Hello

I am looking to replace the front and rear shocks on my 1986 18' Sunrader 4x4 Turbo. I perused most of the postings on this forum regarding shocks and have narrowed my choice down to:

Airlift - 57113 - Allows up to 2,000 lbs. of leveling support

Bilstein - F4-B46-1772-H1 - Front; F4-B46-0258-H0 - Rear

Monroe Gas Magnum - 34953 - Front; 34803 Rear

KYB Gasajust Performance - KG5458 - Front; KG5438R - Rear

1. Is there any advantage to installing the Airlifts in the rear?
  2. Out of the shocks mentioned above do these seem like the correct ones?
  3. What would you recommend?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

TurboBernard

How important is $$$$. If no problem go Bilsteins

Thanks.

$$$ is always a consideration, but not the primary factor. Some say if you're on the road and need the shocks replaced it is easier to get the Monroes. On the other hand, Bilsteins have lifetime warranty.

What do you think of the airlifts? Any advantage to those? Or any potential issues?

Thanks.

$$ is always a consideration, but not the primary factor. Some say if you're on the road and need the shocks replaced it is easier to get the Monroes. On the other hand, Bilsteins have lifetime warranty.

What do you think of the airlifts? Any advantage to those? Or any potential issues?

I have airlifts on our 86 21' Sunrader and like them very much. I don't inflate them to the max because it stiffens the ride but I do level the rig by inflating each bag until the measurement from the wheel fenders to the ground is about equal. They do help with sway but in a Sunrader sway is minimal anyway. DO NOT operate the vehicle with no pressure in the bags as this will lead to deterioration. They are easy to inflate with a bicycle pump when a compressor is not handy.

John H SW OH

86 Sunrader 21'

22RE, 43D, trans cooler & gauge

59K miles

I have airlifts on our 86 21' Sunrader and like them very much. I don't inflate them to the max because it stiffens the ride but I do level the rig by inflating each bag until the measurement from the wheel fenders to the ground is about equal. They do help with sway but in a Sunrader sway is minimal anyway. DO NOT operate the vehicle with no pressure in the bags as this will lead to deterioration. They are easy to inflate with a bicycle pump when a compressor is not handy.

John H SW OH

86 Sunrader 21'

22RE, 43D, trans cooler & gauge

59K miles

If the airlifts you mention are air springs (bags) then they are separate from the shocks. You can add air springs if you don't have them. If you do and they inflate no problem. For shocks Bilsteins are best. Most of us that add air springs go with Firestone.

Since you have a 4x4 it may be different. I added airsprings to my 85 21' sunrader. Love them.

H

Air Shocks are not a good idea. They place a lot of stress on the lower shock mount. There have been more than a few reports of breakage

Ok So your looking for shocks for one of the heaviest 4x4 Sunrader shorties out there. The shocks you have listed are all for a 2WD vehicle. You need 4x4 shocks and strong ones. No Monroe No KYB gas-adjust, try KYB monomax. Bilsteins OK but also look at Rancho rs5000 or 9000. They are made for 4x4"s.Just make sure you don't buy the ones made for lifted chassis or off road only. Airlift's are air bags which you already have, don't need replacing unless they are leaking air. Where's Greg?

Linda S

Try www.discountautoshocks.com Best prices anywhere

Thanks for all your replies. Yes this is Greg's former rig.

The leaf springs are almost flat, and there are no air lifts on the vehicle.

I've gone to two truck mechanics and the best choice seems to be the following:

1) Re arc the leaf springs to about three inches to stiffen the back end since they already have 1000lb adders. If necesary, they will add an additional leaf spring, or remove the current 1000lb Hellwig Leaf Spring Helpers and add 1500lb Leaf Spring Helpers on each side; and

2) Add Rancho 9000 Series Adjustable Shock Absorbers with In-cab 9 position remote tuning.

Does this sound right? Any potential issues?

Again, thanks for all your help. I'm coming up the learning curve - fast!

TurboBernard

I agree beware of air shocks.

Re arching is OK but many say it will not last. The guy who was going to do mine said it would not change the ride.

Just lift it.

Some places reheat them and some just hammer bend them.

The good thing is if they do it they replace the shackles.

As I said mine were flat and I installed the Firestone air springs.

I use a portable compressor to adjust them. No problem.

Henry

Thanks for all your replies. Yes this is Greg's former rig.

The leaf springs are almost flat, and there are no air lifts on the vehicle.

I've gone to two truck mechanics and the best choice seems to be the following:

1) Re arc the leaf springs to about three inches to stiffen the back end since they already have 1000lb adders. If necesary, they will add an additional leaf spring, or remove the current 1000lb Hellwig Leaf Spring Helpers and add 1500lb Leaf Spring Helpers on each side; and

2) Add Rancho 9000 Series Adjustable Shock Absorbers with In-cab 9 position remote tuning.

Does this sound right? Any potential issues?

Again, thanks for all your help. I'm coming up the learning curve - fast!

TurboBernard

If the leaf springs are sagged, I'd suggest having new leafs custom built at a local spring shop. They can help you dial in a ride height and stiffness of the spring. New springs will also last you for years and you don't have to worry about metal fatigue in the 25 year old leafs you have now.

On the shocks, I really like Bilstein shocks. I do not have them on the Sunrader (yet) but have them on four of my Ford trucks and have installed 3 others sets on friends vehicles. www.eshocks.com has great prices on them. What I like about them is that they are stiff which gives you a firm ride and good control over the vehicle. Bilstein also provides excellent customer support/installation help should you need it. The adjustable Ranchos sound cool.....at first. Do you really want to crawl under the vehicle to adjust them? I found that I just left them on stiff all the time. Then I replaced them with Bilsteins and got much better life out of them. The Bilsteins will likely be cheaper than Rancho 9000s too. My experience with Monroe shocks is they make a decent product but they are not that stiff.

Thanks for those insights. I was wondering a bit about the metal fatigue and the value of adjustable shocks given the weight of the rig.

Which Bilsteins would you recommend for a 1986 18' 4x4 Sunrader? I will check out eshocks.

Thanks for those insights. I was wondering a bit about the metal fatigue and the value of adjustable shocks given the weight of the rig.

Which Bilsteins would you recommend for a 1986 18' 4x4 Sunrader? I will check out eshocks.

I'm running the Heavy Dutys on all the vehicles I've installed them on. Your application is a bit challenging. I'm fairly certain the B46-1139-H1 shock that fits the front of the 1986 4x4 pickup will fit fine but I don't know for sure. On the rear you may have to either call Bilstein tech support at 858-386-5900 and/or measure your current shocks and compare to others. Bilstein makes a rear shock for a 2WD dually in your year or for a 4x4. To my knowledge, the only dually 4x4 Toyotas were the Sunraders. If you are not comfortable with measuring the shocks, try a local 4x4 shop that does lifts/fabrication and see if they will do it. Basically you need to know how the shock mounts, distance between the mounts, maybe the diameter if there is something that might run on a larger shock, then make sure the shock has enough travel when the suspension extends and finally that the shock won't bottom out when the suspension is fully compressed. Then you compare the manufacturers spec sheets to find one that works. If you find the part numbers that will work, post it here in case one of the other 25 4x4 Sunrader owners needs to know.

Technically, Odyssey offered 4x4 20' Motorhomes. There's a picture of one in their brochure. Whether that's the only one ever built, I don't know.

I've run across two of these for sale. Both were single rear wheel so they may use a different rear shock than a 4x4 Sunrader. I'd be curious as to what the Odyssey uses for a rear axle.