Extra Battery

Ron 'n Sue

Our '92 Winnebago Warrior 321RB has no generator. The compartment for it is virtually empty (we stash propane for our bbq in there. It used to store our hose, extension cords and RV Mat as well, but those have been moved to the new box on the back.

What we are wondering is, could we move the current coach battery to this compartment and twin it up with another? Would have to rewire, of course, but why not?

The fuse box, etc. is under the galley end of the drop-down couch. We'd need better access to that to wire up the batteries in their new location. Has anyone tried to remove the bed portion of that couch? Is it easy to move?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-4394-049976000 1288208167_thumb.jpg

post-4394-026755500 1288208318_thumb.jpg

No problem with making them secure, but venting - hey we'll have to look at that in addition to being able to get the wiring to the charger thingy under the front of the fold-down couch. Lots to think about I guess

Edited by Ron 'n Sue

I like your rear box. Which one is it? How did you attach it? Beefed up frame?

Thanks Henry

92 winnie

Our '92 Winnebago Warrior 321RB has no generator. The compartment for it is virtually empty (we stash propane for our bbq in there. It used to store our hose, extension cords and RV Mat as well, but those have been moved to the new box on the back.

What we are wondering is, could we move the current coach battery to this compartment and twin it up with another? Would have to rewire, of course, but why not?

The fuse box, etc. is under the galley end of the drop-down couch. We'd need better access to that to wire up the batteries in their new location. Has anyone tried to remove the bed portion of that couch? Is it easy to move?

Thanks

Henry,

We had a local welder make a mount consisting of two metal pieces - I should look at the darn thing to describe explicitly - that are bolted to the bumper. The are more for balancing that anything else. The main support is a piece of trailer hitch that fits into the existing one in the center and is fastened with a heavy pin and a large cotter pin. This makes the whole thing easily removed when not needed.

The box is by Rubbermaid. It's #40-3055-6. at Canadian Tire. It's called a 181L Action Pack and is quite a heavy duty box, but weighs less that 100 lbs full loaded with the mount.

Hope this answer gets to you.

Ron 'n Sue

Edited by Ron 'n Sue

An other consideration is a much larger cable to the two new batteries the stock #8 is a bit small for a full charge in both batteries. A #2 would help things along. The cable is not cheap but the results are worth it it's a pretty long run from the front to the back and your going to need all the juice you can get. The #8 from your charger/converter will probable be ok it's a short run and the #8 will be fine for 45 amps. Yeah venting is important they make hydrogen gas when they charge remember the Hindenburg?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Firewood? I keep some firewood there. My coach battery is actually just on the other side of the compartment wall. So I have the same plan, a second battery in the compartment. You can buy RV battery boxes that have a vent tube. They also have a hole that lets air in from the bottom. Anyhow my point is the battery needs to be in a protective box properly vented to the outside. The venting mechanism (for lead acid) should not be a shared space with other cargo. It really only takes one little itty bitty spark and KA-BLEWY.