Generator stalls when AC kicks on

I have an Sea Breeze with a 2800 Onan generator. The generator has been working fine for the past six months running the roof AC. It also works fine with the shore power.

However, now when the AC kicks on (running on the generator). The generator usually bogs down and stops. Occasionally it will bog down and then start running okay. It still runs okay on shore power. Any suggestions?

Bob in Texas (new member)

What size A/C??

I have an Onan 2800 and a 13.500 A/C. It did what you are describing. I had to install a Hard Start Capacitor on the A/C to get things running right

WME

It sounds like the engine is running a little too lean. If it was working ok some thing has changed. It could be as simple as adjusting the altitude compensator or more involved like a carb removal and cleaning. I think the first thing I would try is a fuel filter replacement probably never has been done. Beyond that under the carb is a adjuster for a change in altitude you may try turning it just a little to the left that will make it a bit richer.

WME:

Which hard start capacitor did you install? I have been working slowly on my Kohler 2.5 rebuilding the carb and replacing the muffler and can run the ac on fan but when I switch to low ac setting the gen bogs down and stalls. Somewhere I read about someone installing a Supco SPP6E. The only one I can easily find is a Supco SPP6, not SPP6E. The company lists some differences in the circuits but I wonder if I would be just as happy with the SPP6. I'd appreciate your help.

Seamus McShank

WME:

Which hard start capacitor did you install? I have been working slowly on my Kohler 2.5 rebuilding the carb and replacing the muffler and can run the ac on fan but when I switch to low ac setting the gen bogs down and stalls. Somewhere I read about someone installing a Supco SPP6E. The only one I can easily find is a Supco SPP6, not SPP6E. The company lists some differences in the circuits but I wonder if I would be just as happy with the SPP6. I'd appreciate your help.

Seamus McShank

No idea which cap it is. I went to my Commerical Refer guy and told him I needed a hot start cap. He asked what A/C and looked it up and gave me a cap and instructions.

That was 5 years ago.

WME

My Onan would do that running an air compressor. Tune up fixed that. I also removed the carb and cleaned all its parts in an ultrasonic cleaner. Runs much better now and quicker to adjust to a load.

However, don't just blame the genset. Maybe the AC is part of the problem. A worn out start capacitor can do this. Over time, caps leak or otherwise lose their capacitance. Also, a shorted start winding in the AC compressor can do this. These troubles happen to window AC units all the time. You might see if you can get a peak current reading on the compressor and see if it is comparable to the locked rotor amps on the nameplate.