Portable Generator

Hi there,

I just certified myself a Toyota Motorhome newbie by buying a 87 Dolphin yesterday. I think there are many questions that needs to be asked cos not just I am a TM newbie, I am also a RV newbie, so please bear with me.

My first question is that I noticed I would require a portable generator for my Dolphin as it lacks one built in and since many things inside the RV depended upon AC hookup to work. Without AC, only lamps and the cooking range exhaust fan works.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think in lieu of a hookup, a portable generator can be substituted, is this true? MY concept is to start the generator and plug the AC hookup into it.

If so, could anyone point me to the right direct as where I can find a generator with good value, quiet, with decent output, can work for a reasonable length of time ... etc?

Many thanks for the help.

About the only thing that will not run is your roof top air conditioning unless connected to shore power. If you want to run the roof A/C then you need to know what it needs as far as amperage watts etc. The little Honda 1000 watts usually are not big enough so you need to up to 2000 watts. The Honda's are almost dead quiet but they are not cheap, even used. So you can use that as a baseline for noise and what you are willing to accept. The other consideration is the campers around you, too noisy and they may came gunning for you. Manufactures DB ratings can be misleading so an actual hear it test is usually in order.

I would like to pick up a Honda myself, a 2k one would be nice but will probably settle for a 1k model because of cost. Running the A/C is last on my list but being able to charge my batteries with out running the engine is what I want. A friend of mine has a off brand 2k generator that's supposed to be quiet. I have not heard it so maybe I will give him a call and find out how loud and what it is.

Here is the formula for calculating watts to amps etc. To get watts amps times volts. To get amps divide watts by volts.

About the only thing that will not run is your roof top air conditioning unless connected to shore power. If you want to run the roof A/C then you need to know what it needs as far as amperage watts etc. The little Honda 1000 watts usually are not big enough so you need to up to 2000 watts. The Honda's are almost dead quiet but they are not cheap, even used. So you can use that as a baseline for noise and what you are willing to accept. The other consideration is the campers around you, too noisy and they may came gunning for you. Manufactures DB ratings can be misleading so an actual hear it test is usually in order.

I would like to pick up a Honda myself, a 2k one would be nice but will probably settle for a 1k model because of cost. Running the A/C is last on my list but being able to charge my batteries with out running the engine is what I want. A friend of mine has a off brand 2k generator that's supposed to be quiet. I have not heard it so maybe I will give him a call and find out how loud and what it is.

Here is the formula for calculating watts to amps etc. To get watts amps times volts. To get amps divide watts by volts.

Many thanks for your reply.

I noticed that without external power, the lights are very, very dim and those AC outlets (Including the microwave) is not working. Also, without external power, the fridge would have to be run on propane, too.

I live in Vancouver, BC and recently I came across this posting:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rvs/1179744036.html

I am interested in it but don't know the quietness of it. Since I am just a small potato I can't afford an expensive generator.

What I don't understand is, it says the output is 230V? So can it be plugged onto the AC hookup of the RV?

I have another question if you don't mind me asking, if I put a charger onto the battery in the hood when it's parked, will that charge up the deep cycle battery too? And when there's an AC hookup, will the electricity charge the deep cycle battery?

Again, forgive my ignorance and thanks for your help.

Without external power (shore or generator) you will not have power at any of the AC outlets. Dim lights without external power means the coach deep cycle battery is low. It needs charging or replacement. There is a converter box in the coach that takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC to run all of the 12 volt items in the coach, ie lights, water pump, refrigerator, etc. it also contains a battery charger to charge your battery. Keep the motorhome plugged in to shore power 120VAC for at least 48 hours and see if your lights are bright after disconnecting the AC, if not you may need a new battery. Greg is the expert on this subject.

The Hyundai generator sounds like it for the European market. I think Canada and the US have the same power standards. Your motorhome runs on 120VAC (115-125) and 60 cycles if it is built for the American market.

Allen

Hello.

I just bought an 1850W, Powermite generator at Costco for $245.00.

A Honda 2000 is 60DB and $999.00. This is 65DB and it works great.

What a bargain!!

T.A.J.

Thanks for your input. I will check out Costco Vancouver.

The only thing I can find is a Cummins Onan P1700i there. It costs CAD1130 plus taxes (12%). Couldn't find the Honda one.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?P...topnav=&s=1

Edited by centralman

Without external power (shore or generator) you will not have power at any of the AC outlets. Dim lights without external power means the coach deep cycle battery is low. It needs charging or replacement. There is a converter box in the coach that takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC to run all of the 12 volt items in the coach, ie lights, water pump, refrigerator, etc. it also contains a battery charger to charge your battery. Keep the motorhome plugged in to shore power 120VAC for at least 48 hours and see if your lights are bright after disconnecting the AC, if not you may need a new battery. Greg is the expert on this subject.

The Hyundai generator sounds like it for the European market. I think Canada and the US have the same power standards. Your motorhome runs on 120VAC (115-125) and 60 cycles if it is built for the American market.

Allen

Thanks for your reply. Again, forgive my ignorance. I don't know what you meant by converter box. I only know there's an AC hookup in one of the outside compartments. The compartment that stores the deep cycle battery is very small, I can't readily take that battery out, it's got lots of wires attached plus some fuses too.

So without shore power, fridge won't work at all, that means if I need the fridge running when the car moves, then it has to be run on propane? Is it dangerous?

There are a number of Honda look a likes out there the Honda’s are very quiet but you pay for that dearly. I have a 1500 watt one (2000 watts peak) that is reasonably quiet that I use around the farm that would run your 120 volt stuff except for the A/C they are about 50# and fairly small. I only paid $180 for it so they are around. Your lights may seem dimmer then when it is plugged in that is normal the converters usually make more voltage then even a charged battery. You should be able to run your fridge on gas even moving just be sure to turn it off before you gas up the MH! Usually I run the fridge on 12 volts driving then switch to gas when I’m parked I’m to numb to remember to turn the gas off before I fill the fuel tank. (same goes for the water heater) Your MH is 120 volts and most of the cheap generators are only 120 volts take a road trip to Washington one weekend and pick one up in the states tell customs it’s been there all along! (don’t forget to throw the packing away!) I run one exactly like the one in the pictures (different name and a lot more money) in QC Canada for 4 days 12 to 16 hours each day and used less then 20 liters

post-669-1243035553_thumb.jpg

post-669-1243035591_thumb.jpg

Here is a link for some of the small quiet generators http://www.khulsey.com/rv_info/portable_ca...generators.html

Thanks, I would really love to get a Honda EU2000i but I need to further research on where I could actually get one with a good price in Vancouver. If anyone's around here and know this information please let me know, thanks again.

There are a number of Honda look a likes out there the Honda's are very quiet but you pay for that dearly. I have a 1500 watt one (2000 watts peak) that is reasonably quiet that I use around the farm that would run your 120 volt stuff except for the A/C they are about 50# and fairly small. I only paid $180 for it so they are around. Your lights may seem dimmer then when it is plugged in that is normal the converters usually make more voltage then even a charged battery. You should be able to run your fridge on gas even moving just be sure to turn it off before you gas up the MH! Usually I run the fridge on 12 volts driving then switch to gas when I'm parked I'm to numb to remember to turn the gas off before I fill the fuel tank. (same goes for the water heater) Your MH is 120 volts and most of the cheap generators are only 120 volts take a road trip to Washington one weekend and pick one up in the states tell customs it's been there all along! (don't forget to throw the packing away!) I run one exactly like the one in the pictures (different name and a lot more money) in QC Canada for 4 days 12 to 16 hours each day and used less then 20 liters

Many thanks for your reply. So I would consider picking a generator up in WA. I will do some research on where best to get one in WA. Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think a Honda EU2000i could run the roof A/C?

The problem with my fridge is I don't think it'll run on 12V. Perhaps it may be due to the fact that the deep cycle battery is low or something cos once I unplugged the shore power it just went dead. I haven't tried turning on the car engine and see if it runs. I need to figure out the deep cycle's state at this point.

I know the RVers just want to get out of town and have a good time, I am concerned with what level of noise would cause disturbance to others ...

Many thanks for your reply. So I would consider picking a generator up in WA. I will do some research on where best to get one in WA. Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think a Honda EU2000i could run the roof A/C?

The problem with my fridge is I don't think it'll run on 12V. Perhaps it may be due to the fact that the deep cycle battery is low or something cos once I unplugged the shore power it just went dead. I haven't tried turning on the car engine and see if it runs. I need to figure out the deep cycle's state at this point.

I know the RVers just want to get out of town and have a good time, I am concerned with what level of noise would cause disturbance to others ...

You will probably need at least a 2800 watt generator to run A/C, your fridge probably is only a two way which means it will only run on a/c current or propane not 12 volt.

You will probably need at least a 2800 watt generator to run A/C, your fridge probably is only a two way which means it will only run on a/c current or propane not 12 volt.

My camping partner has bought two Honda 2000's with a package that hooks the two together.

Very quite. Very nice. Very EXSPENSIVE!

$2400.00 HUHHH!

T.A.J.

I checked out the Coleman Roof AC manual, it says on normal mode it needs 1300 watts. I think it need another 3-400 or so watts when it's at "Hi Cool".

I am just wondering, so is it safe to light up the fridge with propane and run it while the vehicle is in motion?

I checked out the Coleman Roof AC manual, it says on normal mode it needs 1300 watts. I think it need another 3-400 or so watts when it's at "Hi Cool".

I am just wondering, so is it safe to light up the fridge with propane and run it while the vehicle is in motion?

Yes. But be sure to turn it off when you stop for gas just to be on the safe side.

I run with my fridge lit always. I never thought to shut it off while fueling. Good idea though and I will from now on.

Thanks for the safety tip!!!!

T.A.J.

Yes. But be sure to turn it off when you stop for gas just to be on the safe side.

Thanks, so do you know if I need a 2000 watt or 3000 watt generator based on the requirement from the roof A/C?

Based on the Coleman Manual, it says:

Running Watts (Cooling, Standard): 1000W

Running Watts (Cooling, Maximum): 1280W

And Microwave Power Consumption: 1050W (I assume I wouldn't be using A/C and microwave simultaneously)

And may I ask where in the States could I get the best deal if I decided to go buy a Honda EU2000i? (Can travel down to WA or OR to get it)

Many thanks

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where would you put your portable generators when you are out Boondocking? I assume that's when you need a portable generator the most, and you'll need to put it somewhere safe from theft, right?

I did not think it was a good idea to drive around with the gas on, and it may be illegal. Mine has an electric setting, so I used the electric when driving and gas when docked.

Some people mount the generator to the rear bumper.

I did not think it was a good idea to drive around with the gas on, and it may be illegal. Mine has an electric setting, so I used the electric when driving and gas when docked.

Some people mount the generator to the rear bumper.

Thanks, I agree driving around with gas on is not good but I think my dometic fridge (I think model # is 2300) only works on either shore power or propane, this really doesn't make sense as surely one will need the fridge on when the car is in motion.

I am thinking of getting a Honda portable generator, where do people put those kind of generator when boondocking? (I assume they will keep it inside the vehicle when it's not in use since it is small).

Thanks, I agree driving around with gas on is not good but I think my dometic fridge (I think model # is 2300) only works on either shore power or propane, this really doesn't make sense as surely one will need the fridge on when the car is in motion.

I am thinking of getting a Honda portable generator, where do people put those kind of generator when boondocking? (I assume they will keep it inside the vehicle when it's not in use since it is small).

On my '85 Dolphin a Honda 2000 watt generator will fit in the side compartment that was meant to house the optional built-in generator. I just use it for storage, now. I also checked out a 2400 watt Yamaha generator that will run an older roof-top air conditioner. The yamaha will almost fit in the side compartment, too. By shaving down the carry handle on the top, it will fit.

In any case, do not run the generator while its in this compartment! Take it out and set it on the ground before using the unit.

On my '85 Dolphin a Honda 2000 watt generator will fit in the side compartment that was meant to house the optional built-in generator. I just use it for storage, now. I also checked out a 2400 watt Yamaha generator that will run an older roof-top air conditioner. The yamaha will almost fit in the side compartment, too. By shaving down the carry handle on the top, it will fit.

In any case, do not run the generator while its in this compartment! Take it out and set it on the ground before using the unit.

Thanks for your reply. I guess with careful power management a Honda 2000W generator will fit my needs. I just need to remind myself NOT to simultaneously use the microwave and the a/c at the same time.

I noticed there is a solar panel on the roof. That charges the deep cycle battery slowly, right?

For you Ham operators who are ARRL members there is an advertiser in this months QST for the Honda EU2000 for $879 (MSRP $1,079.95) and the EU1000 for $649.

Thanks for the tip. Is the company called Mayberry which is selling this?