Evaporative Air Cooler

shandamac

Hi Toy family,

Just getting around to thinking about looking at Sadie's water cooler/swamp cooler/evaporative air unit thingy. Since, I can't get to it for a few days, (sadly too many other projects ahead of her on the list), I thought I would ask for advice to mull over, until I'm able to tackle the cooler issue.

What I know:

It's a Regenair.

Fan works on both high and low

Water pressures all the way to unit.

What I don't know.

Does it have it's own cooler pump to spray water, or does a valve open when it's turned on

to allow the water pump to force water through a sprayer?

(I can't imagine it has an excelsior pad that wicks water from a reservoir......or does it?)

Can something be fixed or cleaned or tweaked?)

Any ideas are really appreciated.

Stay cool!

shanda

I don't know specifics about the Regenair unit. But the last 12v evap cooler I saw had a water chamber and the fan motor, through some gears, turned a drum with the pad on it. I guess some could use a water pump and trickle it down the pad.

There usually a float valve to keep the water at the correct level in the cooler.

Thanks W,

Very interesting and potentially more involved than I was imagining, but fun! Thank you very much.

shanda

I haven't seen a Regenair. Do you have a web reference? I am curious.

I have the old Bycool. You can see it in the top front picture on my profile. It has it's own pump to pump up the water to the unit. A cylinder with media rotates in a trough to keep the media wet. There is no internal sprayer. There is a scoop in front that has to be opened. I have the manual model which is a pain in the butt to get on the roof to open the scoop.

The main brand sold now is the Turbocool. I had one of those. It has a conical sprayer to spray the water over a circular media. It requires your MH water pump to pump up the water to a sump in the unit. A float opens and closes the water feed. I had to super charge my water pump with a bigger motor to get it to pump to the roof efficiently. The Turbocool is over priced but works good and is reliable.

There used to be a brand called Playcool which was real neat.

Thanks Futar,

Well, I finished one of my projects early (ran out of paint) so I decided to work on Sadie's water cooler lastnight. Found out first of all that I can't spell. It's called a RECAIR not Regenair (I really should wear my glasses all the time). Second, after taking off the hood, I found years and years of dirt, leaves and debri down inside. I pulled off the fan, and saw the conicle sprayer with exactly the same set up as the Turbocool you described. I pulled out the foam tube and washed it really good, vacuumed out all the loose debri, and wiped out the inside with a damp rag and diluted bleach. Moved the float a little to loosen it up then turned on the water pump. Sure enough, water started filling the reservior. I slipped back in the foam tube, centered the fan, and flipped the switch to high. Yeehaw! Nice cool air. I let it run for an hour or so.

One thing I didn't do was let the reservior fill completely. (I won't be taking her out for a while, and didn't want water to just sit.) Also, I'll need to see if I can find a shut off for water to the unit for cooler weather, but at least I know for now it works.

Thanks again for your help.

Safe and happy travels,

Shanda

Most plumbing stores should have a small plastic on/off valve for you to use in the water supply line.

BUT there should be a valve some where in the water line already , some body in the last 25 years surely has wanted to cut off the water ^_^

BUT there should be a valve some where in the water line already , some body in the last 25 years surely has wanted to cut off the water ^_^

Yeah, you would think. I thought it was pretty wierd set up too. Looks to me like the water is directly hooked up to the toilet line behind the tank. I've tried to feel for a faucet valve. Whoever installed it ran a copper tube from behind the toilet, loose up the back wall and out through the sky-lite. They also ran separate electric inside over the headliner. I've only used shore power, (coach battery projects even further down the list), but I did see the original power line tucked up under the headliner when I pulled the cooler's face plate to clean it. I'm not sure if they did that to bypass the battery or what, maybe a separate designation in the fuse box, or maybe had an a/c at one point since the water situation is so wonky. Anyway, I'll get a mirror to get a good look at the connection behind the toilet. I'd really like to change out the copper pipe for flex with a valve, so I can remove the hose completely from the cooler and cap it in the Fall. Isn't that how it usually works. One project leads to another, and another, and another. :).

Thanks W,

Have a great day.

S

[ Isn't that how it usually works. One project leads to another, and another, and another. :).

Thanks W,

Have a great day.

S

Your still in the amateur stage, soon when you get to pro status, one project will turn in to 3 that need to be done simultaneously

Your still in the amateur stage, soon when you get to pro status, one project will turn in to 3 that need to be done simultaneously

:)

Hopefully, I've got the motorhome parked in a nice shady spot close to an Autozone when that happens.

Next project: Coach battery.

Have a nice week WME.

s

Wacha Ya doing to the battery??? Should there be a new thread??

Recair was the original name until the Bachmans who now own it changed it to Turbocool.

http://www.turbokool.com/aboutus.html

You can probably get spare parts through them.

I seem to remember a nut that be removed to drain the unit for the winter.

Recair was the original name until the Bachmans who now own it changed it to Turbocool.

http://www.turbokool.com/aboutus.html

You can probably get spare parts through them.

I seem to remember a nut that be removed to drain the unit for the winter.

Futar,

I so enjoyed reading about the Bachmans. Thanks for that.

s