5 Speed swap

I have a 1980 Toyota Huntsman with a 4 speed tranny. I found that I could swap it for a newer 5 speed and with the pictures I was provided, the 5 speed appears to be the same in every way except for the extra gear. I assume adding the extra gear will give me better mileage and the motor won't have to work as hard on flat terrain. Let me know what you think. Better yet, let me know if you've done it. Thanks, Matt

You have got 2 post here going on. One for a 5sp and one for electric trailer brakes.

Separately they might be good ideas, together (towing with a 5sp) they are a really really bad idea.

Decide which is more important and come back for ideas.

Depending on the model 5 sp the 5th is an O/D of 12-15% ie .85 to 1

3rd gear is 1:1 in A43D and OD is .688:1

4th in the 5 speed is 1:1 (same) and with 5th being .85:1 a somewhat lower gear (basically splitting the difference between 3rd and OD with respect to the automatic, you'd probably be much better suited to cruising in 5th with minimal topography. Add the fact that there is no splippage due to non-locking torque converter and I'd say you'll see 10%-15% increase in fuel economy.

But as a practical matter, what are you doing to the steering column, and how are you going to deal with the shifter in the floor, and clutch pedal, master cylinder, and different driveshaft length... this is a big project. Planning on getting a HD clutch?

Here is an informative link on this subject of a 5spd going back to June 2008 posting:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1170

The op has a 4 speed, so it isnt an auto/manual swap.

imo the 5 speed will be great, what some have done is lower the diff gearing a notch, so that the engine revs in 5th are the same as in the old 4th. If you do it, let us know how it went, cause I wanna do it when I find a 5spd.

The op has a 4 speed, so it isnt an auto/manual swap.

I can't believe I didn't notice that!

With the automatic, OD is a little too high of a gear for the highway. 3rd a little too low. Many times I wished I could split the difference. 5th in the 5 speed manual transmission is just that. Bet it will work out quite nicely.

One tip is to take a long 12 point 11/16 or 17mm wrench and bend it with a torch to a 30 degree angle and you can get the top two bolts out much easier.