Can I add a 12v element to a dometic?

JohnW

If not, how long does a frig run on gas. I have an 18 foot sunrader and figure I have a 20lb tank? Going camping for a week and want to know how long I can expect the fridge to run. I won't be doing too much gas cooking or using heat so all the gas would go toward the fridge.

Thanks!

Hi,

Don't know about adding a 12v element, but I've run the refrigerator and water heater continuously, used the stove regularly, and even run the furnace a bit on a week long trip in my 18' Sunrader and only used about half the tank of propane.

Running the refrigerator on 12v will run the battery down pretty quick. I only use the 12v option while I'm driving. Sounds like some folks leave it on propane then too.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

If not, how long does a frig run on gas. I have an 18 foot sunrader and figure I have a 20lb tank? Going camping for a week and want to know how long I can expect the fridge to run. I won't be doing too much gas cooking or using heat so all the gas would go toward the fridge.

Thanks!

The fridge won't use enough gas to notice in a month. The only thing you need to remember is TURN IT OFF when you fill the gas tank same goes for the water heater.

The heater chamber would need to have a second holding tube for the 12 vdc element and you also need the electrical stuff for the thermostat and mode selector. In other words its not as simple as just adding the element. Its possible that you just can not add the electrical control parts but would have to swap out the whole assembly. Also you can only run on 12vdc with the engine running at a substantial rpm as the element draws a considerable amperage. I ran my previous one on 12dc when on the road but not parked. I set the system up with a remote relay connected to the dash so that I could shut it down when in bumper to bumper traffic.

The 12v element is meant only to maintain the fridge after it is running steady on gas or 110v. It was never meant to start the fridge. The chemical process keeps running for a good while after the fridge is turned off so you can keep it off for a while.I leave it off for a eight hour trip without a problem.

A gallon of propane is 91,600 Btu's of energy. The fridge uses about 1,000 Btu's/hour at full on. However, it usually is in pilot mode most of the time. If the coils are well vented or you install a small computer fan to vent them, it will sip even less propane. One thing to do to also help is to park so that the sun shines on the other side of the motor home to keep the fridge even cooler.