Installing laminate in a dolphin

knewell

Dolphin owners, I'm thinking about installing some laminate throughout my RV. I have some specific questions for anybody that has done it:

1) How did you do it in the bathroom around the toilet?

2) What did you do with the captains chair (if you had one)?

3) what about where the tables go into the floor? Did you place the metal piece on top of the laminate or carve the laminate around it?

4) How did you do the stairs... anything special?

5) Did you put some quarter round for trim? or did you use something else?

Well that's a start for now. If you have any pictures I would love to see them!

Nobody can help me on this??

traffic here is kind of slow sometimes. ask this question at the yahoo group and you'll get a bunch of answers.

i am going to be putting laminate or possibly solid wood in my Odyssey and I will likely use 1/4 round.

as for the bath? I'd stay away from laminate. go with vinyl. put down an oak threshold as a transition between the two.

Haven't done it myself, yet. I'd be careful about having any loads concentrated on laminate by things like table legs and chairs. I'd try and spread it somehow.

Another thing that rarely seems to be mentioned when people talk about installing in RVs is the foam pad designed to go down first. I'm wondering if most skip it in RVs.

Lots of other info out there, though not Toyota specific.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=laminate+floor+installation+rv&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I installed laminate in my dolphin. It's nice I guess, everyone gives nice compliments about it. I am bad about getting pics up, but maybe tomorrow I will un-bury it from the backyard and take some pics. I carpeted the stairs to match the cab, and my bathroom is the original shower floor material. I did use quarter round for some of the trim, and flat decorative moulding for part of the trim. Sounds weird to use two different trims, but there were reasons to do so. I also deleted the main table, so I'm no help with that part.

Put laminate in mine after 4 months I took it out and put carpet back in. Two things that bothered me, it "walks" (maybe too much padding) and is cold on bare feet! The new carpet installed (by a pro) was a good bit less then I payed for the laminate and trim. To each their own but I like the carpet much better and it really isn't any harder to clean.

We installed composite flooring about 3 years ago and it is great, super easy to

clean the floor (use a broom, then follow up with a wet towel). The flooring was 1/8

inch thick and is designed to be laid right on top of carpet. We found the flooring

at Lowes.

1) How did you do it in the bathroom around the toilet? We laid the floor around the toilet, but did have about a half inch gap.

2) What did you do with the captains chair (if you had one)? We had one barrel chair that was not bolted down, we ended up having to put rubber caps on the legs to prevent the chair from sliding across the floor.

3) what about where the tables go into the floor? Did you place the metal piece on top of the laminate or carve the laminate around it? We had to cut a circluar hole through the flooring.

4) How did you do the stairs... anything special? We did not do the stairs, we left it as carpet.

5) Did you put some quarter round for trim? or did you use something else? We used quarter round trim in about half of the area. Also used a metal strip to secure the first board where it mets the cab area.

Dennis

1990 Odyssey

Our Dog and our Bare Feet on cold mornings prefer carpet. I put vinyl tiles in our Sunrader because of the dog (long hair brings in a ton of stuff), easier to sweep out ya know. But the dog really likes the carpet in the new rig when zooming down the road. Eventually we will replace it with some short nap carpet like in hotel rooms.

That looks really nice. I was thinking about laying the floor length wise and not width wise. Anyway, you just laid it right over the carpet... any problems with that? That seems like the super easy way to do business. Then if you don't like it in the future, juct pull it out and you're back to normal. Anything you would have done different?

• 3 weeks later...

Dolphin owners, I'm thinking about installing some laminate throughout my RV. I have some specific questions for anybody that has done it:

1) How did you do it in the bathroom around the toilet?

2) What did you do with the captains chair (if you had one)?

3) what about where the tables go into the floor? Did you place the metal piece on top of the laminate or carve the laminate around it?

4) How did you do the stairs... anything special?

5) Did you put some quarter round for trim? or did you use something else?

Well that's a start for now. If you have any pictures I would love to see them!

1-My bathroom is separate so I did not have to deal with that....

2-N/A

3-cut the hole and placed the metal piece back in.

4-I used a piece of laminate flooring as the toe kick and secured it with gorilla glue. Wedged a piece of wood up against it until it dried and it has not moved. the molding i attached on the top step connecting it to the floor was a 90 degree oak that stained to match and that also helps hold it in. It's nailed to the subfloor in the gap between the riser and floor so the laminate can still move.

5-quarter round trim and even smaller trim under the cabinet doors that are near the floor. on those I simply hot glued them in to get them right and tac in with a couple of brads.

I agree with the cold aspect but i throw down a runner. I know, why put down wood and use a runner? I like the idea of throwing out the runner once it gets too dirt to clean and picking up a fresh color or pattern. To me carpet is like a pair of socks you cannot wash, and only shake off once and a while and keep walking...my 2 cents.....oh I also made the new cushion covers like fitted sheets so I can toss them in the wash ever once in a while...I'm a bit of a freak about material that cannot be removed for cleaning.

Edited by JohnW