Check your engine grounds first. If you have a set of jumper cables connect one to the negative battery post and the other to the engine and try it for awhile. The problem you discribe sounds like a very common Toyota starter problem, inside the starter are copper contacts that are replaceable most places will try to sell you a starter but if you take it to a starter, alternator and battery shop they will know about the contacts pretty cheap fix. 15 min. job with the starter off. They are nifty starters and seldom any thing other then the contacts go bad.

Check your engine grounds first. If you have a set of jumper cables connect one to the negative battery post and the other to the engine and try it for awhile. The problem you discribe sounds like a very common Toyota starter problem, inside the starter are copper contacts that are replaceable most places will try to sell you a starter but if you take it to a starter, alternator and battery shop they will know about the contacts pretty cheap fix. 15 min. job with the starter off. They are nifty starters and seldom any thing other then the contacts go bad.

OK it is not the starter, cables or battery. I know that not only because they are all BRAND NEW, but today I used a bypass trigger (shorted out the starter) and it cranked right up. And of course now it is working off the key just fine. Give it a week or two and i will be back to the same thing though. I really wish i knew where it was coming from, but i may just go ahead and set up a push button start for it.

Is it an automatic? If so try moving the shifter a bit when it acts up.

I had the same problem with my 83 Sunrader, 22R, 4spd man. Sometimes it would just click. I found that by shoving myself forward in the seat and then back, it would crank right up so I then assumed a worn starter gear or flywheel.

When I had to replace my clutch, an inspection of the flywheel found no excessive wear, burrs, etc. so I installed a new starter and I cleaned all of the electrical contacts pos and gnd.

Everything worked great for over a year, and then it happened a couple of times again. I just hold on to the steering wheel and push forward and back. I think it just demands this kind of ritual be made to the starter god occasionally and then you're good to go for several more months. I just hope it doesn't start demanding sacrifices.

Allen

Brother Allen,

Along with the "Primitive Rocking Ritual", the higher powers soon require modal chants followed by the circling, gyrating "Toy Dance" (only acceptable if done with wild abandon).

Wishing you a peaceful journey,

Sister Shanda

Fellowship of the Toy

post-1592-1249498886_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 83 Sunrader, 22R, 4spd man. Sometimes it would just click. I found that by shoving myself forward in the seat and then back, it would crank right up so I then assumed a worn starter gear or flywheel.

When I had to replace my clutch, an inspection of the flywheel found no excessive wear, burrs, etc. so I installed a new starter and I cleaned all of the electrical contacts pos and gnd.

Everything worked great for over a year, and then it happened a couple of times again. I just hold on to the steering wheel and push forward and back. I think it just demands this kind of ritual be made to the starter god occasionally and then you're good to go for several more months. I just hope it doesn't start demanding sacrifices.

Allen

It is an automatic. I never could figure out why it did that, but after new cables fuses and relays I quite trying to figure it out and i bypassed the badboy. I now have a push button start that only works when the key is in RUN that direct connects the starter to the positive terminal. Now when it clicks I mash the button of "START NOW".

• 3 weeks later...

It is an automatic. I never could figure out why it did that, but after new cables fuses and relays I quite trying to figure it out and i bypassed the badboy. I now have a push button start that only works when the key is in RUN that direct connects the starter to the positive terminal. Now when it clicks I mash the button of "START NOW".

i am having a similar problem.. mine will always start cold.. but about 50 percent of the time it wont start after its been running for a while.. i just kind of chooses when it wants to it will just make a single click each time i give the key a turn .. how do you install the bypass'??? and also anyone know anything about the starter relay on these things?

Edited by impending doom

• 14 years later...

We've had a similar problem. Mechanics replaced some wiring to the selenoid,also installed another selenoid,  then put a new starter in, then installed a coil because we weren't getting a spark.  The starter cranks (the whir/whir sound) but the engine doesn't engage. Ready to tear what little hair I have out! Any additional suggestions?

Edited by bel_canto1
Left out another piece of the repairs.