Boondock vs. plugged in What can/can't I run?

shaunydaun

I am new to my '91 Sunrader.  I am enjoying camping at RV resorts and staying plugged up in friends' driveways.  I am confused about the job of the converter (inverter), generator, and power plug.  

If I am boondocking, what won't work?  The fridge has a gas mode, so I assume it will work while boondocking.  Will the water heater?  What about the outlets for appliances?  If I use the inverter, will those work?  Do I have to turn the inverter on or is it always on?  

Anyone who could school me in this understanding I will buy a beer when our paths cross!  

Tecno Babble... Converter makes 12v DC from 120v AC, standard equipment on 99% of commercial made RV's. Inverter is backwards, it makes 120v AC from 12v DC it is very seldom installed in low/mid price RV's. An inverter on a Toy would most likely been installed by a previous owner and who knows how it's wired.

Inverters have an idle draw, like a car engine idling, no work but its using gas. Most inverters have an on/off switch. The high class ones have auto on function so they have a greatly reduced idle draw. An "old school" setup you would have to plug the shore power cord into the inverter. A smart setup would have an auto transfer switch (ATS) that will automatically power the Rv. SOME inverters have an ATS built in. Again whatcha got?

So the question is do you really have an inverter?? If you find one, what make and what power rating?

What works boondocking??? Your Fridge, house heater, water heater all are propane powered. Your house heater fan, stove vent fan, lights are all 12v powered. The outlets are 120v AC only so to power them you need an 1. inverter or 2. Shore power 120v AC or 3. Generator.

If you plan on a lot boondocking you need to look into a solar setup, but that's another conversation.

12 hours ago, WME said:

Tecno Babble... Converter makes 12v DC from 120v AC, standard equipment on 99% of commercial made RV's. Inverter is backwards, it makes 120v AC from 12v DC it is very seldom installed in low/mid price RV's. An inverter on a Toy would most likely been installed by a previous owner and who knows how it's wired.

Inverters have an idle draw, like a car engine idling, no work but its using gas. Most inverters have an on/off switch. The high class ones have auto on function so they have a greatly reduced idle draw. An "old school" setup you would have to plug the shore power cord into the inverter. A smart setup would have an auto transfer switch (ATS) that will automatically power the Rv. SOME inverters have an ATS built in. Again whatcha got?

So the question is do you really have an inverter?? If you find one, what make and what power rating?

What works boondocking??? Your Fridge, house heater, water heater all are propane powered. Your house heater fan, stove vent fan, lights are all 12v powered. The outlets are 120v AC only so to power them you need an 1. inverter or 2. Shore power 120v AC or 3. Generator.

If you plan on a lot boondocking you need to look into a solar setup, but that's another conversation.

This is my board.  I guess it is just a converter.  So why does it make noise sometimes and heat comes out of the vents when I am plugged in?  So if I understand correctly, the purpose of the converter is to convert the power from the post I am plugged up to  into usable power from the outlets.  I have some that are regular plugs (120 v?) and some that are 12v like little lighter holes and the lights.  So, my tv, fridge, plugged appliances will only work when I am plugged in, right?  So if I boondock, I won't have any access to those, or I will only have as long as the battery lasts.  What is running off the big boat battery?  My panel says it is fully charged.  

1000016853.jpeg

1000016852.jpeg

anything that needs 120v ac power needs the power from the pole or a generator.    the converter  (120v ac to 12v dc) uses some energy to do its job, hence the heat.

all the 12v stuff always runs off the "boat battery", the converter keeps it charged.'

as said, the fridge runs on propane---no electricity needed.    the furnace uses 12v from your battery to run the fan

You haven't posted a picture of an inverter!!!

Power circuit panel (circuit breakers), power converter and 12v fuse panel