm a happy camper.

Bill.

NOTE: He's got more parts from old RVs than I've ever seen. So if you need a replacement dodad, give him a call!

Glad to hear they took good care of you... I'll be making the annual pilgrimage out to the shop in a few weeks too because I'm too chicken to try and do a refrigerator core replacement. And their stock of 'stuff' is unbelievable for sure. Hope to see you out on the road (we're East Bay).

-andrew

The best fridge repair available anywhere around here is Cranes in Vallejo.

http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/

They do cooling unit repair and charge a very reasonable price. Fixed mine 6 years ago and still running strong

Linda S

Glad to hear they took good care of you... I'll be making the annual pilgrimage out to the shop in a few weeks too because I'm too chicken to try and do a refrigerator core replacement. And their stock of 'stuff' is unbelievable for sure. Hope to see you out on the road (we're East Bay).

-andrew