I recently purchased one of the small notebook computers made by Acer. They're sold almost everywhere. I bought mine for $278 from Wallyworld. It is just right for the motorhome. Now I don't have to lug my heavy Dell XPS wide screen around on trips if I want to stay connected.

I became interested in the Acer at work where we have purchased dozens of them to use as controllers for equipment we send out in the field. They come in white, red, blue, black, copper and pink. We purchased pink so they wouldn't end up getting lost. These little jewels take a beating and we haven't had any fail yet. They have the 10.1 inch screen with Win XP and a 160GB harddrive. We also tried the Eee PC with the 8 inch screen and the 8GB solid state hard drive with Win XP. The screen is not big enough for my eyes and the hard drive doesn't leave enough space after loading Win OS. They normally come with Linux OS. We also tried a small Samsung thing that is handheld with about a 6 inch screen and Win XP. The keyboard looks like something I can't type on (read blackberry).

The Acer I purchased came in midnight blue, weighs a little over 2 lbs, the standard battery runs about 3 hours constant. The battery is upgradable to 6 and 9 hours. It has the standard computer connections, mainly an external video port, 3 USB ports, high speed telephone jack, speaker jack and a SD/xD memory slot. Internal camera, mic, and wireless modem. The internal wireless works great in WIFI hot spots. I also use a Net Gear 10X wireless adapter/modem that can bring in hotspots up to 2 miles away on good days (I used it on my old Dell Latitude). The Verizon Wireless external hi-speed modem works great too.

The downside is that you have to purchase an external CD/DVD drive. I purchased an external Iomega CD/DVD writer that comes with a USB cable and Nero burning software (I prefer and use Roxio) and it doesn't require a power supply, it powers thru the USB. I had to pay $79 for that but is is tiny and works great.

Anyway, just my two cents on a truly portable computer that fits easily into a Toy cabinet.

Allen

I have been using a Lenovo x300 for more than a year now. ultra portable (3 lbs - less then 1" thick), core 2 cpu, 4 gig ram, high rez graphics, 5 hour battery life, full size screen (13.3"), full size keyboard, built in verizon high speed, wireless nic, SSD (solid state drive), dvd/rw, and it has GPS on top of it all.

I've been VERY pleased with it

It is more than most people need in a lappy but I have to be connected 24/7/365. I am even considering putting a motosat on the roof (it's sitting in the corner of the garage now)

We have replaced all of the cop car laptops they were tough, alloy cases etc. However they were going through hard drives like crazy from the pounding they took on the road while they were running. So I guess if you are going to run the computer on the go for navigation etc. have a look at the solid state hard drive ones first.

I've got an EeePC with Linux. For travling its fine. The only problem I've encountered is the quality of some of the "free" Wifi hot spots in RV parks and some hotels.

I have been looking at the Asus Eee Pc 1000HE that has the 9.5 hour battery life. I think they also have another model that is 10.5 hours. A friend bought one and loves it as he travels on planes for hours with out a power hookup. Saw some for $269 refurbished but they sold out really fast.

Those sound like good ones.

Before laptops were affordable, I put together a 12v mini itx computer for around 200$. Of course you needed a monitor and those 15" flatscreen monitors just happen to be 12v as well. With the screen and computer, I think the setup drew about 60 watts. It wasn't the most powerful. I think it was around 800mhz can't really recall. I do remember going to a factory direct here in Silicone Valley as the one offered at Fry's wasn't as powerful. I'm sure they have come up with new motherboards since then.

I sold the old camper with the mini-itx included, and have since used a nice HP laptop for about 5 years. It too draws about the same ~4 amps. Of course I use an inverter to go from 12vdc to 120AC so that my laptop's converter can convert back to 12vDC! :headbonk: Modern inverters seem so efficient that this doesn't seem worth the risk to go around the inverter/converter. Any thoughts? And what are some of your computer's draw? This should be listed in this thread along with the other specs.

I carry my Apple MacBook Pro 15" Laptop with an additional battery. These computers are not known for a long battery cycle. I also have a 400 watt inverter installed in the ToyHome for using the coach 12v. system, which will also recharge my laptop batteries as I am driving. Computers are so much part of my life that I do not want to download a lot of information from my desktop prior to departing with the motorhome. One serious drawback to Apple Computers is the initial purchase price though. And also the learning curve as to the software, if you are a Windows PC user only.

Those sound like good ones.

Before laptops were affordable, I put together a 12v mini itx computer for around 200$. Of course you needed a monitor and those 15" flatscreen monitors just happen to be 12v as well. With the screen and computer, I think the setup drew about 60 watts. It wasn't the most powerful. I think it was around 800mhz can't really recall. I do remember going to a factory direct here in Silicone Valley as the one offered at Fry's wasn't as powerful. I'm sure they have come up with new motherboards since then.

I sold the old camper with the mini-itx included, and have since used a nice HP laptop for about 5 years. It too draws about the same ~4 amps. Of course I use an inverter to go from 12vdc to 120AC so that my laptop's converter can convert back to 12vDC! :headbonk: Modern inverters seem so efficient that this doesn't seem worth the risk to go around the inverter/converter. Any thoughts? And what are some of your computer's draw? This should be listed in this thread along with the other specs.

My Acer laptop draws 45 watts @ 120 volts. Most laptops should work fine with the lighter plug inverters. I would stick with the laptop power supply and the inverter the supply is clean and well regulated.

Greg,

Keep an eye out at tigerdirect.com. They come out with some great deals sometimes especially on small computers.

Allen

I have been looking at the Asus Eee Pc 1000HE that has the 9.5 hour battery life. I think they also have another model that is 10.5 hours. A friend bought one and loves it as he travels on planes for hours with out a power hookup. Saw some for $269 refurbished but they sold out really fast.

Greg,

Keep an eye out at tigerdirect.com. They come out with some great deals sometimes especially on small computers.

Allen

Another good one for deals: newegg.com

Don't forget woot I've seen lower end refurbished lappys for $2-300 but they go fast.