Mountains, speed to expect with a 4 cyl 1987?

crasster

I'm very close to buying a 1987 4 cylinder with a 22RE motor.

I typically accelerate VERY SLOWLY in my passenger cars. I drive like that. SLOW accel, slow stops. In fact, my grandmother outruns me off a red light (true story).

So obviously acceleration speed does not concern me.

What concerns me is "cruising highway speed".

Can I go 60mph down a Interstate with a 4 cyl?

What speeds can I expect going up mountains with moderate grades?

Again, I'm not looking to win any races, but before I buy I want to be sure these units can go into the rocky mountains without having to slow to 15mph going up steep mountains or something like that.

I just want it to be practical and usable.

Experience and stories appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone.

On the steepest grades it doesn't matter if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. As I passed over a 12K pass two years ago the guy in the BMW behind me didn't have enough umph to pass me. He obviously forgot to get a high altitude tune up.

Just get acclimated to being a snail on the highway of life. You get to see more things the slower you go.

Dave

I typically accelerate VERY SLOWLY in my passenger cars. I drive like that. SLOW accel, slow stops. In fact, my grandmother outruns me off a red light (true story).

Again, I'm not looking to win any races, but before I buy I want to be sure these units can go into the rocky mountains without having to slow to 15mph going up steep mountains or something like that.

Thanks everyone.

Your speed on long mountain grades might drop to between 35 and 45 or so, but your Toyhome will do just fine. I've owned my 85 Dolphin with the four cylinder engine here in Western Montana for about thirteen years and I go wherever I want to on paved roads and lots of gravel roads to remote campsites and small villages. Sixty MPH is about the top speed for me and that not very often. I'm usually running at about 55. It seems like at 60 MPH and up more air pressure is put on the house panels and framing making leaks develop more quickly by flexing the whole structure a little bit. I don't have any proof of this, of course. Maybe its the rum...

I never tire of showing this picture. The vehicle is an 83 Sunrader 21ft 4cyl, 4 spd man, the highway is I81 through Virginina and Tennessee and the road was level when this pic was made. Steep mountain grades, fully loaded (camper), It got down to 40 mph. I normally run about 65 mph on the interstates.

Allen

post-481-080666100 1290525907_thumb.jpg

Maybe these pic will answer some of your questions

1986 Escaper 21ft,4cyl, auto

post-18-021944600 1290529223_thumb.jpg

post-18-060798400 1290529279_thumb.jpg

post-18-015760200 1290529333_thumb.jpg

post-18-044061300 1290529389_thumb.jpg

post-18-096120600 1290529430_thumb.jpg

xperience and stories appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone.

Just arrived in Tenn yesterday from NC in our 1986 Coachman with the 22 RE engine and auto trans after crossing the mountains in NC and Tenn. Got down to 40 MPH up the mountains buy this amazing 24 YO motorhome made it with no problems. Ran hiway at 55-60 and will return home to NC then to Fla at Christmas and then leave there for Phoenix, Az. Great to be retired and have no time schedule to follow and a great little motorhome to travel in with our 3 puppies who love to travel.

In March 2010 I drove my 87 Dolphin with 22re and automatic from Philadelphia to Michigan. The engine badly needed spark plugs, rotor, and cap. But it was Interstate all the way and low altitudes. I seldom dropped below 50 mph and only once dropped below 45.

On my 10,000 mile trip around the country i remember crossing Under the Continental Divide on I-70 in Colorado which tops out over 11,000ft doing under 20mph but i made it and that was on a bad tranny. But i remember it and thats what i was out for, memories. These 22re's take a beating as well as the transmissions.Have yet to find a hill she wont climb...except when snow is on the ground. love the pict of 80mph!!

go for it

My 22R 4-speed Sunrader made it across I-80 from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne and then down I-25 over Monument Pass and Raton Pass and never dropped below 45-50mph. I hit the hills at 65mph and believe altitudes were as high as 8800'.

On steady highway cruising I typically run 65mph but have run sustained 80mph on flat ground with no wind just out of curiosity. My opinion is anything over 65mph in mine is too fast based on it's stability.

My '84 Dolphin w/22R engine w/ a weber two barrel, a tuned header, and K&N filters will run 75 to 80 MPH all day long on the flats and 55 MPH up the Mt. mountain passes, (I live in Butte Mt.). I've had the Dolphin for two years and am impressed every time I drive it! What fun and a head turner.

T.A.J.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just drove 1600 miles, Albuquerque NM to Toledo Ohio.

22R with EFI and auto trans with Overdrive.

I've come to theconclusion that the OD can only be used on straight and level, with a slight tail wind

I-40 between Albuquerque and the Texas boarder is 7,000 ft elevation, moderate grades.

I had the cruise control set at 60 and it was able to hold it most of the time.

Averaged about 14.5 mpg

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 auto