A repair kit to get you home?

rubinscube

So tomorrow I am getting my 1981 Toyota huntsman. Since we live in Colorado, I have no wish to to get stuck somewhere due to a cracked radiator hose or other issue. I would like to know what you take on those trips that are far from civilization and an auto parts store. So far I have duct tape and bailing wire.

So tomorrow I am getting my 1981 Toyota huntsman. Since we live in Colorado, I have no wish to to get stuck somewhere due to a cracked radiator hose or other issue. I would like to know what you take on those trips that are far from civilization and an auto parts store. So far I have duct tape and bailing wire.

Doesn't get any better then that! It's a fact of life no matter what you need you won't have no matter how much stuff you take. I guess the best bet it to check it out real well before you leave. The only thing I take is a small tool set and hope I can hitch hike some where to buy a part does NAPA deliver to motor homes?

Believe it or not you can sometimes patch radiator hoses with large tire patches. Then wrap some duct tape around the patch then some wire then more duct tape. I carry a spare upper and lower hose and extra belts. I purchased our toy 200 plus miles away from home so I bought the extras before getting on the road. You might want to check out the tires also, noting worse than a blow out on the way home.

Add hose clamps. If you have radiator hose trouble and you PATCH it you should leave the radiator cap lose so you don't blow the patch.

Best deal is let it cool and change the hose. No big deal, you have a place to wait in comfort.

It won't turn the alternator, but you can make a spare fan belt out of a nylon stocking and just drive the water pump.

Almost forgot there is a coolent hose behind the water pump, on the engine exhaust side, that is almost never changed. It has bitten several members.

Flashlight

Toolkit (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc)

2 tubes caulk tube roof sealant and caulk gun (get the kind that flows)

1 inch paint brush (for spreading sealant)

small wd40 / lubricant

gallon RV antifreeze (dump some in each drain)

gallon auto antifreeze

spare thermostat

duct tape

thick plastic sheet (10 mill)

2 each 1057 bulbs (turn signal)

2 each 1046 bulbs (couch lights)

window cleaner

paper towels

sleeping bag

6 ft step ladder

Good Point, Double check to make sure you have a jack and lug wrench, and a spare tire (all hold air)

A lot of the stuff you can purchase at local Walmart.

I bought mine in fair weather (New Mexico) and drove it back to Cold weather ( Ohio)

Before I hit the cold weather, I stopped for half a day, did a quick roof seal job (just enough to last the winter) and fixed some of the little things that needed attention now (do it while I'm in warm weather)

Good luck

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto