winter camping

i live in the mountains and want to do some winter camping. i like to ski and would like to chase some storms and ski powder. i just got a 94 winnebago warrior. any suggestions on how to make my rv warm and comfie in the winter?????

newbie noreen

Noreen,

I had several successful weeks chasing the pow. Arrive before the front hits and stay till CalTrans has the road clear.

1. Unless you have double glass windows, make foil-type inserts for each window. Available by the foot at Orchard Supply Hardware, et. al. Add a layer under the mattress, too. Then a thick blanket to close off the cab from the coach.

2. Keep the doors cracked open to all the compartments that contain water lines. I only froze up twice, both nights below 10 degrees on the clear night after the storm. (Too tired to remember to open the doors...?) I believe my weak link is the metal drain valve at the exit of the fresh water tank. Cannot insulate it well and it has some outside exposure, too. (Hmm. Insulate below the floor?)

3. Have a jug of water inside that can be used to wash/drink/flush when the water system does freeze.

4. Don't worry about the holding tanks. Who cares if the cr.. freezes? It will be thawed by the time you get home ready to dump. Less odor when frozen, too.

5. Do pour a little water-system-antifreeze in each of the P-traps, including the shower, each night.

6. The heater can run a lot on the real cold windy nights. Killed the battery several times before I got the little Honda generator. Deep snow muffles the generator well, and it is NOT considered bad manners to run it thru the night. Next year I WILL have a catalytic heater.

7. A carpet runner strip for the winter saves the carpets for summer use.

8. Newspapers. Several layers of papers around the doorway make cleanup of boots & shoes easier. Kirkwood parks us in a muddy pig sty parking lot, so there is always lots of mud & snow. Fold em up and toss the mess.

9. Tires - maybe the Nokian tires are overkill, but I loved the fact that they stick like glue to ice & snow. They work better withOut the chains. Put several thousand miles on frozen roads without any hint of a slip. Make sure the ones you have are Not a Summer Rib tread. It is not easy to find M&S in a D load range.

10. My four-banger has no guts when above 8,000 feet. Just take your time. (you have little choice, anyway) Maybe I am in 1st going up the final climbs, but this little truck WILL get me there.

The SkiBumMobile proved to be a wonderful base of operations. A warm, dry & cozy retreat from the storm.

Best of luck to you.

Let is Snow!

Hi,

you are so wonderful to share all of your great info. hopefully i can make it to Jackson Hole and Telluride and steamboat this winter..... is your toy rv a 4 wheel drive??

if you think of anything else - please feel free to share. i Really appreciate it!!!

Noreen in Breckenridge.

I winterize my Toy and then use bottled water for all my needs. I mix up a 50/50 batch of water and RV antifreeze to flush the toilet with. In WY finding open dump sites can be a problem in the winter. When you return home it still below freezing everywhere.

The SkiBumMobile proved to be a wonderful base of operations. A warm, dry & cozy retreat from the storm.

Wow!

What a great read! It's reached the over 100F mark today, and doesn't look like letting up for a while.

PH, I've never experienced a winter with snows anywhere near your description. After reading your tips, I'm halfway tempted to. Sounds like great fun!!!

Somewhere I heard (most likely a past post on this forum) that creating an air barrier by taping (or velcro-ing) heavy gauge plastic sheeting around the base of the MH.....(in wide enough lengths that snow can be packed along the bottom to hold it down....like a reversed tipi liner) might help trap and hold in heat and deter outside air from cooling the floor. I imagine if you spend alot of time chasing snow, that velcro would be the best, and the plastic could be used over and over.

More snow stories please!!!!!!

Shanda and Sadie

Sizzlin' in Central Oklahoma

• 9 months later...

Winter #2 update:

I will admit that California ski trips are different that Winter States ski camping. One of the beauties of this sad State is that you can take advantage of some of the very BEST that mother nature can offer, than easily come back home where it is warm and dry... 8,000' to 100' in a couple hours. And a two foot dump will happen regularly. Just last week!

11. Cutting back on air flow under the floor does make a big difference. The best nights are when I get back from Bubb's to find 8" - 10" of snow in the lot (love those blizzards) and you have snow almost up to the floor. A little shovel work to build a berm upwind of the rig also works well. A 1 1/2' berm is higher than the side opening, and will deflect most of the wind. Burying the rig is not required. The plastic panels probably would work, but probably a pain to manage.

12. Since I park in an often muddy dirt lot, try to park next to a good patch of snow/ice or shovel in a bunch of snow. The objective is to have the snow path clean off most of the mud from your boots or the dogs feet before you get to the door. And lots of newspaper.

13. I keep the Outdoor sender for the thermometer next to the water pump. Lets me know if/when I need to worry about the system freezing. Keep that cabinet door open! I may replace the door front with a wire grill.

14. I am not using the catalytic as much as intended. Tough to get enough airflow in the back of my rig to keep the CO alarm from sounding. I added another roof vent in the back, but when you have snow on the roof, it falls inside when you open the vent. Later after it thaws, you have water soaking into the ceiling. Need a vent cover, I guess.

15. The Honda 1000 does not have enough oomph to charge a Real Low battery. The charger is trying to suck more amps from the generator than it likes. It is amazing how much over spec that the generator gives, but it has its limits. So, if it is real low, I start the engine and let it put out it's 35 amps for a while. After a few minutes, I add the generator and kill the engine.

16. I made a connection with the Mountain Utilities boss, and now can get propane at the mountain. It is no longer a limiting factor on the length of the stay. So I stay warm. And I decided that the battery is just another regular expense, so if I kill it quicker than I should, so be it. I stay warm.

17. The mono-bar windshield wipers are way better than any of the blades that use springs. Both brands seem to work well. The wiper arm adapters are the weak point in the system.

18. Binding covers are a REQUIREMENT for carrying the skis on the back. They get filthy. Still think that a ski box on the roof would be a pain to load/unload by myself.

19. I need solar power.

20. Grover Hot Springs State Park makes a wonderful apres ski excursion. And they have showers!

The little rig has worked wonderfully again this season. We were there over 40 nights this season. And another storm is forecast for next week!

Let is Snow!

Ah spring in Maine makes you want to jump in the MH and head to the beach.

post-669-12715224878785_thumb.jpg

In Florida! Not to get off subject have you guys tried the package wrap that comes in rolls to wrap the lower part of the MH?

I've been wondering and might as well ask here if anyone has added, say, another inch of foam insulation while rebuilding walls and/or ceilings. An inch might not be much, but it seems to be about as much is there originally!

I was wondering if any one has used the bubble stuff with the silver front and back over the foam then the paneling.

I have a full time rear bed model. I have glued Reflectix to floor and walls under the bed, a layer under the mattress. I removed all the drawers and open cabinets and glued the Reflectix to the floor and wall there too. When I redid my flooring I uses a sheet of 1/2 rigid foil faced foam and 3/8 plywood as an underlayment for the vinyl flooring.

An insulated blanket between the cab and house makes a big difference too.

Ive camped in temps down to 0 degrees many times.

PH, I'm guessing your rig has duelly's. How do they handle in the snow?

Boot dryer and hanging rack in the bathroom?

We've got a "homesteaded" backcountry hut up here in NW MT and use a propane powered Mr Heater. Works great. Quiet, sips fuel, has a CO shut off, and works as a great way to heat up leftovers wrapped in aluminumfoil.

Snows about gone up here, bikes are out. Enjoy your late season storms.