Just got a 93 winnie warrior w/v6. Back from a 2000 mile trip - getting about 12mpg. I had a 92 itasca spirit with the same engine and got about 15mpg.

Suspect that some of the pollution stuff is not right. The check engine light came a few times intermittently but I could not get the jumper on the connectors before it stopped. The engine runs good - real good. The exhaust smells "rich" for lack of a better word.

Any reports on this scenario? Mileage reports? Any experience with the emissions system?

Mine's a 92 averaged out 13.75 Use the OD as much as possible and drive about 60 mph, you didn't mention how many miles on the unit, Converter??

49,000 miles. drive about 60 with a light foot.

Converter? --it is an automatic transmission & I use the OD too. It has a catalytic converter -- it looks like 2 in sequence (built that way)

Mine has 2 catalytic converters in line also and a lot more miles, the check eng light sounds like somethings going on, the list is long, Air filter Plugs, plugs wires the cold start injector maybe leaking dragging brakes trans not going into OD, Compression should be checked.

If your sure about the gas mileage that is a indicator, and the rich smell. Mine the gas mileage varies a lot sometimes under 12 and close to 15 sometimes but averaged out 13.75

Just got a 93 winnie warrior w/v6. Back from a 2000 mile trip - getting about 12mpg. I had a 92 itasca spirit with the same engine and got about 15mpg.

Suspect that some of the pollution stuff is not right. The check engine light came a few times intermittently but I could not get the jumper on the connectors before it stopped. The engine runs good - real good. The exhaust smells "rich" for lack of a better word.

Any reports on this scenario? Mileage reports? Any experience with the emissions system?

We were getting approximately 17 mpg (that's a Imperial gallon, by the way, which is slightly larger than an American gallon). Here in Canada we actually buy gas by the litre (:ranting2:) and we're used to converting to the Imperial (larger) although that measure is not being used anymore. However that's what we're used to converting from so .... probably the number would be smaller if using the U.S. gallon ???

Confusing?

Mine has 2 catalytic converters in line also and a lot more miles, the check eng light sounds like somethings going on, the list is long, Air filter Plugs, plugs wires the cold start injector maybe leaking dragging brakes trans not going into OD, Compression should be checked.

If your sure about the gas mileage that is a indicator, and the rich smell. Mine the gas mileage varies a lot sometimes under 12 and close to 15 sometimes but averaged out 13.75

what year is your unit?

mine runs great - strong, never misses a lick. Could barely tell any oil was used on 2,000 mile trip. New air filter, oil change, coolant change & brake fluid changed.

there is a lot of emission stuff on these units.

I am thinking on the line of something making the unit run rich -- like it thinks the engine has just been started.

what year is your unit?

mine runs great - strong, never misses a lick. Could barely tell any oil was used on 2,000 mile trip. New air filter, oil change, coolant change & brake fluid changed.

there is a lot of emission stuff on these units.

I am thinking on the line of something making the unit run rich -- like it thinks the engine has just been started.

Mine's a 92 it does have a cold start Injector if it was leaking all the time it would be rich, but I would think it would be a little hard starting when it is warm ie like a choke being closed to much.I took out the injector's and had them cleaned the cold start injector was plugged and not working & it was starting ok with out it, but I wasn't starting it in extremely cold weather.I would try to find out why the check eng light came on Sometimes a partly clogged converter will cause this,checking with a temp gun the temp going into the converter will be lower. Downstream about 100deg hotter a least the first converter since their are 2 in line this can be checked at idle.

Jump your wire any way it should store a code unless the power to the ECM has been removed. Most common code will be O2 sensor and the light may go on and off if you are climbing hills and coasting back down. If you want to check the converter a good vacuum gauge will give a clue if the idle vacuum is poor. Generally if the cat is plugged it will be gutless well relatively speaking, more so then normal. If it's rich the exhaust will have sort of a sweet smell to it because the cat is working over time. A bad O2 sensor will have an effect on your mileage but not a dramatic one.

There may be more than one issue here. Have you replaced the fuel filter since you bought this Toy? A dirty one won't bring on the check engine light but could account for 1 mpg.

There may be more than one issue here. Have you replaced the fuel filter since you bought this Toy? A dirty one won't bring on the check engine light but could account for 1 mpg.

I would think a clogged fuel filter would cause the engine to run lean = better MPG but bad for the engine. Figure out how to jumper the test plug and read the codes and as soon as the light comes on pull over and get the code(s). I think that if there are 3 successive starts without the error the light can go off. You have to have the code(s) or you are just guessing in the dark.

A plugged fuel filter may set a O2 code if it leans it out enough works both ways rich or lean.