Newbie in Eugene, Oregon

suesorensen

Hi,

This looks like a great resource for me. I recently bought a 1982 Toyota Dolphin, 22 ft. A carpenter/handyman friend is getting windows reglazed. He's basically gutted it except for the kitchen and bathroom--took out the eating area and couch/bed. He's rebuilding it for me to use for my work on the road. I sell on eBay, and he's making me a nice big work counter with lots of storage underneath, plus a dinette that converts into a bed. I'll sleep up above the cab. I'm moving into The Guppy at the end of this month and I'm traveling south for the remainder of the winter and spring, then to the Midwest for the summer, returning to Eugene in the fall.

I have been doing lots of reading, but I must admit to having a hard time understanding anything that has to do with electricity. (My dad wouldn't let me take physics in high school, because he didn't want to have to do the homework...) What I'd really like is if some knowledgeable person could just show me exactly what to do when I want to stop for the night. Which switches to flip or whatever. What I should be watching for or monitoring, and how to do it. That kind of stuff. Is there anyone in my area that I could visit with and get some advice?

Thanks!

Sue

Welcome to the Forum.

I wish I could help.

#1 I hate electrics;

#2 I'm in Montreal!

Your friend doesn't know some of the ins & outs of electricity? He must have come across a few wires while working in there.

Have you managed to figure out how the various appliances work? Do you have the manuals for them? Let us know what you've discovered so far and maybe we can walk you through at least some of the simpler things.

Hi Derek, thanks for your answer. Yes, I believe my handyman friend (son-in-law of a good friend) knows the ins and outs of electricity and he will probably be able to help me figure out a lot. I'm also going to take the rig to a local mechanic for new shocks when the interior is done. So probably someone will show me the routine of what I need to do so I don't inadvertently electrocute myself or end up in the boonies with no power. I guess I'm just anxious to understand this stuff now. I've given notice on my rental house for the end of the month, and I'm very busy getting rid of furniture and so on. I'd like my move into the Dolphin to be as smooth as possible, and my lack of practical knowledge is a little scary sometimes.

Most of the work my friend is doing hasn't involved moving or changing out any electric components. He's mostly rebuilding furniture to suit my work needs. My Dolphin was previously owned by an electrician and it has all sorts of extra plugs, both 110v and 12v, and it's got a little microwave and it's cable-ready, so it's pretty updated for a 1982, I guess.

I have no manuals for the rig or for the appliances. The Dolphin is still over at the handyman's house and I should get it back late next week. Then I can start messing around with it and seeing what I can figure out, with some help. I'll let you know how things go once I have it back!

Sue

You can look in here for manuals http://toyotamotorho...php?app=gallery

the Winebago owners manual is pretty good & there are also some applience manuals

more specifically here~> http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=cats&do=sc&cat=48

It's nice that it was 'updated' by an electrician, but unfortunately it'ss make it even more difficult for us to walk you through it since it's likely different to what we have. Are you still able to contact the previous owner to ask him what changes he made? Anything you find out might be very useful information.

You might try reading a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing". And though I haven't downloaded it myself (130Meg file and dial-up internet don't work well together) you might try this:-

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL2407683M/How_to_keep_your_Toyota_pickup_alive

from this site:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17506795/Toyota_Pickup_Idiot_Book.pdf

It's nice that it was 'updated' by an electrician, but unfortunately it'ss make it even more difficult for us to walk you through it since it's likely different to what we have. Are you still able to contact the previous owner to ask him what changes he made? Anything you find out might be very useful information.

You might try reading a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing". And though I haven't downloaded it myself (130Meg file and dial-up internet don't work well together) you might try this:-

http://openlibrary.o...ta_pickup_alive

from this site:-

http://dl.dropbox.co..._Idiot_Book.pdf

Just did the download. Very good resource.

I downloaded the 1985 Factory Service Manual. 50megs with dial-up took about 12 hours. You might want to download it too, just to have on file. It's not '82, but most details should apply to yours. It's on Google, so you'll have to open an account:-

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B_1LbTxQDmlVYmRkZTE2YjItODUzYS00NDUxLTk0ODUtYTYxYjZiYjk4ZTA5&hl=en

Could somebody download it with DSL and put it on CD's at a saving of time?

26 days on dial-up is unreasonable.

Derek;

e-mail me your address and I'll drop a CD in the mail.

I've been downloading all the manuals that apply to my Dolphin,

waiter -at- iflyez -dot- com

Thanks very much for the offer, but I'll decline. I'll get a buddy to do it locally. And since I've no garage to work in, plenty of snow and a cold snap (even by our standards), it'll be months before I'm doing any wrenching!

But it could make nice fireside reading for when I finish reading the FSM. <_<

I did actually try downloading it again the other day. Just clicked download and let it run. Mid-morning (the next day) it was at 101mb downloaded, then it stopped!!! Grrr! :ranting2:

EDIT: A friend has downloaded it, so next time I see him we'll swap the file to my computer. His quick impression was that it was pretty basic, but it's not everyone who needs the knowledge contained in the FSM.

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum! I was a newbie once and remember oh so well my fears around the electricity part. Everything else I understood pretty good, but was scaird about anything electrical. Basically when you park for the night (without hookups) you will be using your 12v house battery. It won't run things like air conditioning or microwaves or toasters even, but will give you lights and water pump. When you are plugged into shore power you can run anything (but maybe not all at the same time LOL), just remember that you can only run the a/c on 30 AMP power (that's the really big three prong thingy). If you even have a roof a/c. I have a 1991 Itasca and have been full timing for 3 years now so feel free to IM me with any questions. And if you get to Texas this winter look me up and maybe I can help. Peace, Christine