GPS Navigation System Help Please

dayoff53

Hi!

The number one improvement I want to make to my 1992 Winnebago Warrior WT321RL is a GPS navigation system. My brother is about to install an Eclipse AVN726E in his - he got a good deal used on eBay and has had this model unit in another rig. The price scares me - he got a great deal at $600 including backup camera and satellite radio, but the wiring is a mess and will have to be replaced - installation will be a couple hundred at least - would cost $500 or more at a stereo shop. New, this system, installed, would be $2500 or more. This is outside my price range. I am thinking about just using a Garmin or similar, but am concerned that the overhanging sleeping compartment will interfere with satellite reception.

What in-dash units are folks using and what is your experience? Cost? Do you have a backup camera? Is it worth it?

What about portable units? Are you getting good reception? Can 60-year-old eyes see the little screen?

Hoping for a bunch of responses here to help me make a decision...

Hi!

The number one improvement I want to make to my 1992 Winnebago Warrior WT321RL is a GPS navigation system. My brother is about to install an Eclipse AVN726E in his - he got a good deal used on eBay and has had this model unit in another rig. The price scares me - he got a great deal at $600 including backup camera and satellite radio, but the wiring is a mess and will have to be replaced - installation will be a couple hundred at least - would cost $500 or more at a stereo shop. New, this system, installed, would be $2500 or more. This is outside my price range. I am thinking about just using a Garmin or similar, but am concerned that the overhanging sleeping compartment will interfere with satellite reception.

What in-dash units are folks using and what is your experience? Cost? Do you have a backup camera? Is it worth it?

What about portable units? Are you getting good reception? Can 60-year-old eyes see the little screen?

Hoping for a bunch of responses here to help me make a decision...

Hi, I have two suggestions:

First my wife and I have iPhones. I bought Tom-Tom for the iPhone and discovered it runs on a deactivated iPhone as well, which enabled me to use my older 3rd generation iPhone exclusively for GPS Naviagation, Car Audio Tunes, and a number of other RV navigation and travel aids (there are 10's of thousands of iPhone apps and many many apps for RV travelers to find you-name-it). However, the GPS and the connection to the audio system gets used the most. The iPhone just sits either on the dash board or in a holder that was made for the cup holder in your toyota cab on the dashboard. Perfect. The Tom-Tom app cost me $70 and is amazing.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-u-s-canada/id326075661?mt=8

Also, you can get a Garmin app (and magellan might have one too) for iPhone. If you're using Android ("gasp") then you may have other navigation apps, albeit not as many.

Second, we installed a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD system (for $350 on sale at amazon.com not long ago)... for which you can buy a $250 add on pioneer navigation system. We did not go for this, but you might consider it. Personally, I'd get the iPhone app.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P4200DVD-Double-DIN-Multimedia-Receiver/dp/B0038BM7F4

Finally, my dad is very happy with his el-cheapo chinese made no-name nag system... I think he paid like $100 for it. I could ask him where he got it, but it's made in china and I think you get what you pay for... it seemed sluggish to me and strange.

Don't know much about the gps stuff out there but something that could also interface (usb) with small PC seems like it would be nice!

As for back up cameras I purchased a color CCD Car Rear View Camera on eBay that has a 170 degree field of view. I can see the tail lights, way to the sides and rear. Here are a couple of links http://cgi.ebay.com/BOYO-VTL420-BAR-TYPE-SWIVEL-REAR-VIEW-CCD-CAR-CAMERA-/300372580015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef99d6af and http://cgi.ebay.com/AY-S660-170-ANGLE-CAR-REAR-VIEW-CAMERA-/170526176196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b426f3c4

The second does not state if its CCD, my guess is CMOS. CCD is far better in low light and clarity. For display I bought a Pyle View PLD70BT in dash stereo. http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-PLD70BT-7-TFT-DVD-CD-MP3-CAR-RECEIVER-BLUETOOTH-/230541233957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ad540f25

Its a DVD player. also plays mp3 data discs, bluetooth system for your phone and MP3 player. It has a usb connector for usb memory sticks. A slot for SD/MMC camera Cards, 7 inch touch screen and much more . Selling for under $200 on eBay. I set it up so I just throw a switch to turn on the backup camera. Honestly can never live without it now.

I wanted to share my backup solution. I used the Pyle 7" system.

http://www.amazon.com/PLCM7200-7-Inch-Mirror-Monitor-Rear-View/dp/B000E1PXES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288012657&sr=8-1

...which comes with one camera. I also bought a 2nd camera. The AVH-P4200DVD system also has an input for a backup camera as well, but I'm not using that for that purpose yet. The camera locations that I have so far are a left and right camera (one on the license plate and the other looking out through one of the rungs of the ladder... this has actually been handy because I can switch one or the other using the controls on the Pyle system. The camera's are NOT just for backup... I use them on the road to see what is behind me... so mine are point straight back. Pyle also sells a 'night-vision' system which looks interesting, but I haven't tried.

The wires go into my headliner up near my dome light, and the side vinyl post along the left side of the windsheild separates easily pulling it back using two plastic clips, then straight up to get it out.

One modification I elected to make: I opened the Pyle unit and soldered in longer video wires and longer power wires in order to make the connections under the dash-board in a better place. The wires that come with the unit along with the connector are just a bit short and you would end up with connectors in the side post. I simply opened up the unit and carefully clipped the existing wires leaving pigtails of about 3 inches, then I soldered in new video cables (using the video cables they supply... cut in half), and a length of red/black 18-gauge audio cable for power... red to +, black to -. Skip the green wire... don't use it, unless you only want this to work when you're in reverse. Just leave it unconnected. I also put the fuse inside the display unit.

I now power the camera off of the front battery and it is tied in with the ignition key. I also found a custom switch which fit the opening in my dashboards to the right of the steering wheel almost perfectly (I did have to dremel off just a hair along the top edge of the switches to make them insert all the way flush). A 2nd switch is used for auxillary/fog lights which I installed ... because I can. I used a switch with a yellow LED for fog lights and a switch with a green LED for the rear-view camera system power.

Here is the link for the switches: http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45-led

Pictures included for the switches (before and after)... sorry about the "flash"... I took these pictures at night.

post-3988-060776500 1288013971_thumb.jpg

post-3988-052982600 1288013985_thumb.jpg

I also must add, I like Gulfstream Greg's solution better... although it costs more it looks to be worth it. My solution for the switches might work for you however. A note about the cable, you'll need 25-feet stretching from under the dashboard (near the switches), along the driver's side door jam (there are a pair of rubber knockout's to get you out of the cab and under the RV just behind the driver's side door... look for them under your vehicle driver's side just behind the cab)... along the frame, and to the dual rear cameras. This is premium 25-foot cable that has the 75-ohms needed for your video (I know it says audio... doesn't matter... video is 75-ohms).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=2866&seq=1&format=2

Please note that this is 'dual' cable which supports two camera's on the back.

First my wife and I have iPhones...

Okay, I have to admit to being an anti-Apple sort of geek. I have owned an iPod Touch and I bought a MacBook for my wife - but I don't like Apple's philosophy of maintaining complete control of everything associated with their gadgets and I really don't like them limiting their cell phone service to AT&T. So, because of personal biases, I'm unlikely to go with an iPhone. Nonetheless, I have to admit the iPhone and iPod Touch are pretty amazing toys, as is the iPad.

I very well may go with a fancy Android phone - my current cell contract is up in February and I'm looking to upgrade to one of the biggest touch screen units. So, do you have any complaints about the GPS reception with the unit in your window or in the cup holder? I'm afraid that the cab-over will block the satellite signals. Also, I have a '92 Warrior and know that my cab-over extends about 6" farther to the front than my brother's '90 SeaBreeze 900 - what unit do you have?

For display I bought a Pyle View PLD70BT in dash stereo.

I like the look of that and have been seriously considering that kind of unit. But, since I also want GPS, I'm thinking about a similar unit that includes GPS, like the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT (available for less on eBay) or the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse AVN726E (also available on eBay). Both of these are very highly rated. Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

One final note: I wanted to say that the Pyle rear-view mirror backup solution has had the advantage that it is exactly where I expect to find it... rear-view actually on the rear-view mirror. The other Pyle system that Greg mentioned does look to be mounted "in-dash"... which means that you'll be looking down quite a bit... and if you're wanting to actually use the radio for the radio, then you're probably not going to be able to use the system for "rear-view" while driving. I travel with 3 screens; 1) the Pyle rear-view camera system... mounted on the rear-view mirror, 2) an iPhone GPS based Tomtom mounted in the cupholder or on the dashboard, and 3) the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD system... which I use for HD-radio and iPhone or iPod tunes down the road (I bought the HD attachment also on sale). I really think that if you have a smart phone and can get a GPS app for it, then you're ahead in several ways... it can be installed on multiple iPhones which you may own (I'm on my 3rd and two of them will run TomTom), and also since it lives in your pocket, you carry it to whatever vehicle you happen to be traveling in... no extra investment.

Okay, I have to admit to being an anti-Apple sort of geek. I have owned an iPod Touch and I bought a MacBook for my wife - but I don't like Apple's philosophy of maintaining complete control of everything associated with their gadgets and I really don't like them limiting their cell phone service to AT&T. So, because of personal biases, I'm unlikely to go with an iPhone. Nonetheless, I have to admit the iPhone and iPod Touch are pretty amazing toys, as is the iPad.

I very well may go with a fancy Android phone - my current cell contract is up in February and I'm looking to upgrade to one of the biggest touch screen units. So, do you have any complaints about the GPS reception with the unit in your window or in the cup holder? I'm afraid that the cab-over will block the satellite signals. Also, I have a '92 Warrior and know that my cab-over extends about 6" farther to the front than my brother's '90 SeaBreeze 900 - what unit do you have?

I just noticed your note about the Apple thing. I'm just the opposite (I also develop apps for iPhone in my spare time) but understand the feelings. As an engineer, I'll use whatever technology my boss wants me to use :) I'm equally comfy on PC or Mac or Linux... (another reason buy Apple computers... but I digress ha :) )

I love Android too. My buddy here at the office has an android and he loves it. I travel with a Verizon miFi which gives me tethering of up to 5 devices at once and 3G service over most everywhere I go in the U.S. More to your question about GPS reception, I always aquired a GPS signal (locked) within 30 seconds, and usually it didn't take any time at all, from the time I put my iPhone in the cupholder and turned it on. I did notice that the cab extension resulted in less signal than normal, but the iPhone always picked it up quickly. Sometimes in the city it lost signal when between large skyscrapers. I actually drove my Odyssey down Bourbon street in New Orleans a couple months ago... if you can imagine that. Didn't lose signal there, but did lose signal in and out of various tunnels.

I would think that you'd fare well using Android or iPhone. One last comment concerning yours about Apple's control. You're right... it's good and bad... but mostly good I believe. It keeps the quality of Apple products way on the plus side. There are lots of happy customers and few if any malicious attacks; attacks can be launched to be sure, but Apple is pretty responsive plugging holes, and they are now the biggest computer manufacture in the world if you count iPads.

I'll try to get a picture of all three screens at once... but it just snowed this morning... days are currently pretty dim here in Salt Lake City. Wave goodbye to summer.

GPS cup holder mounting for iPhone... should work with Android too I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-TuneDok-Cupholder-iPod-Black/dp/B000A3X2GQ

if you can find one. Mine is white.

Lament: Losing a cup holder. Cup holders are precious. I hated to lose this one in my Odyssey, but after installing the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD just below it (which swings out automatically just a bit for better viewing), it became apparent that I would definitely NOT be using that particular cup holder for anything holding liquid right over my new precious audio system! Therefore, using it for a GPS holder turned out to be the perfect use for this left-over appendage.

We bought a console organizer from Walmart... fit perfectly and looks like it was made for the toyota. Here it is at Amazon, but it was in stock at all Walmarts just 2 months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/TSI-Products-54215-Clutter-Catcher/dp/B000WHACHC/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1288019356&sr=1-6

The only downside is that it removes the place where you might put your foot as you're moving from the front to the rear of the RV. We love ours.

I also found a custom switch which fit the opening in my dashboards to the right of the steering wheel almost perfectly (I did have to dremel off just a hair along the top edge of the switches to make them insert all the way flush). A 2nd switch is used for auxillary/fog lights which I installed ... because I can. I used a switch with a yellow LED for fog lights and a switch with a green LED for the rear-view camera system power.

Here is the link for the switches: http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45-led

Those switches look great! What year is your Toyota?

Interesting stuff in this thread. As a newbie to the world of Ipods/Iphones, I have a question. Does the 3d generation ipod touch have the gps capabilities of the Iphone you guys talk about? Does the Tom Tom program have any coverage outside of the US into Mexico?

I'll try to get a picture of all three screens at once... but it just snowed this morning... days are currently pretty dim here in Salt Lake City. Wave goodbye to summer.

I'm in Boise - no snow here, but it has been raining pretty good the last couple days. Unfortunately, I found water dripping in around my roof A/C - I got a tarp over it temporarily, but I have to get that fixed this week.

Yes, I understand all the advantages of Apple's closed system - and don't disagree with them - but I've been playing with PCs since ... well, for a very long time and I'm just more comfortable with them. I've used several flavors of Linux, but generally come back to Windows (Win7 is a superb operating system, IMHO). The main reason I will probably go with Android is that I have not been very satisfied with AT&T's coverage or customer service (though it has been quite a few years since I used them). As you know, in the west you can get a long way from civilization and I find that Verizon's coverage is a lot better when you get in the hinterlands.

Can you get an external GPS antenna for an iPhone or Android phone and mount it on the roof? I don't know enough about these toys to have any idea what kind of accessories are available.

Those switches look great! What year is your Toyota?

1989. I found the switches on one of the Toyota truck websites. They seem to fit lots of Toyota pick ups and 4-runners... I looked at my 2004 Sienna and they're still using the same size cutouts so these switches are pretty generic. I did have to dremel off about 1/32" off the top but that was cake.

...in the west you can get a long way from civilization and I find that Verizon's coverage is a lot better when you get in the hinterlands.

Can you get an external GPS antenna for an iPhone or Android phone and mount it on the roof? I don't know enough about these toys to have any idea what kind of accessories are available.

I agree AT&T sucks. iPhone rumors have it as a Verizon version starting the beginning of next year. I'm glad Android is out there. Apple needs the competition to keep them innovating. I can only speak to the iPhone. No, there is no external antenna and no way to do it. However, my experience has been that it really just seems to work in my odyssey. Here is a picture of my rig the day I bought it. I doubt you'd have any problem with GPS reception, most GPS units now days have better reception than the ones that were out even 5 years ago... you can receive inside buildings for the most part. The receivers are much more sensitive now.

post-3988-061330700 1288020072_thumb.jpg

Interesting stuff in this thread. As a newbie to the world of Ipods/Iphones, I have a question. Does the 3d generation ipod touch have the gps capabilities of the Iphone you guys talk about? Does the Tom Tom program have any coverage outside of the US into Mexico?

For iPod, there is apparently an external GPS kit you can buy to make it work. See the details in the description of the link below. Also notice that this is the USA/Mexico version. There may be a north America version, I'm not sure that includes USA/Mexico/Canada. You can also buy Europe and other locations. The USA/Canada version sucks up 1.6-Gigabytes of space (maybe a bit less).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-u-s-mexico/id355682375?mt=8

For your reference, this is what you'd need for TomTom on an iPod (I think you need a 3rd generation iPod touch)... I think you can find this cheaper than buying from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TY168LL/A

and...

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Car-Kit-iPod-Touch/dp/B003DQPE40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288020744&sr=8-1

I don't know how well this solution works. I'd look at the reviews on Apple and Amazon and other... Still seems rather inexpensive however if you already have the iPod Touch.

Here is a picture of my rig the day I bought it.

Nice looking rig! Other than the wind wings, the cab looks pretty much the same as my '92 Warrior based on a '91 truck.

Hey, how about using an iPad for a nav system? It's Apple, so I don't know too much about it, but it has a big, clear touch screen. The 3G iPad should be ready to go and you can get this dongle for the WiFi version. If you could find someplace to put this where you could see it and it wasn't too much in the way, it sure would give a visible display!

Hey, how about using an iPad for a nav system? It's Apple, so I don't know too much about it, but it has a big, clear touch screen. The 3G iPad should be ready to go and you can get this dongle for the WiFi version. If you could find someplace to put this where you could see it and it wasn't too much in the way, it sure would give a visible display!

Well, no. I would not consider an iPad. It does not have a sunlight visible screen. I have one and in bright light it really lacks. The iPhone and iPods have a great screen for sunlight, but not the iPad. The only thing that might save you would be that in a Toyota RV, you're in the shade.

Here is a related thread on the subject:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa;jsessionid=BCFE57BC14E40513AFCACBF6BA337AED.node0?messageID=11479183

We DO use our iPad in the front seat, with the Verizon miFi as a computer terminal... and it works great... so maybe the sunlight thing wouldn't be too bad. Just don't let the sun shine on it.

I guess people are doing it...

http://www.gpsreview.net/ipad-gps-navigation-preview/

You still would need to add the GPS receivers, and an extension cable to get to the TomTom GPS dock. iPad comes with "assisted GPS" but that is not accurate and works off of cell-towers and wifi stations. Not good enough for the road.

I love your dongle solution:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/tiny-dock-dongle-adds-gps-to-ipad-ipod-touch/

I'll have to nab one of those maybe someday. Interesting side note; using skype, I'm able to make phone calls on my iPad. Biggest phone you ever did see. :)

I have two GPS systems the newest is a Garmin 255w I'm 64 and can see it I found it did take awhile to put it at the proper distance though! The other one is what Greg described I have a Tough Book computer(ex cop car unit) and Delorme software that came with a USB puck. I put the puck in the front overhead vent and it works great. There are plenty of small cheap computers out there now brand new used mostly as internet computers that would not take up a lot of room up front. I like the Delorme software because it is quite agile unlike the Garmin software. That said the Garmin can't be beat as a point and shoot it will get you where you want to be with no problem and is very fast some thing you can stick right on the glass. I agree with the guys and a back up camera is gives you a peace of mind going backwards. If you decide on a camera the small laptop can display a camera with a composite video plug in device so you could do it all with a small computer and still surf the internet. So many ideals and not enough time! Hope you don't get lost in the mean time.

So many ideals and not enough time! Hope you don't get lost in the mean time.

I've been trying to decide on a personalized plate for the Warrior. My favorite was IAMLOST, but my lovely bride vetoed it...

I bought a GPS that has an external antenna jack. The antenna is a little flat square device. I ordered it on the net. I glued it to the roof. Now I get a strong GPS signal all the time.

I like the look of that and have been seriously considering that kind of unit. But, since I also want GPS, I'm thinking about a similar unit that includes GPS, like the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT (available for less on eBay) or the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse AVN726E (also available on eBay). Both of these are very highly rated. Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

There is a Pyle with GPS in it I believe.

One final note: I wanted to say that the Pyle rear-view mirror backup solution has had the advantage that it is exactly where I expect to find it... rear-view actually on the rear-view mirror. The other Pyle system that Greg mentioned does look to be mounted "in-dash"... which means that you'll be looking down quite a bit... and if you're wanting to actually use the radio for the radio, then you're probably not going to be able to use the system for "rear-view" while driving. I travel with 3 screens; 1) the Pyle rear-view camera system... mounted on the rear-view mirror, 2) an iPhone GPS based Tomtom mounted in the cupholder or on the dashboard, and 3) the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD system... which I use for HD-radio and iPhone or iPod tunes down the road (I bought the HD attachment also on sale). I really think that if you have a smart phone and can get a GPS app for it, then you're ahead in several ways... it can be installed on multiple iPhones which you may own (I'm on my 3rd and two of them will run TomTom), and also since it lives in your pocket, you carry it to whatever vehicle you happen to be traveling in... no extra investment.

When switching to rear camera stereo audio continues. It just changes the screen to video. I used whats called Siamese cable for the camera hookup. It consists of 75 ohm coax and a pair of 16 gauge red and black power leads. When I flip on the switch power is on to the camera and that also signals the pyle to switch to rear camera. Besides the mirror being really really small for a video image my mirror is useless as a rear view mirror as I can not see the road through the rear window. I also flip on the camera to see if someone is right close to me when doing lane changes. Otherwise the camera is usually off when going down the road. I am more concerned about whats in front of me at 65 mph than behind. The 170 degree camera is mounted high on the back looking down mostly but easily sees several hundred feet back and several feet to the side. As I said I can see my tail lights and beyond. Having the camera high gives me a better perspective on how close I am to something when backing up. I can actually see the space distance between my bumper and what ever I am trying not to hit.

For what it's worth, I've got a little Garmin Nuvi 255W that I bought refurbished for $70 and it's done me well south from Toronto, Canada all the way to Mississippi so far without a hiccup. I've got it mounted on the windshield with the suction mount (which was included) and haven't had any problems with interference due to the overhanging sleeping area.

Having the camera high gives me a better perspective on how close I am to something when backing up. I can actually see the space distance between my bumper and what ever I am trying not to hit.

Greg I think I saw an installation "how I did it" post with the camera up high (replacing the center running light)... was that yours? I thought it was clever and I can see how the downward view of the tail end would be really nice to have. For that reason I'm considering a 3rd wide-angle camera in about that location aimed straight down but attached to my pioneer AVH-P4200DVD system backup camera input... which would operate exactly as you say... on only when I'm in reverse. The upper corners of the vehicle are visible in the side mirrors. I have noticed that passing semi trucks put lots of wind pressure on my vehicle when they pass, and I like to have the camera view while driving to help give me advance notice that I'm about to be blown to the right, then sucked to the left as the vehicle passes.

A general note about GPS: when it comes to GPS, I think there are many options. In the end, it really comes down to the accuracy of the database and also the user interface... the bigger companies (garmin, magellen, tomtom) have regular updates and are likely to be around for awhile. They also all offer expanded services if desired which can be handy in high-traffic area's. As far as reception is concerned, the gps constellation has been upgraded a bit at a time and the orbital transmitters are actually better than ever, but more than this, the GPS portable systems of 5 years ago do not hold a candle to the newer systems for the reason that the embedded receivers are now capable of detecting signals "out of the noise" due to amplifiers which can discriminate weak signals through the application of -160dB gain (as opposed to only -120db not long ago). This means two things: 1) much faster 'lock' and/or 2) reception inside some buildings and places where gps was previously not possible.

As far as reception is concerned, the gps constellation has been upgraded a bit at a time and the orbital transmitters are actually better than ever, but more than this, the GPS portable systems of 5 years ago do not hold a candle to the newer systems for the reason that the embedded receivers are now capable of detecting signals "out of the noise" due to amplifiers which can discriminate weak signals through the application of -160dB gain (as opposed to only -120db not long ago). This means two things: 1) much faster 'lock' and/or 2) reception inside some buildings and places where gps was previously not possible.

Thank you! I am becoming more confident that a portable GPS device will work for me, at least in the short run. I want a camera system sometime and, when I get around to that, I will again look into the possibility of getting in-dash GPS as part of the system.

Greg I think I saw an installation "how I did it" post with the camera up high (replacing the center running light)... was that yours? I thought it was clever and I can see how the downward view of the tail end would be really nice to have. For that reason I'm considering a 3rd wide-angle camera in about that location aimed straight down but attached to my pioneer AVH-P4200DVD system backup camera input... which would operate exactly as you say... on only when I'm in reverse.

No, that was not mine. I mounted under the running lights. Remember you will have cable and power passing through the bulkhead there also so plan to have the wires concealed somehow.

I manually switch mine on or off. Not via the reverse (yet). You can st them up so that the reverse lights supply the power when in reverse. I tried that but the power to the lights was not enough and sometimes the camera would go haywire besides I turn the camera on all the time when driving forward. I am also getting ready to install some 55 watt reverse lights. Everything will be powered by a couple of relays so that in reverse the camera comes on and also be able to manually activate the camera with out having the lights come on. I have the schematic in my head but basically consists of two relays. Relay #1 (a double pole) powers the light and camera, and relay#2 will power just the camera. On relay #1 the two source poles are bridged so both are powered, on the load side, one pole connects to the lights, the other to the camera. That way when the camera is manually activated via relay #2 relay #1 will be open and no power will go to the lights. Hope that made sense.

No, that was not mine. I mounted under the running lights. Remember you will have cable and power passing through the bulkhead there also so plan to have the wires concealed somehow.

I manually switch mine on or off. Not via the reverse (yet). You can st them up so that the reverse lights supply the power when in reverse. I tried that but the power to the lights was not enough and sometimes the camera would go haywire besides I turn the camera on all the time when driving forward. I am also getting ready to install some 55 watt reverse lights. Everything will be powered by a couple of relays so that in reverse the camera comes on and also be able to manually activate the camera with out having the lights come on. I have the schematic in my head but basically consists of two relays. Relay #1 (a double pole) powers the light and camera, and relay#2 will power just the camera. On relay #1 the two source poles are bridged so both are powered, on the load side, one pole connects to the lights, the other to the camera. That way when the camera is manually activated via relay #2 relay #1 will be open and no power will go to the lights. Hope that made sense.

Right on. I believe I understand; you'd like to wire the Lamp as a function of relay 1, and the Camera as a function of relay 1 OR relay 2... therefore you get camera with or without lights. Cool idea. I'd be tempted to decouple the two features (lights versus backup camera) since I can think of situations where I'd like one or the other or both... There are times when you just want to light the back of the vehicle for example (in my case, spare gas, spare tire, ladder surfing, or trunk monkey deployment)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2867428821895024141#

post-3988-014045900 1288159224_thumb.jpg

I'd be tempted to decouple the two features (lights versus backup camera) since I can think of situations where I'd like one or the other or both... There are times when you just want to light the back of the vehicle for example (in my case, spare gas, spare tire, ladder surfing, or trunk monkey deployment)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2867428821895024141#

Yes I completely forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. Believe it or not the switch is already in the dash next to my "camera on switch" waiting for wire.

That is a feature I have always had on my 4x4's. I did not add all the details to the original description, sorry everyone. The OEM lights will also be powered from relay #1 and their original power is what energizes the coil of relay #1 ( the power to the OEM lights is moved from the lights and to the supply side of relay #1) so when in reverse gear they and the new 55 watters and camera come on. A second switch (the first switch is for the camera and relay#2) also supplies power to the #1 coil. Here is some relay 101 for those trying to figure out what the H#$* I am talking about. A relay typically has 6 connections. Two are for power that activates the relay (the coil) it is positive and negative. The other 4 connections (internal contacts) are in relative terms switches. When you apply power to the coil it energizes the coil and causes the other internal contacts (connections) to close just like if you flip a switch. I will draw up a schematic which will make it easier to follow for everyone.

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 350. Basically I never look at the screen for directions. I just listen to the cute Aussie woman 'telling me where to go', just like in real life. (Sometimes it's quiter amusing at how the computer generated voice mangles French street names.)

I've never mounted mine to the screen. I just drive with it sitting on my lap. I don't want the hassle of remembering to remove it to stop it being stolen, plus the screen mount (and even the round mark from the suction mount) is a signal to thieves that there's probably a GPS inside waiting to be stolen.