Black water holding tank question

vtchris

It was really cold last night so I let both of my faucets run a bit. Well, to my amazement I found out that the bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water holding tank (I didn't think that valve needed to be open...:Poster_oops:). But luckily no water backed up into the camper, it overflowed onto the ground somehow. But how? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? Where does the shower drain to?

It was really cold last night so I let both of my faucets run a bit. Well, to my amazement I found out that the bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water holding tank (I didn't think that valve needed to be open...poster_oops.gif). But luckily no water backed up into the camper, it overflowed onto the ground somehow. But how? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? Where does the shower drain to?

Had a similiar experience. I was running off the water due to the unit being winterized with RV antifreeze when I bought it. I had the bath sink on and the gray water value open. Low and behold I came back a few minutes later and found the sink backed up and running over, also the water had backed up in the shower. Luckely my black water tank contained no ?.

The best I can tell it appears my entire bathroom is on one tank and the kitchen sink on another.

Hope this helps.

Ranger

Had a similiar experience. I was running off the water due to the unit being winterized with RV antifreeze when I bought it. I had the bath sink on and the gray water value open. Low and behold I came back a few minutes later and found the sink backed up and running over, also the water had backed up in the shower. Luckely my black water tank contained no ?.

The best I can tell it appears my entire bathroom is on one tank and the kitchen sink on another.

Hope this helps.

Ranger

on my '80 dolphin, the black water tank is also connected to the shower drain. There is a main drain for the shower "out", but if it is not open, then the water alternately goes into the black water tank. I thought this wasnt a good idea at first, but now I see the reason behind it. I have only showered in a motorhome once (not this dolphin). I bet that just one shower with the main drain closed would fill my black water tank.

on my '80 dolphin, the black water tank is also connected to the shower drain. There is a main drain for the shower "out", but if it is not open, then the water alternately goes into the black water tank. I thought this wasnt a good idea at first, but now I see the reason behind it. I have only showered in a motorhome once (not this dolphin). I bet that just one shower with the main drain closed would fill my black water tank.

According to my owner's manual, each holding tank is just 14 gallons.....that isn't much water if you are taking a shower.

I think a lot of them the sink drains to the black water it's kind of right there and the bath sink does not really get too much use. The bad set up is the shower also drains to the black water not a good ideal for people that use the shower it does not take long to dump several gallons in the black water tank. There are those that have disconnected the piping and used a 5 gal. bucket for the shower drain. I guess the best way to find out is open the gray water valve and turn on the shower a full black water tank is no fun.

It was really cold last night so I let both of my faucets run a bit. Well, to my amazement I found out that the bathroom sink gray water goes into the black water holding tank (I didn't think that valve needed to be open...poster_oops.gif). But luckily no water backed up into the camper, it overflowed onto the ground somehow. But how? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? Where does the shower drain to?

My '85 Dolphin shower also drains directly into the black water tank. I'm planning on removing the shower pan and black water tank this Spring so that I can figure out a way to plumb it into the grey water tank. The problem as I see it is that the shower sits directly over the black water tank and there is very little (if any) room to run plumbing around the tank. I'm even considering cutting an access panel in the bottom of the black water tank and running a pipe through the tank and out the rear wall of the tank straight back to the grey water tank. Should be lots of fun but then, so is owning a Toyota motorhome!

John

My '85 Dolphin shower also drains directly into the black water tank. I'm planning on removing the shower pan and black water tank this Spring so that I can figure out a way to plumb it into the grey water tank. The problem as I see it is that the shower sits directly over the black water tank and there is very little (if any) room to run plumbing around the tank. I'm even considering cutting an access panel in the bottom of the black water tank and running a pipe through the tank and out the rear wall of the tank straight back to the grey water tank. Should be lots of fun but then, so is owning a Toyota motorhome!

John

One day I am going to have to get under my Toy to see why, when my black tank was full, it spilled out on the ground (under the tank) instead of backing up into the shower drain or toilet. Would there be an overflow relief portal? Or does mine have a crack or hole?

One day I am going to have to get under my Toy to see why, when my black tank was full, it spilled out on the ground (under the tank) instead of backing up into the shower drain or toilet. Would there be an overflow relief portal? Or does mine have a crack or hole? Yeah you need to have a look at that it should not run out of the tank under any circumstance. Check around the vent pipe that is the highest point.

Was replacing my tank valves this past weekend. In preparing for this I really cleaned, heck blasted, the black tank and noticed a large drip coming from the tank area towards the bumper side. After getting home and looking more closely I could see that the tank sits unevenly up against the floorboard. The rear of the tank has as much as 1/2" gap (this is where the toilet and the bath sink are as well as the exhaust pipe exiting the tanks. I got in with a hose and blasted again. sure enough with enough force some water did indeed drip from the same place above the tank.

I plan to look at it more closely, but it may indeed be some overflow valve, and if so Thank you very much Winnebago! oops forgot to mention, I have a 92 Spirit.

Well I just got off the phone with Winnebago. No not a valve. it should actually get water holding in the "stool" area. Hence the rubber gaskets used are leaking. There is one at the toilet and one at the vent pipe. and I imagine the bath sink has some gasket too.

Ah well.