My Airbags Have Exploded & I Can't Get Up

bestbowl

I blew my rear suspension airbags just after I bought my 87 Dolphin last year and I have not been able fix the situation. The airbags installed seem to be OEM/ stock and they seem to have given at least 6 to 8 inches of lift/ support when they were functioning. They are "Firestone Airsleeve 4Q86" or possibly 4086 which apparently are no longer available.

The air bag kits suggested on Ebay, on this forum and other places are either Airlift 57113 or FIrestone 2115. Both of these kits offer only 4 inches of lift or less. Obviously this is not adequate as the current air bags installed offer at least 5 inches even popped and even with this I am scraping like oooo and destroying the Dolphin.

Anyone know of any ideas on how to lift this thing 8 inches or more. I have bought and returned Super Springs (sway bar prevents installation) and bought and returned the Airlift kits and brought the thing to 5 different tire and suspension shops and no one has any idea on what to do.

I am at a total loss and bottoming out daily... Help me!

Unless you plan to redesign your rear suspension, the air springs are not designed to provide the correct ride height. This is the function of the leaf springs, with the air springs, in many cases supplied as an option, only meant to 'fine tune'.

It sounds like you need to buy new rear leaf springs or have the existing ones re-arched. Once that's sorted out, you can figure out how to add the air springs back into your 'system'. From what you've said, you might have to buy and install a new kit.

That's the way it sounds to me, anyway.

You might find some useful information here:-

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/pdf/2010%20Application%20Guide.pdf

and here:-

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/pdfs/Aftermarket/AftCat.pdf

Those links you sent me are brilliant. They are exactly the air bags I have. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out which exact one because for some reason they seemed to have changed the part number. I did a PDF search for mine (4086 or 4q86) and nothing came up. Any idea on which of those they used on the 87 Dolphin?

Thanks again

Sorry, I'm not certain. Probably the safest way to check what you have now would be to remove one and measure the configuration of the end plates.

I'm not sure if your kit is the 2115, but if it is i used air spring #6781.

http://www.suspensio...pc=pricegrabber

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B001P2LAH4

Or it might be an 1130 in which case you're looking for a #6873.

Source:- http://www.fsip.com/...ion%20Guide.pdf (pg 29-30)

Notice the difference between the listed 'Ride Height' and fully extended height.

Having looked at the mounting configuration of the two, they both appear to be the same so I quite honestly don't know what the difference is. You might have to place a call to Firestone to ask!

Yeah, Firestone is a big help. I have called them several times throughout the year long ordeal and spoken with technicians, sales reps and managers. They all say the same thing; "Firestone does not produce air bags for your application sir..." Great huh?

Anyway, they are not the double convoluted type. They are the type featured mostly on the first two links you sent. The huge single type with the big steel plate on the bottom. The problem is they are "mounted" by a weld on both top and bottom so once they're out they're out. So I am screwed if I cannot figure this thing out before hand. Still tryin'...

Well, maybe you should just bit the bullet and buy a whole new 2115 kit and start from scratch.It sounds like your required brackets might be FUBAR anyway.

Perhaps a call to these guys might be more fruitful:-

http://www.truckspring.com/suspension-parts/firestone-air-bags/light-duty-truck/tapered-sleeve/110-70-air-springs.aspx

• 1 year later...

Unless you plan to redesign your rear suspension, the air springs are not designed to provide the correct ride height. This is the function of the leaf springs, with the air springs, in many cases supplied as an option, only meant to 'fine tune'.

It sounds like you need to buy new rear leaf springs or have the existing ones re-arched. Once that's sorted out, you can figure out how to add the air springs back into your 'system'. From what you've said, you might have to buy and install a new kit.

Derek is most certainly correct here. The problem is not with your air springs, the problem is with your leaf springs. They are shot. Also your coach could be very overloaded.

I had the same problem on my '92 Itaska. I got a couple quotes to add additional springs but decided for what they wanted ($750-$1,200) I would do it my self. I'm glad I did. (not for the faint of heart) The ride height is now where is was with the air springs pumped to 90PSI. (+4") Plus I have the added benefits of NO SWAY and no maintenance of air bags. If you stop and think about it, riding on air springs is the equivalent of jacking your rear end up on balloons. The rear end can sway about and the constant attention required to correct this behavior is very tiring for the driver.

JMHO

I would also add Bilstein shocks in there while you got her tore apart... I did and boy oh boy do they ever make for a smooth and quiet stable ride. the change in ride was sooooo noticable with those. I'm definitely going to have my mech slap some in the front this winter when I get my front hubs swapped out.

• 2 weeks later...

Shops must vary tremendously in their charges for leaf spring work. Twoblocked (above) mentions doing the work himself because a shop wanted $700-1200. I had a shop add an extra leaf on both sides of my 87 Dolphin during the summer of 2010. They fabricated new center bolts and u-bolts to the axle and put in all new bushings. I got about 1-1/2 to inches lift at the axle and 3 to 4 inches lift at the rear bumper. Cost was $440. I'm happy and don't have airbags.