Brake and battery light

I have an 83 dolphin my wife and I are using for the summer. While in route to our summer job the brake and battery light came on at the same time. There were no other symptoms and the brakes and charging system still seem to work just fine. Any ideas what I could check? Is there a fuse or sensor or something? Thanks!

This occasionally happens to me. I went into almost panic mode the first time it happened. It happens to others not really sure why, but in my case, it usually goes away after awhile or I pull to the side shut off the ignition and turn it back on and it works as advertised. Someone on this site probably has the reason why it does it and a permanent fix.

Good Luck,

Allen

I would get the two lights when I got a trip of the automatic-reset circuit breaker installed between the alternator and the isolator. The breaker quickly resets, so I still read power with my voltmeter, but the two indicator lights would stay on until an engine restart. But then it would trip again, depending how dead my batteries were and how hard the alternator was working. I could hear it click when it tripped. I could see the two indicator lights momentarily dim when it tripped again. And again.

One time when both batteries were down and I had to use the lights, I could not get it to last more than seconds. Finally disconnected the coach battery until the chassis battery was charged.

I do not recall seeing the problem until after I had replaced the isolator solenoid with the solid state isolator. I tried replacing the original 25 amp breaker with a 50 amp breaker. Still got the trip unless I just by-passed the breaker. Finally decided that I did not want a breaker in this position. I do not want to limit the output of my alternator. The standard pickup does not have this breaker and there is a breaker next to the coach battery. I left the breaker there to use as a terminal block. Maybe the original purpose is to protect against a hot wire rubbing through...

Do cover all of the hot terminals for the breaker and the isolator, they are just hanging out there exposed. I do not want to accidentally make a fat short to ground. I used a crutch tip for the breaker and a piece of milk jug for the isolator.

Good luck

John

• 3 weeks later...

How did you check the charging system.

When that happened to us on our trip the battery voltage went from 14.3 to 12.1 in about 10 min. I jumpered the house battery in and drove for 8 hr with out an alternator.