I have this 85' (or 86') Toyota Sunrader. Just bought it, and am super excited about it, it's my first RV. I am now figuring out that I may or may not have this risky axle I am hearing about on the forum. Can someone look at this picture and tell me which I have, and what the next steps are for a safe ride?

Thanks!!!

Marcus

P.S. The Axle FAQ is very helpful!! Thanks!post-3836-12742289337605_thumb.jpgpost-3836-12742289438865_thumb.jpg

Marcus,

That looks like the pre-full-floating axle on a very nice Sunrader. Some of those axles broke which resulted in the NHTSA recall.

Interestingly enough my '86 Sunrader came with the full-floating axle and it broke!

How many miles on your Sunrader?

fsprandy

I have this 85' (or 86') Toyota Sunrader. Just bought it, and am super excited about it, it's my first RV. I am now figuring out that I may or may not have this risky axle I am hearing about on the forum. Can someone look at this picture and tell me which I have, and what the next steps are for a safe ride?

Thanks!!!

Marcus

P.S. The Axle FAQ is very helpful!! Thanks!post-3836-12742289337605_thumb.jpgpost-3836-12742289438865_thumb.jpg

That's the 1/2 ton rear and you have a full size MH very risky. Your MH loaded can weight as much as 6,000 pounds.

Sorry but that's the bad axle! Here's a good one! (for a great price!)

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-1ton-Dually-AXLE-Drum-Drum-/330434806182?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cef7301a6>

Randy

Thanks!!!

Marcus

Thanks guys! You are all so helpful. I have a lot of learning to do.

I did go ahead and buy that axel on Ebay, in fact I was already checking that out...What a deal. I am getting that puppy installed on Friday. I will sure feel a lot better about big road trips in the RV at that point.

The Sunrader has 64-XXX miles on it. I actually talked the seller of it down from $4800 to $1500!!! I don't know how but I did...

It already had 4 new tires, I had to buy two. Checked out the RV components (Shower, toilet, stove oven, furnace, refer) and they all work, except i needed a new ignition computer board for the furnace.

Also had a few pretty nasty leaks over the bed ( I think coming through the window) and a few leaks on the roof vent penetrations. I re-sealed them all and seemed ok, but the damn roof vents aren't fixed completely yet. I think the actual housing might be leaking. Hmm.

Thanks again fellas.

Hi Marcus!

You're in for some real fun!!!!! Welcome to Toy Land!!!!!

Shanda

Wow! That sounds like a great deal for a nice looking Sunrader. Every window and rooftop vent leaked on my '84 until I re-sealed them. The good new is that leaks are unlikely to cause serious structural damage on a Sunrader.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

Thanks guys! You are all so helpful. I have a lot of learning to do.

I did go ahead and buy that axel on Ebay, in fact I was already checking that out...What a deal. I am getting that puppy installed on Friday. I will sure feel a lot better about big road trips in the RV at that point.

The Sunrader has 64-XXX miles on it. I actually talked the seller of it down from $4800 to $1500!!! I don't know how but I did...

It already had 4 new tires, I had to buy two. Checked out the RV components (Shower, toilet, stove oven, furnace, refer) and they all work, except i needed a new ignition computer board for the furnace.

Also had a few pretty nasty leaks over the bed ( I think coming through the window) and a few leaks on the roof vent penetrations. I re-sealed them all and seemed ok, but the damn roof vents aren't fixed completely yet. I think the actual housing might be leaking. Hmm.

Thanks again fellas.

Alright everybody, call me a rookie. I just realized that I purchased the new axle, but if it is going from 5 to 6 lug, won't I need to get four new wheels? This is getting expensive.... I heard this could happen!

If I need to do this, can anyone recommend what to buy? Hopefully something that I can keep my new tires I just bought.....

Thanks all!

Marcus

Wow! That sounds like a great deal for a nice looking Sunrader. Every window and rooftop vent leaked on my '84 until I re-sealed them. The good new is that leaks are unlikely to cause serious structural damage on a Sunrader.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

First, the bad news. Yes, you'll need to get 4 6-bolt rims.

Now the good newa. Yes, your new tires will fit. Assuming you bought 185R14, that is.

Where are you located, in case someone knows of any near you to save the shipping cost.

Did you think to contact the EBay seller to see if he happens to have any?

Hi Marcus,

Yes, you'll need four (six, seven?) wheels like this (see attached picture). They are 14x5" wheels with three hand holes and 6 on 7.25" bolt pattern. They're not the same as regular Toyota pickup six lug wheels. I've sometimes heard them called "big" six lug wheels.

The two pictured are currently for sale on eBay (not by me) but they're kind of spendy. Note that he's selling two, but the price is for each. Good picture tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item20b10852da

Call all your local salvage yards and see what you can scare up. Also check car-part.com. Search for 1987, Toyota Truck (except T100 and Tundra), Wheel (Display w Image), select the area you want to search, specify how you want the results sorted, and enter your Zip Code. Click the Search button and select 14x5 (4x2) DRW from the list of pictures. That'll get you a list of wheels from 87 and 88 trucks. Repeat the search for 1989 which will get the newer ones. Either will work fine.

Prices seem to range anywhere from $30 to $100 each. Maybe you'll luck out and find some close by or that can be shipped reasonably.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

P.S. Did you get shock mounting plates with your axle? Those are the plates that the U-bolts that go around the axle bolt up to and that the lower end of the shock absorbers connect to. The ones that are on your rig won't fit the new axle since its considerably thicker than the old one. They're hard to come by and if you didn't get them, you may need to have some fabricated. 4x4 off-road shops seem to have a pretty good handle on that. You'll also need to buy new U-bolts. Having them made by a 4x4 or spring shop seems to be the best way to get the right size.

Alright everybody, call me a rookie. I just realized that I purchased the new axle, but if it is going from 5 to 6 lug, won't I need to get four new wheels? This is getting expensive.... I heard this could happen!

If I need to do this, can anyone recommend what to buy? Hopefully something that I can keep my new tires I just bought.....

Thanks all!

Marcus

post-2245-12744514988537_thumb.jpg

Edited by COYota

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

Unfortunatly water leaks can cause serious damage in Sunraders by rotting out the flooring where the fiberglass bonds to the plywood. Maybe something to check.

I will defintely check that out...pretty sure thats whats happening.

Update: I got my 6- lug axle in!!! Now the new problem is my speedometer is all wrong from the gearing change.....jeesh. Keeps going I guess.

I am getting ready to go on my first trip next week, up a steep hill. Haha. Hopefully she does ok.

Unfortunatly water leaks can cause serious damage in Sunraders by rotting out the flooring where the fiberglass bonds to the plywood. Maybe something to check.

Thanks Brad, you pretty much called the way that worked out in it's entirety. I ended up finding a different axle than the original one on ebay. I found one on CL that was driving distance to me (Chico, CA) and it came with four toyota 6 lug wheels, all for $270, and I didn't have to pay the $200 of freight like the one in LA on Ebay. I think I got a pretty great deal on the part, but the labor was a pretty heavy expense. They did have to fabricate all the parts you mentioned, and it needed new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and U-bolts.

Now my new concerns are that my speedometer is off, because the ratios changed on my differential, and I hope that the gearing changed for the better (easier to go up hills, more torque). I would think that the 1 ton would have a ratio that is more geared towards pulling heavier loads, but I am not sure yet...I guess I need to go try driving it up a hill. haha.

Hi Marcus,

Yes, you'll need four (six, seven?) wheels like this (see attached picture). They are 14x5" wheels with three hand holes and 6 on 7.25" bolt pattern. They're not the same as regular Toyota pickup six lug wheels. I've sometimes heard them called "big" six lug wheels.

The two pictured are currently for sale on eBay (not by me) but they're kind of spendy. Note that he's selling two, but the price is for each. Good picture tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item20b10852da

Call all your local salvage yards and see what you can scare up. Also check car-part.com. Search for 1987, Toyota Truck (except T100 and Tundra), Wheel (Display w Image), select the area you want to search, specify how you want the results sorted, and enter your Zip Code. Click the Search button and select 14x5 (4x2) DRW from the list of pictures. That'll get you a list of wheels from 87 and 88 trucks. Repeat the search for 1989 which will get the newer ones. Either will work fine.

Prices seem to range anywhere from $30 to $100 each. Maybe you'll luck out and find some close by or that can be shipped reasonably.

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

P.S. Did you get shock mounting plates with your axle? Those are the plates that the U-bolts that go around the axle bolt up to and that the lower end of the shock absorbers connect to. The ones that are on your rig won't fit the new axle since its considerably thicker than the old one. They're hard to come by and if you didn't get them, you may need to have some fabricated. 4x4 off-road shops seem to have a pretty good handle on that. You'll also need to buy new U-bolts. Having them made by a 4x4 or spring shop seems to be the best way to get the right size.

• 3 months later...

Marcus,

We had our axle break and our duel wheels fly out, through some fiberglass........it could very easily have been deadly. Putting a full floating axle into our 4*4 has been a challenge and not without serious costs. We, after three trips to various shops, seem to have all the bugs worked out. We're down to having electrical problems now but have grown to love our 18' Sunrader. I think driving a Toyota Motor Home with the breakable axle is a bad idea.

deggenb

We

Thanks!!!

Marcus

• 2 months later...

I would like more info the re: axel questions. I have been considering purchase of a 1985, 18' Toyota Sunrader, with 101,000 miles. This has the 5-lug axel. Since the problems mostly occurred on the longer, heavier Sunraders, do you recommend replacing the axel on the 18' Sunraders too. The discussion above makes me think that all 5-lug axels need to be replaced.

I have yet to see this motorhome in person, but have talked to the owner and seen lots of pictures. Currentlly, it has no leaks and has been sitting outside and we have had tremendous rain storms lately. However, the ceiling and some other areas have been covered with some wild wallpaper which makes me wonder if it is covering the stains from former leaks or if a previous owner just wanted to redecorate.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sue

Marcus,

We had our axle break and our duel wheels fly out, through some fiberglass........it could very easily have been deadly. Putting a full floating axle into our 4*4 has been a challenge and not without serious costs. We, after three trips to various shops, seem to have all the bugs worked out. We're down to having electrical problems now but have grown to love our 18' Sunrader. I think driving a Toyota Motor Home with the breakable axle is a bad idea.

deggenb

We

Yes, it needs to be replaced. They break on the 18' models too. It's something that can very easily kill you or someone else if it happens at speed or on a busy road. It's like playing Russian Roulette every time you drive. It can also total out the RV from the damage the departing wheels inflict coupled with the damage from the RV dragging on the ground until it stops.......hopefully right side up.

Replacement is the safest way to go.

"Summary:

REAR AXLE BEARINGS MAY FAIL DUE TO A BENDING MOMENT CREATED BY THE AFTERMARKET DUAL REAR WHEELS FROM A VARIETY OF FACTORS AND ESPECIALLY WHEN OVERLOADED. FAILURE OF THE BEARINGS CREATE STRESSES ON THE REAR AXLE, RESULTING IN THE BREAKAGE OF THE AXLE."

This is the actually wording from the recall. To me, that indicates that at the very least the rear axles (shafts) should be replaced (since they might have already started to fatigue crack) and new quality bearings that should be meticulously maintained/replaced.

http://auto-recalls.justia.com/national-rv/dolphin/1982/91v060000/index.html

Thanks so much for the confirmation from you experienced Toyota-RVers. That was the conclusion that I had come to after reading and reading all the axel questions/answers and just wanted to be certain that it was correct. Sue