New Buyer - 1986 Toyota Coachmen - Advice Please!

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are new to the motorhome game. We've been identifying our needs over the past year or so, and when we discovered the Toyota mini-campers we were instantly attracted to them.

Now we are considering a 1986 Coachmen for $10k. I'd like some advice on what I should be on the lookout for when we go to visit it. First things first, I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the Coachmen. Is it any better or worse than a Winnebago, Dolphin, or SLE from the same year? Are there any well-known issues with this particular model year and configuration?

Here's what I know so far:

6-lug dually rear axle installed

22RE engine w/ 4-speed auto transmission and ~76k miles

12 years w/ current owner. They seem to have kept up on it from the pictures I've seen.

And that's it. I have done a fair amount of research, and have been a vehicle owner for some time now, so I know generally what to ask. But I've never had to do that with an RV.

Below is the URL, please take a look and if anything stands out to you please let me know and much appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/777538037634726

Best,

haleyryan7722

Welcome to our forum. The 6 lug axle is very good.

Aside from normal due diligence, my first concern is why the roof is covered with plywood. I’m guessing it’s for snow abatement. It could also be due to potential roof leak issues.

New England uses a fair amount of road salt during the winter months. I would check the frame over very carefully for any rot. Surface rust is not a big deal.

Tires should be recent. Check the date codes on each tire. Google will tell you how to do that.

Others will also chip in with advice. This is the premiere site for Toyota motorhomes.

• From the pictures looks like a nice model. Rear dining area is desirable. No specific info on that model from me but a few general considerations as an owner of a non fiberglass unit and owner of numerous other campers: 

- Coachman was a reputable brand then and made quality campers

- I am envious of the manual transmission and think that is a big plus. Clutch replacement is more manageable than automatic transmission replacement if ever needed. My understanding is the gear ratio on the manual transmissions work well. 

- Hunt for leaks in the camper ceiling by looking in cupboards, corners, and the overhead bed compartment. Inquire about what current owner did to repair the leaks and plan on researching ways to address and prevent leaks; all non fiberglass Toyota motorhomes leak at this point unless the owners have been incredibly diligent. Touch and press on spots in the ceiling that look unusual, discolored or wrinkled to determine integrity; is the wood firm, soft, crunchy, etc...

- fridge is a pricey item, be sure to inquire about function in all 3 ways; gas, electric, dc. Look at the propane tank and see whether the valve is open or closed. If the valve is closed ask why so you know about propane leaks. Ask about all camper appliances and heater. Look in water heater area for water damage; not just the outside compartment, but inside as well. 

- the 22re motor was designed to not leak any fluids. Look underneath the engine for drips of any fluids. Leaks will have to be addressed promptly. Ask the owner whether the motor has ever overheated while they owned it. Take it easy with it if you buy it for a few until you can be sure the cooling systems are working properly (radiator, hoses, fan clutch, belts, pulleys, temp gauge in the cab). 

Ownership of these is a labor of love. Plan on needing to repair and maintain the vehicle no matter what the owner says about it due to age. Overall, very reliable once you address aged components. 

Thank you both Fred and Scott. This is great advice.

I was told by the owners that the plywood over the roof is part of their winterization process and they do not drive it in the winter. Being from Buffalo myself, rust is a big concern and I will check that out for sure.

Scott, this one is an automatic transmission, but I've read those are just fine as well. I will ask about the clutch though. Not something that was obvious to me.