gas smell

i sometimes get a strong gas smell when driving my 94 toy winnie warrior. it seems to happen when i fill the gas tank and top it off. last week my interior alarm even went off. i had to pull over on the highway and thought i was going to blow up. (yes, funny visual) but not so funny at the time.

do i have a gas leak somewhere? has anyone else had this problem.

thanks to all who answer. you toy people are amazing....

Noreen In Colorado

Noreen,

Any chance you're having the same issue we had, where the pressure inside the tank is apparently building up (possibly due to a gas cap that is unvented) so fuel spills over into the charcoal EVAP cannister and then when that fills up drains out through it's "emergency" overflow hose into the engine compartment area? We had that happen on our way out of town last weekend and it was gushing gas out of the cannister.

Fill it up to the brim and look under it. The leak will be obvious. Common problems is the fill hose or the vent line, less common is a bad gasket for the fuel pump or the sender for the gas gauge.

The problem stems from the fact that the gasoline they make today has a much higher vapor pressure than the stuff they were making when these things were designed. So when you top it off, the vapor pressure can actually push liquid fuel up into the evap canister and flood it.

If you REALLY top it off, you might flood it to the point where it enters your intake and makes it run rich enough to foul your plugs and your catalytic converter.

See discussion at: http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.ph...=10095&st=0

In short, when the pump quits, don't cram any more fuel in there or you may experience severe problems.

I had the same problem when I first bought my Sunrader. On mine, when I filled it to the brim, I had a very strong gas smell (and leak). It turned out to be both, the fill pipe (hose) and the gasket for the sending unit. The filler hose shrinks after lots of years and actually pulls away from the tank even though it's clamped, very common problem for the Toys. The gasket is neoprene but after many years it softened up somewhat. They only leaked when the tank was filled to the top. I fixed both of my problems (the hose was a PIA) or you can simply not fill to the top.

Allen

I thought the gas smell I was getting was from the carbon canister.

I finally saw gas dripping off my gas tank after a start-up.

Found that the floor of the rig has sagged enough that it was causing interference with the fuel hoses. There are holes worn into the bottom of the floor by the hoses.

This had obviously been a problem for a while, as the supply pipe had been previously brazed. The immediate failure was a re-break of the repair. The just fell off when I dropped down the tank.

Short term, I am able to get a good 1" of the hose on the remaining pipe, but because most of this is on the curve of the pipe, I still want to find another pump bracket. I also shimmed down the tank to remove the interference.

Long term, I could add a floor cross member in this area. Replacing the tank is also a possible option. It already was the lowest point to the road, and dropping it made it worse. (Has anyone made a gas tank guard?) I am only able to use ~ 20 gallons of it's 26 gallon stated capacity, anyway...

On to the Search for gas tank messages....

post-1817-1247239980_thumb.jpg

The deal with the canister on a 22RE or 6 cylinder is to vent the fuel tank but it is older technology so if you cram more fuel in the tank then is necessary it probably will force fuel out of the canister when it is hot out. Cold fuel hot air it has to expand. The fuel system is sealed and should be, the cap is not vented but the tank is through the canister. The running engine burns the vapor and vents the tank with virtually no effect. The canister can deal with small amounts of liquid fuel that is why there is charcoal inside of it to absorb the liquid fuel that maybe forced in to it.