6 Miles Per Gallon Dolphin?

bestbowl

Is there any reason that a newly tuned-up & timed 4-cylinder 22 re efi Dolphin with 50,000 miles, only 2 passengers & new/inflated tires would get 6 miles per gallon on the highway (although it is a pretty hilly highway) with a max of 12 or 13 miles per gallon on flat highways? I always read 14-18 miles per gallon when reading Dolphin adds. 18 may be exaggerating but 6 is ridiculous. I might as well get a class-A 40 foot 10 cylinder diesel... It would probably get twice the milage that the Dolphin is getting...

Is there any reason that a newly tuned-up & timed 4-cylinder 22 re efi Dolphin with 50,000 miles, only 2 passengers & new/inflated tires would get 6 miles per gallon on the highway (although it is a pretty hilly highway) with a max of 12 or 13 miles per gallon on flat highways? I always read 14-18 miles per gallon when reading Dolphin adds. 18 may be exaggerating but 6 is ridiculous. I might as well get a class-A 40 foot 10 cylinder diesel... It would probably get twice the milage that the Dolphin is getting...

Need to investiage further ... I think most people here will agree with me that The MH burns most gas at intersate speed (60-65mph) and you will get the best mileage running at 50-55mph. So for me, going up hill would actually have a better mileage. I have no idea why you got 6mpg on hilly roads. I have a 87 Dolphin with 22RE EFI engine.

13/14 at 60/65 is about right but it sounds like you need to have some one have a close look at things like fuel pressure, restricted exhaust and the like, seem to have plenty of power? (I guess that did not sound right I mean for what it is). If you have your foot to it going up hill that does not help but not that big a hit.

You may want to check to see if the rear brakes are dragging, but be

careful, if they are dragging they will be extremely hot.

I had a shop "do me a favor" last year while I was getting some spring

work done, they stated that the rear brakes needed adjusting and they

adjusted them. It seemed to drive okay on the way home and my wife was

following me, a few miles down the road she stated that a little smoke

was coming from the rear end. The brakes were hot (would vaporize water).

Dennis...

You may want to check to see if the rear brakes are dragging, but be

careful, if they are dragging they will be extremely hot.

I had a shop "do me a favor" last year while I was getting some spring

work done, they stated that the rear brakes needed adjusting and they

adjusted them. It seemed to drive okay on the way home and my wife was

following me, a few miles down the road she stated that a little smoke

was coming from the rear end. The brakes were hot (would vaporize water).

Dennis...

I will get the brakes checked and/or check for heat.

13/14 at 60/65 is about right but it sounds like you need to have some one have a close look at things like fuel pressure, restricted exhaust and the like, seem to have plenty of power? (I guess that did not sound right I mean for what it is). If you have your foot to it going up hill that does not help but not that big a hit.

She'll only do 60/65 on extremely flat highway and usually has to kick down into 3rd (automatic) to do it. The other thing I noticed is she kicks down into 3rd whenever I try to sustain anything over 55 even on flat highway (well, as flat as California highways get that is).

I usually cannot go for more than a few miles/minutes at 60/65 without it kicking down. Usually it happens every time I try to get above 55 though. Sometimes she'll stay in 3rd for 10 or 20 miles at a time even on nearly flat highway then shift back to 4th as soon as the highway starts to decline. Is this normal?

She'll only do 60/65 on extremely flat highway and usually has to kick down into 3rd (automatic) to do it. The other thing I noticed is she kicks down into 3rd whenever I try to sustain anything over 55 even on flat highway (well, as flat as California highways get that is).

I usually cannot go for more than a few miles/minutes at 60/65 without it kicking down. Usually it happens every time I try to get above 55 though. Sometimes she'll stay in 3rd for 10 or 20 miles at a time even on nearly flat highway then shift back to 4th as soon as the highway starts to decline. Is this normal?

The auto trans only has 3 gears and overdrive. Its not recomended to use overdrive with the 4 cycls because of transmission overheating. So if I am reading your drscription correctly what you think is 4th gear is actually overdrive.

Why is OD not considered a "gear"? What makes it different other than it's ratio?

If your rear brakes were dragging bad enough to deliver that bad a mileage, you'd surely notice the smell along with smoke.

I am guessing you have something going on in the fuel system. Possibly a bad O2 sensor which will cause it to run in it's default rich condition.

It either has a running problem or the cable is not adjusted properly. You should be able to do 70 + flat out in 3rd if you dare. Get some one to check the manifold vacuum and see what it does I think you may have a plugged cat it would explain the lack of power and poor mileage.

I would immediately check the fuel line that connects to the rear end of the fuel rail. After installing a new head that was one of the few hoses I did not replace. Luckily I caught the problem soon prior to hitting the road! Do yourself and family a favor and climb underneath and inspect all connections. And keep in mind the crush washers on the fuel linesare designed for one time use only. Turn the key to engage the fuel pump and have a look.

And if the 02 sensor is old than without a doubt pop a new one in. Minus the cost of the tool to pull the old one it's only like twenty bucks ($10 for the tool).

And if the 02 sensor is old than without a doubt pop a new one in. Minus the cost of the tool to pull the old one it's only like twenty bucks ($10 for the tool).

Huh? Mine was considerably more expensive. Way more.

As for catalytic converters, Toyota will sell you one for around $400 just for the cat so go to a muffler shop and have them put one on for allot less. Don't buy an after market bolt in model as most have reduced pipe diameter size inside. If you do opt to buy an after market bolt in cat carefully compare it with your original and look at the inlet and outlet sizes deep inside and make sure they are not reduced. You can purchase aftermarket cats and have a muffler shop weld them in for you. I bought a bolt in replacement for my (past) turbo 22r. My first trip gas mileage dropped and I had less horsepower. I pulled the cat off and realized the inside had reduced diameter. I went back to the store with it in hand and complained. I was told that the new modern cats were more efficient and so being necked down would be OK. What a bunch of horse pucky. Because I used it I could not return it. It sits in my shed now. For the turbo engine I went with 2.5 inch exhaust all the way from the turbo to the tail with a high flow cat and muffler, wow what a difference, felt like 25 horsepower or more gain. That was a turbo engine, not sure if larger exhaust would benefit or hinder a stock 22r.

The only way to tell if a cat is blocked is take it off, shine a light in one end and see if you can see light through the other side. Getting them off sometimes is all the fun! So beware it might not be easy.

As far as overdrive, I guess you could consider it a 4th gear. The problem with the 4 cyl automatics is that the torque converter is not a locking type. So when using OD the converter is always slipping creating friction and heat. There are many topics on the subject here so do a search and or browse through old topics for more info on using OD. I don't believe Toyota calls OD 4th gear, they call it Over Drive.