air booster springs

i plan on using my 94 winnebago warrior in the winter and would like to have more clearance underneath due to snow etc. I have been hearing about these air booster springs that help jack up the back of the rv. is this true? and how much do they jack it up??? inches, feet??

thanks, newbie noreen

The pivot point is the front axle, so if you raise the rear end the front bumper gets lower. My air bags will raise my back bumper over 6 inches, from 10 psi to 100 psi. But at the drivers door that's about 1 inch of lift.

• 2 weeks later...
i plan on using my 94 winnebago warrior in the winter and would like to have more clearance underneath due to snow etc. I have been hearing about these air booster springs that help jack up the back of the rv. is this true? and how much do they jack it up??? inches, feet??

thanks, newbie noreen

If your rig seems well suspended otherwise I don't think I would add air boosters. My understanding is that they are there to augment and support the springs. Adding the boosters just to gain clearance seems like it could create complications (and cost). If you're beast seems undersuspended they are certainly an option. The factory air bags on my 87 dolphin are blown out and I'm replacing them with a kit I found at http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bi...-motorhome.html . My dolphin, however, sits way low in the back without the bags and clearly needs some help.

The suspension needs to keep some travel in order to reduce the amount of shock traveling through the coaches structure. If you make it to stiff it will shake your coach apart and your teeth out. Air bags are a good choice to gain a bit more clearance but its all weight related. Don't just pump them up to the max pressure to gain height unless you have a bunch of weight in the rig. The springs still need to work. Springs though might not be correct and having new springs built is another option. Built right and they can give a higher smother ride without jarring your teeth loose. I know someone who had some new springs build and is 100% happy. The builder weighed each wheel and built the springs for weight and height. One side actually has one more leaf then the other.